Solo Archery Hunt - Trophy Bulls In Grizzly Country

Would you archery hunt trophy elk alone in the heart of grizzly country?

• Absolutely. Is it September, yet?

Votes: 38 57.6%
  • Not with a bow, but I would with a rifle.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • No chance. I don’t hunt grizzly country alone.

Votes: 17 25.8%

• Total voters

Rimrock

If you had a great elk tag in your pocket that allowed you to archery hunt trophy class bulls during the rut (and also allowed you to hunt after the rut with a rifle), but the area is known for grizzlies, what would your approach be?

The catch: you’re hunting alone.

Interested in your thought process, precautions you’d take if you would hunt, and any photos or stories from those who’ve done it.

Pretty much my life last year and probably this year.

Bear spray AND a pistol. Backup for the backup not attached to you backpack waist belt. Some places I’m creeping into iv got the spray in my hand.

I don’t really call either

Planning on hunting with a rifle solo in grizz country for the first time this year. I’m mostly a bow hunter, but choosing to hunt this area with a rifle because I would rather have my hunting weapon capable of dispatching a bear if need be and I have an archery tag for another state. I’ll also have spray and a 9mm with hardcast ammo.

My biggest worry is when breaking down an elk solo. I’m planning on building a big fire nearby, watching my back and keeping my bear deterrents on my hip with my rifle leaned against the elk

Hmmm, if it was my only choice, I would take precautions and probably go. I have hunted alone in Grizzly country with a rifle, but still found myself grabbing the sidearm when I ran into a grizzly.

I would try real hard to get somebody to go with you. You would be much more comfortable and probably hunt harder. There has got to be somebody that would like to go.

Been chased by a grizzly and without a partner and a gun I would be dead. Not saying I would not go, but I doubt I would go and I wouldn’t call. Most likely hire a guide. I don’t like to hunt with a guide, but I like grizzlies less!!!

I contemplate grizzly units every year, but keep applying elsewhere

Been chased by a grizzly and without a partner and a gun I would be dead. Not saying I would not go, but I doubt I would go and I wouldn’t call. Most likely hire a guide. I don’t like to hunt with a guide, but I like grizzlies less!!!

I contemplate grizzly units every year, but keep applying elsewhere
Did he drop that monster?!

I live here so I don’t hire a guide let alone could affford it

Done it a couple times. Not an ideal situation but can be done if you are very attentive. There are guys with WAY more bear experience than me, but my biggest pieces of advice:

- Be VERY cautious if calling (I only called in relatively open areas where I was able to see and never in dense cover).
- Be VERY cautious sneaking into a herd of vocal elk (a bear might also be hunting that herd)
- Be VERY VERY cautious while breaking down the animal and watch your back constantly.
- Get the meat hung away from the carcass as soon as possible.
- Hang the meat in an area where you can see it from a safe distance on your return trips.
- Don't pack meat in the dark.
- Watch your back when packing meat.

I pack spray AND sidearm (spray doesn't do much good from inside a tent or in a strong wind).

I have been lucky and haven't had any grizz issues so far. Had one scare a couple years ago when I got back to my bivy camp and found my cache of food not in the tree any more. Thought for sure a grizz had knocked it down somehow. I approached with spray in left hand and .44 mag in right hand, but found out another tree had fallen on it and knocked it down.
Had an issue once when a black bear pressed his nose against the side of my bivy tent about a foot from my head in the middle of the night (hard to fall asleep after that - LOL)

I will be in grizz country again this fall but will be helping my son on his rifle hunt and there will be 2 or 3 of us so much safer!!

Done it a couple times. Not an ideal situation but can be done if you are very attentive. There are guys with WAY more bear experience than me, but my biggest pieces of advice:

- Be VERY cautious if calling (I only called in relatively open areas where I was able to see and never in dense cover).
- Be VERY cautious sneaking into a herd of vocal elk (a bear might also be hunting that herd)
- Be VERY VERY cautious while breaking down the animal and watch your back constantly.
- Get the meat hung away from the carcass as soon as possible.
- Hang the meat in an area where you can see it from a safe distance on your return trips.
- Don't pack meat in the dark.
- Watch your back when packing meat.

I pack spray AND sidearm (spray doesn't do much good from inside a tent or in a strong wind).

I have been lucky and haven't had any grizz issues so far. Had one scare a couple years ago when I got back to my bivy camp and found my cache of food not in the tree any more. Thought for sure a grizz had knocked it down somehow. I approached with spray in left hand and .44 mag in right hand, but found out another tree had fallen on it and knocked it down.
Had an issue once when a black bear pressed his nose against the side of my bivy tent about a foot from my head in the middle of the night (hard to fall asleep after that - LOL)

I will be in grizz country again this fall but will be helping my son on his rifle hunt and there will be 2 or 3 of us so much safer!!
Very good advice … especially once the bull is down. Good luck to your son this fall!

Any thoughts (anyone?) on an electric fence around camp? Is it a real deterrent or just marketing hype?

I did it for a week before my buddies showed up. It was very frustrating seeing bulls I could not go after because I knew mama Grizzly was in that draw as well so no way to cut one up at dusk alone. Getting woofed at by a mama Grizzly will change your perspective - Hopefully reduced bravado to more common sense.

I did it for a week before my buddies showed up. It was very frustrating seeing bulls I could not go after because I knew mama Grizzly was in that draw as well so no way to cut one up at dusk alone. Getting woofed at by a mama Grizzly will change your perspective - Hopefully reduced bravado to more common sense.
I have no interest in an encounter with mama grizzly.

Common sense > bravado

I’m old enough to know I’m not invincible

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom