someone that thinks there are no more good houndsmen

B

bearman

LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-09 AT 07:12PM (MST)[p]I read this and laughed, this comes from someone that doesn't go lion hunting or have the first clue about lions or lion hunting today and much less about the great Wiley Carroll.

Wiley Carroll - Legendary Mountain Lion Hunter - Nevada PDF Print E-mail
Written by Mike Laughlin
Tuesday, 09 December 2008

You hear the new breed of today's mountain lion hunter's in Nevada whining that there are no lions left to catch and they need a good snow cover to find a track. This is a poor hunter's excuse as to why they cannot catch a lion. No snow and no tracks.

In the days of old, before snow machines, 4-wheelers, and two-way radios, there were men like Wiley Carroll who took to the Nevada mountains with his horse, dogs, and a warm coat. I happen to know this because I was there.

Wiley Carroll started out his mountain lion hunting career along the

Deschutes River in Central Oregon. Wiley caught his first lion with his dogs when he was a teenager. He spent his early years learning his trade and then he was drafted into the Army. Wiley spent his military time with the Army's 85th Infantry Regiments 10th Mountain Division. The unit's specialty involved fighting effectively in harsh conditions and they were one of the first U. S. military units to enter Germany in World War II. Wiley was a packer and worked with Army mules.

After his military tour, he went to work for the famous lion hunters of Arizona- the Lee Brothers. He also hunted jaguar and trapped Mexican wolves in Old Mexico with the Lee Brothers.

After his tour with the Lees, Wiley set out to establish his own reputation as a lion hunter. In 1951, the Nevada Fish and Game Department offered Wiley a fulltime job catching lions. Wiley and his hounds caught lions on dry ground from the southern deserts of Nevada to the high Mountains of Northeastern Nevada. Terrain or ground conditions made no difference to Wiley and his dogs. If the lions were there, Wiley could catch them.

Wiley held his position with Nevada Fish and Game for the next twenty years. During this time, Wiley ran up a record of lions caught with his dogs that has stood for many years. Wiley hauled his horse and dogs in a flatbed pickup with horse rack and did all his hunting by horseback or on foot. He camped out on the sheep and cattle ranges of Nevada with sheepherders and cowboys and laid out many nights under a tree with his dogs for warmth on an old lion track in order to be able to start out early the next day, trailing this cat. Like the majority of the old-time lion hunters, Wiley stuck on a track like glue until the job was done. No one I know today lays out on a lion track anymore. Most of today's hunters give up, go home to their warm beds, and look for another fresh track the following day. Wiley Carroll was a true Nevada legend.

The lions are still here. You just have to have hunters who have the knowledge and tenacity to catch them.

James "Mike" Laughlin

Retired: Supervisory Wildlife Biologist

Bachelor Science Degree - Wildlife Biology - Arizona State University; Tempe; Arizona

31 years working in nine Western states; Mexico, Provinces of Canada

U.S Department of Agriculture & U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service

P.O. Box 28-1807

Lamoille, Nevada 89828

775-778-9104

[email protected]

+1 Brandon,
I could make a list of just the guys I've chased cats with and not a one of them are quiters nor do they complain about the lack of lions. Yes there are a lot more guys with dogs now and a lot more "out of staters" hunting cats in NV and I'm sure there are some that don't have their heart in it. I've always said that the few times that I really thought I was going to die are not from fighting bulls, but out in the cold mountains of NV chasing cats. I can put my name and reputation on the line to say that these guys I'm talking about are true "hardcore" houndsmen and one of these guys is bearman himself.
Dusty

Mr Laughlins description of Wiley Carroll is pretty accurate....he was a dedicated houndsman and trapper. He was more than willing to share his knowledge and wisdom with anyone that would care to listen. I knew him personally and to this day out of all the dogs I have ran, the one that came from Wiley has not been out done. I will share that story about that dog another time. I for one will miss Wiley Carroll and I have thought of him often especially when I trailed across a location I knew he had "been there done that".

However....I have to strongly disagree with Mr Laughlins comments concerning houndsman that have come after Wiley's been there done that. To say that modern houndsman are whiners and can't track without snow is an unfortunate over exageration. I will admit however I have ran across a few that I would have to wonder what the heck are they doing out here. I only layed down overnight with my dogs to keep warm once....I am not too prideful to say that the only reason was the lion ledged my dogs and i was afraid of falling off a cliff in the dark with a dead flashlight trying to come off the mountain. Lay on a track??? Why wait for first light? Heck if there was a track it got run no matter the time or temp day or night. Warm bed??? Ever got so cold and wet your "little man" froze to your long johns?

You hit the nail on the head. I didn't care for the bagging on todays hunters from someone that doesn't have a clue about hunters today.

There is a hell of a lion hunter in 022 at the capero ranch as I speak. Last count he has killed twelve cats in there. Seems he was hired by Big horn sheep interest group that wanted cats thinned out. They reportedly planted sheep and within days had a collared ram killed by cats. He's doing one hell of a job. I would think that all lion hunters would want to hunt western nev. to kill the cali. cats - there are plenty of them here.

Hey Spome, i dont know much about the cats in western Nv. but I do know I see alot of hunters from fallon, reno, cali ect come out here to the east.It just makes me wonder if the lions are really as thick as they say over there?

I'm sure that lion hunter is a good one but I would think killing 12 cats is excessive in any area.........

Youre right! It would be excessive, Its necessary here. He's only operating on one mountain range ie Vinegar and tule mountains. Cats are destroying our herds and we are powerless to do anything about it here in cali. This guy is under contract to hunt these cats. Personally I hope he gets em all

I'm a bit jealous! I wish I could be the one getting paid to hunt my dogs all day every day. He's a lucky guy.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom