Sorry September..

Coloradoboy

Very Active Member
Don't know if anyone else had the September i had, but has to be one of the worst I can remember. Mature bulls running by themselves as of Sep. 20th, little to no rutting activity, warm weather, rain, full moon..3 bulls killed (Excluding misses) between archery and muzzy hunters for me this year. Anyone else have to deal with this? Or was this just the case in the Gunnison Basin?

Coloradoboy
Tenderfoot Outfitters
tenderfoot-outfitters.com

Over here on the Front Range, I found the bulls still in bachelor groups, but bugling late afternoons and nightime, not gathering cows yet (as of Sept. 13) but not that hard to find or close in on. I got my bull third day of Muzzy season. So I don't think it was that "sorry". But that was over here!

Coloradoboy,

You hit the nail on the head, I had the same exact season! Seen some mature bulls with no cows, running in bachelor groups and 2 legit bugles all season. I hunt a unit that doesn't have alot of elk but I usually have decent luck finding them but this September was the worse for me in many years. Look on the bright side, we only have 11 more months before we can do it again!

Same for me in SW corner check out my post " the one that got away" just left it. Happy Huntin!!

I think the rut was pushed back this year partially due to the late spring, I've seen A LOT of tiny little calves this fall, some still even nursing off mommy. My thought is that the late calf crop this spring is the reason cows weren't coming into estrus most of september. First rifle season should be interesting is all i have to say......

Coloradoboy
Tenderfoot Outfitters
tenderfoot-outfitters.com

Huh man I guess we were lucky over here Had elk everywhere we went. Several friends missed muliple times and then ended up connecting later on. One night I thought I was going to have to go run the elk out of camp so we could sleep. we were up there in elevation though alot around 12000ft. Nothing monsterous went down saw some good ones but they are harder to get in on(more eyes).
7mm wsm 600yrd. and closer checkmate

I was into elk nearly every day for the second half of the season. They were very non-responsive to calling though. Towards the end the bulls were hearding up pretty good and bugling but wouldn't respond very well to calling so spot and stalk was working well. If I could shoot worth a crap I might have some meat to show for instead just some hearty tag soup mmmm!

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

On a private ranch near Glenwood, I was within 100 yards of elk 6 out of 7 days. Had one big 6x6 early that was still with bulls only but bugling. And had 1 big 6x6 with 18-20 cows that was bugling. Never had a shot opportunity on either (muzzy). As as stated above, if I had better aim, I would have meat (4x4 next to last day). He came in silent a couple of steps at at time to cow calls. Partner missed a big 6x7 that he called in that was by himself and came in silent. Rained almost every day! Wish it would do that in Texas

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I agree with you 100% Coloradoboy. It was a very tough fall where I hunted in western Colorado. We did see plenty of elk, had close encounters, had shot ooportunities that didn't work out and I missed an elk. But overall it was very difficult. The elk rarely responded to cow calls and were very difficult to bring in. The shot I missed (cleanly thank goodness) came from sneaking in on a herd in a down pour. I was really hoping that a wet and much cooler fall would work in my favor, but that sure wasn't the case! Night and day different then last year.

I haven't been a big fan of 1st season since the DOW bumped it back to the middle of October, but this year that may be the trophy tag to have!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-11 AT 09:19PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-11 AT 04:50?PM (MST)

Dont know about u guys but in the south wetern part of the state I was calling in mature bulls aug.28 til the 2nd week in sept. then it all went down hill from there. Big bulls sound off the 3rd week in aug.

I was guiding in the Lone Cone area and expenienced pretty much the same thing. Had to change strategy from trying to call them in to spot and stock. I would locate them with bugles but then sneak in on them. Otherwise they would run off when you got close and made a call, even a cow call. I did call in a few early in the season but that all changed soon as muzzy started. Shots rang out everywhere the whole muzzy season which had the elk running like crazy. We did see heard bulls and they were fired up, but the problem was they wouldn't start until almost dark and we would rarely hear them in the morning. Worst September for me by far, even though we filled half of our tags.

September was slower than normal.
Animals were scattered more due to plentiful rainfall and water sources.
Full moon had elk out all night and to bed early as usual.
I noticed most bulls still silent second week in Sept.
Saw a few bulls cruising starting to look for cows by the 12th.
Still managed to get a very nice 6x6 muzzleloading by using a cow call early in my muzz hunt thank God because I was sick of getting soaked.
Best,
Jerry

44f4e09309b4a917.jpg

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom