Something positive to post about

bassinhunter

Just got done reading about the non resident post and figured now would be a good time to tell a quick story. I'm hoping others will chime in with something or someone they remember related to hunting. Maybe even a good story about an old gun that has great memories as my 12 gauge Sears and Roebuck does for me.....So new years eve I'm having a couple drinks (a lot) and my cousin says I have a song you have to hear and its gonna tear you up! Well he was right. Idk how many of you have heard Aaron Lewis remake of Granddaddy's Gun but I hadn't until that night. Here is the link if anyone wants to hear it.

Well when he said it would hit close to home he was right! My uncle's dad had passed on his old double barrel Sears and Roebuck 12 gauge to him when he was a kid. I guess they had to order it from a Sears and Roebuck catalog because most firearm manufactures were producing guns for war and not for hunting. After I graduated from my bolt action 410 and a single shot 20 gauge that old rough 12 gauge was passed on to me. I didn't really understand what it mean since I was very young. All I knew was I was getting a 12 gauge. The trigger guard was completely missing and before a pheasant hunt in Texas (no draw odds over the counter lol) my dad and uncle took a piece of metal and worked it into a trigger guard. I'll never forget it partly because it still on the gun and mostly because they made the trigger guard too big and everytime I'd shoot it would nail my middle finger. After a good day of hunting I'd bleed form that finger. It was a great wound to have lol. I thought about completely restoring the gun and finding a nice trigger guard for it then parking it in the gun safe. I'm so glad I never did because I feel like it would lose character and the memories of that old trigger guard are worth more than a good looking gun. I have great memories behind that old gun and remember my uncle shooting it also. It's ugly as hell weights damn near a ton but I'd give the world for it. I'll always cherish the memories hunting with my dad uncle and cousin and that gun has always been a part of it!! Maybe you all have a similar story. Come on draw results!!!

I just heard Aaron's remake of this song last week but have replayed it several times since. Awesome, awesome song and thanx for posting your story.

Great stuff, Would love to see a picture of the trigger guard.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Cool story, thanks, I too would love to see a pic of the trigger guard!

Here's mine to add:
Somewhere in the mid 60's my dad decided to get a model 700 Rem and give his model 99 Savage 243 to my older brother. I was very young, around 12, and I really wanted that rifle so I figured the gun was gone from me forever.

My dad died in 1989 and shortly after that my older brother asked if I wanted to buy a couple rifles. I had not thought about that 99 for decades but there it was, in my hands and my brother was placing a dollar figure to it. Needless to say, I bought it.

Fast forward to last year.
I asked my wife if she wanted to use my dad's gun for her deer hunt. She didn't care either way until I explained that I, along with all 4 daughters, had shot deer with "dad's" rifle.

She was honored to use it to shoot a fine buck at first light on opening day. The little .243 mod 99 was once again "1 and done"!

Ya, it's JUST a rifle but you all know what I'm talking about.

Zeke

I was eight years old when my grandfather was killed by a stray bullet during a deer hunt. I've heard many stories about what a good man he was. I don't have a lot of memories of him, but I do remember him sticking up for me once when my mother was about to whack me for smacking my younger brother after he kicked over my lego tower. I thought that was pretty cool.

Anyway, when he was killed I inherited his lever-action .22 Marlin. Over the past 4+ decades I've had many fun times plinkin' around with that thing, and it's a favorite of my kids, boy/girl scouts, etc.

I've had to take it in for repairs a few times and each time the well-intentioned gunsmith has told me that it probably ain't worth the money it's going to take to fix it. But I just smile and say, it's worth it to me.

As long as I'm alive that rifle will never be for sale. But someday I hope to pass it on to one of my grandkids...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom