Sonic Broadheads

WapitiDave

Has anyone had any experience with these broadheads? They look like they would be an awesome penetrating head. Thinking about picking some up for my wife's elk hunt in September. Any feedback negative/positive would be appreciated.

I used them last year and wasn't pleased with the aluminum ferrule. It didn't hold up when it hit bone. The blades are sharp and I like the cut on impact design but the aluminum has to go if I'm going to use it again. This year I'm trying the Wac em broadheads.

For the best data-driven information on the mechanics of penetration and setting up a hunting arrow / broadhead combination for consistent maximum penetration check out Dr. Ashby's study over at the Trad Gang web-site. You won't see this study in the "main stream" archery hunting mag's, wouldn't sit well with their main advertizing sponsers ($$$).

This type of information become critical at lower bow weights. Set up right a 45# bow can out penetrate a poorly designed 75# 250fps combination.

Recurve

I tried them last year and did not care for them. I took a doe with them and the heads do not seem durable at all to me. Basicly a one shot broadhead. Even when I practiced I noticed an extreme lack of durability.

I shot some Sonic heads this week and after about 8-10 shots into a black hole target the tip of the blades devloped a burr like the three blades were starting to roll over. :(

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom