Some 2011 Shed Success

northface

I have been a long time fan of this site and forum. This is my first time posting some pictures in this particular forum. I was finally able to get some great ATL's and kept myself disciplined this year to always carry my camera.

This first set was found while I was moving down a fairly thick PJ/Mahogany mix, south face when I hit a heavily used elk trail. As soon as I looked to my left I saw this guy stuck in the ground, right in the middle of the trail.
8724shed1.jpg

He's little and broke on every tine but cool find
2434shed2.jpg

These next couple were found in late March. I was driving up a canyon and saw what I think every shed hunter loves to see, Bucks and Bulls with fuzzy knobs on their head. They were about 600 yards up the canyon, I let them feed into the trees and starting picking the hill apart. I ending up finding both sets, one was a 5x5 that had 58" and 59" beams and the other was a solid 340 six. A bonus was finding one of the six point's sides from the year before, it was laying 40 yards from this years set! It makes you think that if a Bull finds a good hole somewhere and isn't tampered with, he may drop year in and year out in that same location. Anyway, here's some pics - one of the five point, six point and the six point's last year's shed.
4767elkshed1.jpg

2984elkshed2.jpg

6380elkshed3.jpg

Hey! Thanks for posting! I love to see ATL & terrain pics posted up. Even old "whiteys" or "greys" or broken off points have a story behind how they got there. My last hike, all I found was the top 1/3 of a 6-pt. bull where he'd broken his rack in a fight with a tree!

That's some beautiful country that you found those nice looking sheds in.
Thanks for sharing.

Eldorado

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-11 AT 00:23AM (MST)[p]Way cool ATL pics! Love the elk shed stuck in the ground looks pretty deep in the ground too. It reminds me one time one of my dads friend found a rag horn elk shed stuck in the ground about 8 in with part of the skull on the base of the horn. That bull wanted that horn off so bad that he broke a part of his skull off and it was a shed because it was around shed season and brown with lots of blood on the shed base with part of the skull. Wish I had pics to post.

Thanks guys for the welcome. I appreciate the follow up stories as well. I've never ran across a shed story that isn't worth sharing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom