Soot on straight wall cartridges

12point

Would like to ask a question of the knowledgeable gun nuts on here. I bought a savage 99 in 375 Winchester and I'm getting some soot on the fired cases (pics below). Is this normal for straight wall? Will it hurt anything? I'm shooting a near maximum load of AA1680 behind a 235 Speer semi-spitzer, CC 200 primers.

494781030754.jpg

832981030759.jpg

This problem arises for a number of reasons. If you are using a near max load then the low load issue can be ruled out I think. The chamber could have been cut with too much play. The cases resized wrong. Even wrong primer and powder combo. Hopefully someone will chime in that has the same cartridge. You can get this same problem in the 450 Bushmaster with not having the right crimp, but that happens because it doesn't headspaces on the rim of a straight walled cartridge. You headspaces on the rim though. What kind of crimp are you doing?

Why do you consider it a problem??

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans -- when they're dead...

>This problem arises for a number
>of reasons. If you
>are using a near max
>load then the low load
>issue can be ruled out
>I think. The chamber
>could have been cut with
>too much play. The
>cases resized wrong. Even
>wrong primer and powder combo.
> Hopefully someone will chime
>in that has the same
>cartridge. You can get
>this same problem in the
>450 Bushmaster with not having
>the right crimp, but that
>happens because it doesn't headspaces
>on the rim of a
>straight walled cartridge. You
>headspaces on the rim though.
> What kind of crimp
>are you doing?

No crimp

>Why do you consider it a
>problem??
>
>
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans
>-- when they're dead...

Don't know if it is a problem, that's why I asked.

>>Why do you consider it a
>>problem??
>>
>>

>
>
>Don't know if it is a
>problem, that's why I asked.
>

I'm following this for the same reason....I've seen it on my 405wcf cases before....I never considered it an issue...

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans -- when they're dead...

Well it's not the crimp then...lol. Maybe a slightly oversized chamber is allowing the residue to escape. I'd measure a fired case against the SAAMI stock reamer specs.

This is usually created by reduced pressure loads but you said you're near max so that's not it.

I'm inclined to feel a bit like Homer here. Clean your chamber and brass after each session and I fail to see the issue unless you end up with chambering problems.

My necks, on bottle neck brass, and pistol brass usually have carbon residue on them too so I suspect it's the same issue....which really isn't an issue.

Admittedly, I'm not a straight-wall cartridge guy so take it for what it's worth.

My 2 cents,

Zeke

#livelikezac

12 Point, I saw where Iowa was going to start allowing the pistol/straight wall cases for deer hunting during the shotgun season. You guys won't know what to think. It will give you and your buddies a reason to buy some new rifles.

For you guys that aren't familiar with the Midwest. States like Ohio, Indiana and Iowa were traditionally shotgun slug states. Then they started allowing muzzle loaders and a lot of people used them because they were typically more accurate than a shotgun slug.

Now they are allowing rifles using pistol/ straight wall cartridges for deer hunting during the shotgun season. Cartridges like .357 magnum, .44 magnum, .375, 444 marlin, 45-70 are legal.

So what is the best straight walled case cartridge for deer hunting. (there are some other requirements like length of cartridge)

That's the reason I bought this 375 Winchester. I never could get into deer hunting with a shotgun. I wanted less recoil then a 444 or 45-70 but more range then a pistol cartridge. I think the best round for Iowa is the 375 Winchester. The load I have right now is 37 grains of AA-1680 with the Speer 235 grain semi spitzer, velocity is averaging 2247 fps and recoil is mild. I did add about 2 lbs. of lead weight to my rifle. I will probably try a maximum load of 38.5 grains and see what kind of velocity and group it will shoot. The load I have now shoots 2.5 inches on a windy day. I haven't had it long enough (1 month) to tell what it can really do.

I would like to take it elk hunting out west if and when I draw a tag. I think it would be a good round in the aspen-black timber.

This is probably just another step toward the Midwest states finally making bottleneck cartridges legal. That will really hurt Iowa's hunting.

I'm hoping that if I give 12point a few tips that he'll say "come on out and hunt a WT with me" LOL (I'm really not fishing for anything)

I've followed his exploits and it's VERY impressive to say the least. This guy is the real-deal!

Zeke

#livelikezac

Thank you for the kind words.

I think you guys that hunt public ground out west and kill quality animals are pretty much more the real-deal as well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom