Son Nick's 2009 WY Antelope

huntjock

4b358b5b63dae63d.jpg

My 16 year old son Nick popped his first antelope this past fall (Sept 10th) in Wyoming. He didn't mind me taking him out of school for the opener (Thursday) and getting him back in time for other social events (Friday and Saturday) important to young boys.

Anyway, we parked and slept in the truck bed the night before the opener. After a quick breakfast the following morning we walked a few hundred yards and spotted some goats with a nice buck. Nick shot at it from about 300 yds away and missed and off they went. I spotted and watched them at about 2000 yards. I made a big loop to try to bring them back around to where Nick was. After a couple of minutes I heard a coyote back where Nick was. Then a shot rang out. Nick radioed and told me he'd got it. I figured he'd popped the coyote, but when I got over to him he'd taken this buck that he'd spotted as he walked over a small hill. 75 yard shot. He said that the coyote was right there as well - until the shot rang out.

The hunt was over pretty fast, which was quite different from the several day deer hunt we had together in Region G in the following weeks where we saw hardly anything and went away empty handed. Either way, hunts with family and friends are always a success!

SWEET!

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

Congratulations Nick ! Very impressive that he shot him with open sights, I'm asssuming a 30-30. Wait til thirtythirty on here sees this post.

Thanks for sharing huntjock !

Thanks, COBUCK!

That's the model 94 30-30 my dad gave me for Christmas just before I turned 16 back in the mid-70's. I shot my first 5 or so deer with it before I got my 30-06...with a scope :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom