Son's First Buck

Denny

11310dalton5x5.jpg

44065daltonpackout.jpg

Posted in Youth forum but thought it fit here as well.

Went to Colorado on a self guided trip with my son. We had a great trip and he was able to harvest this 26" 5x5 mule deer with a muzzleloader on the 4th day. We spotted him through the glass and he did a great job getting to 60 yds and dropped him in his tracks.
A couple of my son's acquaintances had asked him what it scored? It is at the Taxidermy so I have no measurements other than the outside spread. Any guesses on what class it might fall in? 160"? 170"? It does not matter to us but for some it helps describe how big he is. If any one wants to make a guess that would be cool. Otherwise I just wanted to share the joy of my son who hunted all day every day really hard on his 3rd buck tag (2 in AZ) and now in Colorado and finally sealed the deal. Thanks guys.

Thanks guys for your response I am new to the forum and have always admired mule deer and really like the site. The deer definitely looked big to us and your right his smile makes it all worth it. Here is a grainy pic of him through the scope and zoomed in with my phone.

90051scopebuck.jpg

Congrats to him. It won't score well because the tines are on the short side. But WHO CARES.He is a great buck and one for him to be proud of. Most hunters won't ever kill something that big.

He got a good one for sure.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

A huge congrats to you and your son. That is a great first buck and on general units a great any year buck. I see that you have caped it. In my opinion the short haired shiny silver cape (like yours) makes the best mounts. With the short hair you see all of the manequin definition; like the veins on the face and the muscle structure. Have that velvet cured and treated good and you're in for an awesome mount. You and your son will relive the memories of the hunt each time you see the mount on the wall.

I'm excited for you. I just shot a muzzy buck with the short hair and it was in the velvet. I'll be posting a story soon.

Don't worry about the tongue comment. I agree the field photos look better with it stuck abck in the mouth but in the excitement of your first kill it's not the first thing on your mind.

Sticking the tongue in is good for future kills. Another tip, if you ever have alot of blood showing you can take some dry dirt and rub it on the blood. looks like the animal was laying in dirt instead of just shot.

One more big congrats.

Thanks for the kind words. Cant wait to hear your story as well. Yes all good tips for next time and yes we were very exited and I am surprised we remembered to take any pics in the field! My wife who is not super keen on having mounts in the house even agreed that a velvet buck will look cool.

Any first buck is a trophy no matter the size but he scored on a good first buck. Enjoy the memories and thoughts of future hunts. Congrats,

Seems like most people in AZ don't count the eye guards either but a guy from Colorado when we were packing it out said yes you do. So I don't know if it was a reginal thing or just him? I was, but it might be an interesting debate??

Thanks Pines_N_Tines for the link to your story I enjoyed reading it. I will follow up when the time comes with the mount pic.

Disrespectful for who? You! The Deer? It's not like it is being paraded through town! It's a hunting pic. If this offends you maybe you should not look at pics on hunting forums Because guess what it's going to show Dead animals. The pic is fine congrats on a beautiful first buck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom