South east Idaho general deer

35huntdeer

Planning on buying an over the counter deer tag. Have never hunted Idaho, this is a spur of the moment hunt and am going in blind.
I was interested in hunting somewhere along the Wyoming border. . Area 66, or 66a. Somewhere I could park and hike in. Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

I've heard both areas are really good but I'm more of a desert hunter when I haven't had the time to scout the high country. Theres a lot of work involved when looking at getting into some forested area that where the deer have a ton of cover that is hard to push. Your chances in my humble opinion are much better if you hunt the desert/lava fields where you haven't been able to scout out your area much. We hunt a notellum ridge that is in the desert that has always produced nice bucks. Look for an area where BLM desert borders some farms. Deer like to eat the crops and drink from the pivot tracks. The more relief to the area the better. If its flat desert its no good. It may look flat until you get out there but we are up and down ridges all day. If your going to walk a ton its a lot easier on the legs than hitting the high country and your chances of seeing deer increase since there are no trees. Always work into the wind or you finished.

You will be fine hitting where you want to go. Might be tough the first year figuring things out but there are awesome bucks taken out of that country every year. Less pressure and more cover grows big deer. You will learn the country pretty quick and figure it out.

Been hot with storms during archery elk below you,where I hunted. Not the best the last couple of weeks of Sept. Hope you get some weather and 30's or snow.
Take a wolf tag......
Good Luck,

))))------->

The caribou forest is unique, in that most areas there is plenty of feed in the timber. This makes for grest cover and hard to find deer.
Look at some of the trail heads in unit 66 that lead you from the road on the south side of palisades lake up into black mountain, etc.
It is a ways in there, but can produce bucks. Lots of people like bear creek.
Good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom