Son's late season Archery Bull

NMPaul

LAST EDITED ON Dec-23-17 AT 07:24PM (MST)[p]So cool when it comes together. Zach has been working hard at this hunt every opportunity since he got the tag. Scouting every chance he could, even though it seems that bulls would not pattern or stay in the same country.
1st Day had a long beamed 6x7 scouted up. Found him around 8:00 watched him all day and he snuck in on him though he was surrounded by 4 other bulls. Had him 70 yards broadside and drew back and realized that the arrow had fallen off of the drop away release. Got to mention that I am a whisker biscuit guy and have pestered him about that before. The bull held for 7-8 seconds then took off. From where me and Rodrigo were glassing we could watch that group of bulls run out of the country for over half a mile. Dang!!

Next day was discouraging. Our go to spot only had 3 small bulls, and when we went to our other strong spot a couple of herds of cows had moved in, and normally when that happens, that means that the better bulls move out. No stalks that day. 2 days gone of a 5 day hunt. Standards drop, anxiety starts to set in, and spots you felt were money start to get sketchy.

3rd day. Rod, could not help this day, but, Luke and Tony were here. Luke had been getting up at 4:00 last week or so scouting with Zach and Luke is one of the few people that has killed a bull on this very difficult late season archery elk tag. Luke and Tony would prove to be key to Zachs success this day, me not so much. Zach came up with a great plan. Zach and Luke would be on one end of a huge 20 mile triangle. It would prove to be almost a 20 mile day for both of them in some very rough country. I would hike into a glassing spot 12 miles from them, and Tony would be another 10 miles away at a 3rd spot glassing.

7:30, I located a decent bull that had a broken G5, but, within standards for 3rd day of this tough hunt. We all kept glassing hard for another hour and the decision was made that Zach and Luke would cut cross country and meet up with me to hunt this bull. They had almost reached me and Tony radioed saying he found a better bull. That quickly, me and my bull were kicked to the curb and Tony?s bull was the priority. Zach and Luke met up with me and the decision was made that I would stay on my bull, they would hike the 3 miles to my truck and take it to where Tony hiked into his glassing area. Luckily being on top of the mountain I was able to hear the radio chatter between Zach and Tony as they tried to find each other in the middle of some big country.

They all met up. I put my bull to bed and listened into the action. Tony?s bull had bedded by himself which is always a help. As Tony and Luke watched, Zach stalked in. Got within 60 yards on stocking feet and was at a stalemate. Had ran out of cover and could not get closer and all he could see was tips of antlers. After a while, made the decision to step out from cover at full draw and make the shot. When he stepped out, the bull was stone dead asleep. Zach aimed between neck and shoulder and made a perfect shot. The bull never got out of his bed. One more arrow and the bull was down for good. I heard the screaming on the radio, and all I could do was get on my radio and beg for someone to come and get me, as they had my truck. Luke hiked down from that mountain and drove to where I was hiking out. Luke logged almost 20 miles on brand new boots and had the blisters to prove it. I got to join in on the celebrating and the pack out. What a great day. So much work was put into getting this bull down on a very tough hunt. Time spent with friends in a challenging task is always memorable, but, for it to end in success is that much sweeter.

Zach's bull and coues he got in the last month, sure made me eating my AZ Kaibab tag a lot easier to take. That was the best tag I had ever drawn and I never pulled the trigger. Some hunts come together, and some do not.

91434dsc0058.jpg

77102img3013.jpg

99153dsc0120.jpg

Whole new respect brother. CONGRATU-FREAKIN-LATIONS!!! Taking a bull of that caliber with this time of year with archery tackle is next to impossible!! Merry Christmas!!

Very nice bull! Thanks for sharing.

I'm always amazed how quickly those tags sell.

Not sure everyone knows how tough a hunt they are in for.

Wow, that's a great accomplishment, congrats to you all.

(I'm still a whisker biscuit guy myself, but I had my share of screw-ups this year, in other ways)

Though the bull was not very heavy, he is very old. Teeth worn down to gums, missing teeth, and a Montec broad head in his neck when we were cutting him up.
He was an old loner. I would not have guessed he was so old.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom