Soper-Wheeler Timber Company

M

Model_70_Guy

I was talking to my cousin recently and he told me something that I thought was interesting. He has been deer hunting by Little Grass Valley reservoir for 20+ years which is located in the Plumas National Forest. This past deer season he got stopped by a ranger and told he had to leave and could not hunt there. When he asked why the ranger told him that it's complicated but the bottom line is Soper - Wheeler timber company was logging the area, I would guess they leased a section of the national forest and closed it to the public. He also told me that they blocked many of the smaller roads. I thought national forest was open to any and all people. How can a private company close up sections of a national forest and keep the public out? Anyone have similar experiances?

Jim

Jim, I've never heard of that. I've been around a lot of logging operations on Trinity and Six Rivers NF. (well, not so much any more since the wackos got control). About the only thing I saw was "Watch for Logging Trucks" signs and maybe a road or two closed right where they were working. Log truck drivers are a good source to talk to as to where they've been seeing deer.

Eel

Steve,

I had never heard of anyting like that either and neither had my cousin. He wa a little upset to say the least but the ranger made him leave and like I mentioned before he's been hunting around that area for over 20 years. It just didn't make sense to me when he told me about it.

Jim

70;

Have your cousin call Soper-Wheeler. Some of the bigger landowners have been gating their own property, but I haven't heard of any of the loggers closing NF.

It seems like the Obama gov't is going to try just about anything it wants.

maybe you were in that Rangers Honeyhole!
4a03d572639d0132.jpg

Rackmaster

Model-70-Guy;

I am familiar with Soper-wheeler as their head office is a few miles from my home. I have never heard of them doing that. They are a very large timber land owning company in my area and I have hunted their land many times in the past.
They have gated off some of their land due to vandalism from so called slob hunters, but allow hunting on other non gated land. This would be their private land, not forest service land.
Is your relative sure it was a forest ranger or could it have been the Plumas County reserve deputy that patrols Little Grass Valley lake.
Also there may be restrictions due to how close your relative was to the lake. At another nearby lake, bullards Bar, they have a "No Shooting" county ordnance from the ridgetop to the lake itself. I am not sure if Grass Valley lake has a similar ordnance.
When did this happen, I know several persons I can contact and get more information.

RELH

Model-70-Guy;

I sent you a PM with details. Your cousin was mistaken about Soper-Wheeler closing off hunting or access to public U.S.F.S. ground.

RELH

Nuts4bucks;

I do not think that was the problem. He more then likely talked to a fire suppession officer and was on Soper-wheeler private property. Soper wheeler is well noted in this area of suppression on any pot growing on their lands.
Their private enforcement officer is fully trained in marijuana detection and has a long history of eradicating pot fields as a former U.S.F.S. LEO and reserve deputy with the agency I used to work for.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom