Some coyotes hit the snow!

jarheadhunter

Well got out coyote hunting for my second time this year. I went in Nov. to a competition in WY and got the Big Goose Egg. So needless to say I wanted a little revenge. I went with my buddy that I often go with. Our first set was a spot we have called in coyotes 2 previous times and not got any. The first time we had one work into us and it came over the hill and saw my Mojo Critter decoy and turned around and hauled a** out of there. That was the first and last time I used that. Then the secone time I went there with my cousin and had a group of 3 or 4 working in on us. My cousin got pretty excited because it was his first time and swung his rifle towards the coyotes right when they were looking at him. Well as you can imagine they blew out of there and no shots fired again. Well back to this weekend. We had set up and I was running the call and my buddy was about 25 yds to my right. I did a locator call and we had two groups that were straight down the draw we were setup in. I started the rabbit distress call after that. It hadn't been 5 min before the first coyote was running in to us. I didn't see it until it was directly in front of my buddy about 50 yds in front of him. Just as I got it in my sight's "BOOM" and then he dropped. I turned over to a pup distress and then continued with the rabbit distress after that. The coyote even though he took one right in the boiler room got up so my buddy had to put another one in him. So two shots fired, but I have seen them still come in after shooting so I kept the calling up. At about 10 min I saw another coyote come over the hill towards my buddy. I got my gun pointed in the direction he would be comming from as he went behind a little knoll. The next time I saw him he was starting to head the opposite direction so my buddy dropped him too. So first stand and 2 dogs down. Here are the pics.
441coyote3.jpg

I decided to not post one because it has 2 rather large holes in it and I don't think some people would like that. So we made a few more sets and got to shoot at some running road dogs, but usually don't have much success with those. We got to another spot that we wanted to call and got setup. My buddy was to my left this time and I figured thats the way the dogs would come in if they did. So again I did a locator call and we had some respond that were way out in front of us. I started the rabbit distress and called off and on for about 12 min. Then I heard my buddy move so I looked over at him and saw that he had swung to his left and was looking up the draw from us. I was like great more shooting for him. Well I never saw the coyote where he was looking so I decided to watch back in front of me where we heard the other coyotes. About 2 min later I see a flash come over the hill a little to my left straight in front of my buddy. I got my gun on the coyote and he was headed straight for the call that was about 25 yds in front of me. I let him get about 50 yds from us and gave him a bark to stop him. Then the old .22-250 did its job and put one right in his chest. Here is a pic.
3619coyote2.jpg

He was a good size male I thought. So we went and did a few more set with no luck. We ended the day with the 3, but it was a good day and we had a blast. Here is a couple more pics.
6832coyote5.jpg

7260coyote4.jpg

Josh

jarheadhunter... Nice job!! you actually have snow already? that's my favorite hunting predators in the white stuff.
great story! Thanks for sharing and keep pounding them!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

NICE going jarhed. All great looking dogs. Thanks for sharing.

"...I got a shotgun, rifle, and a 4 wheel
drive, and a country boy can survive..."

Hank Williams Jr.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom