son's oryx

zia

Here are a couple of pictures of my son's New Mexico Oryx. He shot it at 215 yards with a 25 mile cross wind. 300 win mag, barnes 180 grain tsx. One day before his 14th birthday....nice present.

Picture129.jpg

Picture136.jpg

Outstanding!! Beautiful bull. Congrats to the young man. Did he take it on the Army base?
MIKE

We took it on an off-range hunt, he was with a herd of about 15 others. A couple of the cows in the herd were huge (40"). We stalked to 75 yards of one of the big cows but Matt wanted a bull (we shot a 40" cow a few years ago). He held off and waited until we could get a shot at the bull (he has a LOT more patience than I did at 13 years-old).

Great bull!! congrats to your son on a great trophy.. I love those Gemsbok. they make a great mount in the house..

Congrats to you and your son Zia. That is a great trophy, especially for the off-range hunts.

I hunted Gemsbok in Namibia and shot a bull, but I couldn't figure out how to tell bull from cow. Other than sex organs, which are hard to see at 200 yards, how did you pick out the bull? I relied on my PH's advice.

I know what you mean, it seems like they all look the same. I have been lucky and have been around a lot of Oryx. I am a contract veterinarian for the game department and have darted or have been involved in darting (from the ground and helicopters) about 140 head. Like anything else, as you gain experience you get better and you tell the difference pretty easily. The cow's often have longer horns but not the mass of bulls.

It doesn't get much better than that. Congrats to you son. He looks happy as can be.

Now that is a nice Gemsbuck I shot one in South Africa and they do make a beautiful mount, and as you know they taste really good as well. Congragulations.

That is way cool! And you didnt even have to fly for 28 hrs to do it! Congrats to your boy for shooting a mans rifle also!!!

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

Wow, nice bull. hey Mike, if Matt ever gets mad at you and decides to dis-own you can i be your new son? Hell,i would call you dad if i could get a hunt like that for my 41st birthday next year!

Zia,

Congrats to you and your son on bagging a nice oryx. That is awesome!!!

Sent you a pm

pinemesa

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom