Southern Border Crisis

I don't know? Does 800,000 illegal immigrants coming across the border last year alone seem like a crisis to you? How many of those are reaping the country?s benefits without paying a dime in taxes. Seems like a pretty big deal to me.

I think the truth lies in the middle, as per most issues.

The data and my observations from working down there from 2002-2018 suggest the illegal immigration has been curtailed significantly. Deportation and apprehensions spiked under Obama's administration.

Seems a vast majority of drugs are being smuggled via legal points of entry and through UPS, postal service, etc. etc.

IMO, I think more border patrol and use of technology as well as fencing in the high use areas is the winner.

Its ridiculous to think that illegal crossers cant come up with a 31 foot ladder to cross a 30 foot wall...or not come up with a cutting torch to cut through a steel fence.

Plus, there's also the issue of how does the Government FORCE private land owners to allow the .gov to build a wall in places like Texas that have property on the Rio Grande? Imminent Domain? How do the hard core R's reconcile that? Do property rights matter or not? Which rights supersede others?

Then of course there's the whole issue of the Tohono O'odham Indian Reservation. The .gov isn't going to just trot on out and start building a wall between Mexico and a sovereign Indian Reservation without a knock-down-drag-out either.

The best move is to continue what's obviously been working to largely curtail illegal immigration.

Better detection methods on drugs at ports of entry, on containers and at mail/package delivery hubs probably wouldn't hurt either.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-19 AT 11:24AM (MST)[p]Is there a downside for building a wall? I mean 5 billion is nothing in the grand scheme. Even if it's not the entire length of the border, which Trump has stated many times. What is the downside? Or is the downside because suddenly the main stream Democrats just don't want to give trump the satisfaction. Because many of them only a few years ago were in favor of a wall/barrier. What changed?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-19 AT 11:37AM (MST)[p]One downside....money pit.

Estimates I've seen quoted are up to 750 million in maintenance costs/year.

The other downside, they don't work that well in remote areas.

>I think the truth lies in
>the middle, as per most
>issues.
>
>The data and my observations from
>working down there from 2002-2018
>suggest the illegal immigration has
>been curtailed significantly. Deportation and
>apprehensions spiked under Obama's administration.
>
>
>Seems a vast majority of drugs
>are being smuggled via legal
>points of entry and through
>UPS, postal service, etc. etc.
>
>
>IMO, I think more border patrol
>and use of technology as
>well as fencing in the
>high use areas is the
>winner.
>
>Its ridiculous to think that illegal
>crossers cant come up with
>a 31 foot ladder to
>cross a 30 foot wall...or
>not come up with a
>cutting torch to cut through
>a steel fence.
>
>Plus, there's also the issue of
>how does the Government FORCE
>private land owners to allow
>the .gov to build a
>wall in places like Texas
>that have property on the
>Rio Grande? Imminent Domain? How
>do the hard core R's
>reconcile that? Do property rights
>matter or not? Which rights
>supersede others?
>
>Then of course there's the whole
>issue of the Tohono O'odham
>Indian Reservation. The .gov isn't
>going to just trot on
>out and start building a
>wall between Mexico and a
>sovereign Indian Reservation without a
>knock-down-drag-out either.
>
>The best move is to continue
>what's obviously been working to
>largely curtail illegal immigration.
>
>Better detection methods on drugs at
>ports of entry, on containers
>and at mail/package delivery hubs
>probably wouldn't hurt either.

Pretty hard for me to argue with any of this......

....it just amazes me that when Trump does some of the exact things Obama was successfully doing....the TDS media throws a fit....."caged kids" "seperated families"....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans -- when they're dead...

$750 million in maintenance cost?? I would like to see where they came up with that number. It's a freakin wall/fence/barrier, doesn't common sense tell you that number sounds just a tad high? Seriously what maintenance is done on a wall? I'm calling B.S. and can someone explain to me how they figure maintenance cost for a wall that they don't even know what the hell its going to be made out of yet? Come on...

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-19 AT 01:25PM (MST)[p]Considering that the FY2017 cost of maintenance of the fence/barrier/wall was this, and much of the length has no wall currently:

"According to the Fiscal Year (FY) 2017 DHS budget, $274 million was spent on border fence maintenance."

I reckon the cost of maintaining 1,952 miles could easily run up to 750 million.

These are the facts that nobody wants to talk about, and again, why doing some basic research, only helps to understand the issue.

I have a wood fence around half of my yard, and I reckon I spend $300/year just keeping it coated with superdeck stain/waterproofing. That's not counting labor and its not a 30 foot barrier to keep out illegal immigration. It is intended to keep a 20lb jack Russell terrier in.

Everyone seems to think the wall is a "one off" situation...maintenance costs money, even more when a large part of the wall would be in remote locations. Lots of it has NO road or easy access.

Its going to be a money pit in the form of a wall.

So you think that if we put up this wall, our immigration problem will end? No more illegals? Your 800k, (which I think is way inflated) all did not cross at points where a wall would stop them.
I live about 45 miles from the border. No wall is ever going to prevent anything from crossing. It's a huge waste. Better control on the ports of entry, better equipment etc is needed. Maybe having border patrol patrol the border and not neighborhoods and highways in America. A wall is nothing more than a political monument.
If you want to stop a real crisis, start with opiates. Those are killing/costing more than anything else in America. This is the crisis not the southern border.
Buzzh is right on, in my opinion.

Do you have any factual examples of walls not making ?some? difference in keeping things in or out? Because I could go on and on with examples of walls/fences being effective. The argument of a wall being zero effective is completely opinion based.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-19 AT 02:17PM (MST)[p]>Do you have any factual examples
>of walls not making ?some?
>difference in keeping things in
>or out? Because I could
>go on and on with
>examples of walls/fences being effective.
>The argument of a wall
>being zero effective is completely
>opinion based.

If you are going to use the Israeli wall remember unlike Mexico, the American taxpayers picked up the tab for that one, in addition how long is it?

If you are going to use the wall in Poland as and example it isn't built yet. If you are going to use Laredo TX as an example then you need to look at what happened in the rest of Texas where not wall is planned.

If you are going to use the Berlin wall, then remember it was also mined, had manned guard towers and shoot to kill orders and still people figure out a way around it, oh and it no longer exists as a barrier at all.

Yes barriers and wall would probably help in localized areas in others a wall wouldn't even be a speed bump.

Nemont
Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other.

Back to the initial question, in my opinion the "crisis" is manufactured in an attempt to deliver on a campaign promise.
I'm all for more protection in the form of boots on the ground efforts along the southern border in the form of the men and women in the border patrol. Pay real people, real money, to do a really important job. But do it on the BORDER, Not fifty miles north of major American cities.

>>It is
>>intended to keep a 20lb
>>jack Russell terrier in.
>^That's funny.^
>It serves its purpose, right?

Ever owned a JRT?

Notice the "intended" part...

>>>It is
>>>intended to keep a 20lb
>>>jack Russell terrier in.
>>^That's funny.^
>>It serves its purpose, right?
>
>Ever owned a JRT?
>
>Notice the "intended" part...

I do....lol....I was questioning the affectiveness....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans -- when they're dead...

Were there fences around the bases you stayed at in the middle east nemont? Why did they erect those fences?

#livelikezac

I didn't stay at any bases, we were forward deployed and there were zero fences around us. Kind of a stupid comparison when we had armored vehicles, full combat ammo load and were locked and cocked. ROE allowed us to shoot if we felt threatened. Not much to fear in the way of anybody trying to sneak in and be an illegal alien in our midst.

Interesting though that our platoon sergeant was from Argentina who joined when he was not a citizen.

So is it a manufactured crisis? Does Trump shyt in the toilet? Of course it is being used as a political prop and dyck measuring contest now.

Here is a question anybody ever breached a perimeter fence on a military base that wasn't guarded? Are you suggesting we are going to man that border fence with guards too? If so that $5 billion will not be near enough.

Nemont

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other.

It's clearly not a crisis. but even if it were shutting the government down isn't the way to fix it.

Trump is going to take another kick to the nuts on this. he boxed himself into another losing proposition and daddy can't bail him out this time.

# where are the pesos

Stay Thirsty My Friends

So you didnt land at a base first when you entered country? You just flew the 747 to the front?

#livelikezac

I landed at the airport in Daharan. There was a chain link fence around and guarded full time by guys in humvees, a totally different thing then what is being proposed on the southern border.

So show me the proof that there will be a dramatic and permanent drop in illegal crossings if Trump wins this little spat. Show me the evidence upon which you guys base your blind faith in Trump on.

You realize the border wall was used to make it easy for candidate Trump to have a throw away line and even his handlers didn't believe it to be a crisis. Now he has repeated it so much that every one of his stooges believes that this is the answer to the situation at the border.

Here is how far Trump lovers are willing to compromise: They will borrow more to do it, they will allow government over reach to take private property, they are willing to ignore the advice of most people with real experience and they base it on emotion. Sounds exactly like a bunch of liberals to me.

Nemont

If they had Humvees and orders to shoot why did they waste the time and money on the fence?

#livelikezac

Mostly To catch all the trash that blew around the desert.

Show me the proof that the border wall will end or even slow down illegal crossing? I can be convinced but given the normal BS supported by Trump lovers there is almost always no proof of what they been told think has anything to do with the reality on the ground.

Are you saying we will guard the fence and be willing to shoot to kill on the whole border? If so then again the $5 billion won't be enough.

Nemont

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-19 AT 04:55PM (MST)[p]As I've said many times a true border wall is not the end all be all, it's part of the solution. It gives BP something to defend. If you dont think 20-50mil illegals are adding to our national debt and affecting the livelihood of millions of citizens I cant help you. Do a sweep in Greeley Colorado your have 10k in the first day. Explain to me why we have a huge BP presence in Pierre South Dakota? I've never seen a BP truck in Greeley.

#livelikezac

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-19
>AT 04:55?PM (MST)

>
>As I've said many times a
>true border wall is not
>the end all be all,
>it's part of the solution.
>It gives BP something to
>defend. If you dont think
>20-50mil illegals are adding to
>our national debt and affecting
>the livelihood of millions of
>citizens I cant help you.
>Do a sweep in Greeley
>Colorado your have 10k in
>the first day. Explain to
>me why we have a
>huge BP presence in Pierre
>South Dakota? I've never seen
>a BP truck in Greeley.
>
>
>
>
>
>#livelikezac

Where did I say anything about the illegals not adding to the national debt? Trump has never said he was going to deport the ones here so that cost doesn't go away. If a border wall was paid for by the Mexicans as promised it would have been built. Your hero is losing support on the shutdown because he has not made a coherent case for what exactly it will accomplish.

I didn't get a choice on where the BP is stationed. I know the guys up here pretty well and all of them have been on the Mexican border and say it is a shyt show. They all say a fence wouldn't stop diddly squat.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-19 AT 10:22PM (MST)[p]If there is not a crisis, then you aren't paying attention.

I retired 5 years ago, 15 years w/the BP and 14 as an Investigator. I'll write a book here if I don't try to keep it real brief.

Walls work. The cost is chump change.

As a hunter, where do you think that you should go to find deer and elk when they are pressured? The go in to the deep, steep, impassable terrain that is to difficult for hunters, far away from roads, places where 99%, or more, of the hunters won't go. Where do you think that the high-dollar cargos (Tally-bon (how the Mexican smugglers say it), Coke, etc) are smuggled? The sides of hills and rocky barely passable terrain...no roads. Then they use that terrain to their advantage.

The wall is cheap compared to what Illegals cost us...possibly cheaper than the annual cost to just the state of CA. They only reason they didn't approve it is because it is Trumps's idea...they have all, pretty-much, supported it in the past.

BTW., google "Border Tunnel Found."

You saw in the news that most of the contraband is smuggled though a POE...Fake-News, Toro Poo-poo. 1st off that suggests that everything that comes between the POEs is insignificant. In my best year, I---myself, personally, had 1-900# MJ seizure (6 horses) and 2-600# MJ seizures and in the prior year 252# of Coke. This does not count any of the other seizures that my unit had that I had a negligible role in...yep, nothing comes in between the POEs. 2nd, it used to be that the BP had over half of number of the seizures and over half of the weight of the seizures. That means that they had more of em than all the others put together. I'd really be surprised if that has changed.

Don't believe half of what you read in the news. They have an agenda. The day after the election, I was listening to the Jim Rome show (National Sports). He said, after the press predicted that the election wouldn't be close...Hillary for sure, you betcha, that the public would never trust the press again or would the public ever trust the press again...now look what is going on....(Fake News on a regular basis)

The numbers on how terrorists enter, that is only on what they catch.

Why do you suppose that you have signs in Spanish in your town? Why are whole areas of your town now Hispanic? It isn't because of legal immigration. Congress hasn't set the visa levels high enough for that.

Where are all the Chinese coming from?

Why do many school districts have over 25% of their students in ESL classes. How many teachers did they have to hire for that? Check and see what the numbers are for your children's school district.

Why do we have some diseases re-occurring now that used to be under control?

When I was about 20, I worked as a welder. There was a guy there that barely spoke English. They wanted me to teach him how to TIG weld. When we got finished w/our big project, 3 people go laid-off. I was one of them. They kept the Un-Documented Alien (UDA).

Somehow people get the idea that UDAs only work in agriculture...that is the smallest area that they work in, it is behind manufacturing and service (maids, cooks, waiters, land-scapers, etc.)

In our town (Grand Junction), almost all of the dry-wall & cement work is done by UDAs. In some towns, all of the maids are UDAs.

The last I-9 Audit that I did was on a McDonald's chain...there was nothing there, nothing. The one that I wanted to do was a company that does oil field construction. They operate in at least 5 states and do their safety briefings in Spanish.

One of my friends sons, he did insulation work in the oil field. He was one of the few workers there that didn't speak anything but Spanish.

We did a packing plant raid and shut it down...100s of UDAs. The next day, the line of Americans at the plant's employment office went around the corner. Yep, Americans won't do that kind of work...Toro Poo-Poo.

They could and should expand the guest-worker (H2a and H2b visa) program. There are tons of em at Lake Powell, Purgatory, Telluride, Vail, Aspen and etc. They come for 6 months, and then go home. BTW, everywhere you have affluence, you have UDAs that are oppressed. They are taken advantage off by bottom-dollar wages paid by the rich.

Back when was I working the jails. I would remove/deport an alien and often a month or so later, he'd be back in jail again (and often alcohol was involved in the arrest)...way to easy to get back.

BTW, ICE should be expanded. If they increased the number doing investigations at sea-ports, the increase in seizures on duties and tariffs not paid would more than pay for themselves...millions of dollars would be recovered when whole conexes and containers would be seized and then sold. And Obama was big on I-9 Audits, just like his platform said. If you remember, Trump said that he was building a wall.

Also, IRS Auditors should be increased. It is nothing for them to issue a $200K fine, and have the person write a check for it. They usually recover 4-5x their salary in a year in fines. The guy shows up to talk to them in a Porsche and their attorney is in a Mercedes. After 2-3 more meetings a fine is settled on and promptly paid.

Sorry for the lengthy post.
John 14:6

Thanx for the facts stinky. Was the meat packing plant in Greeley by chance?

#livelikezac

>>LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-19
>>AT 04:55?PM (MST)

>>
>>As I've said many times a
>>true border wall is not
>>the end all be all,
>>it's part of the solution.
>>It gives BP something to
>>defend. If you dont think
>>20-50mil illegals are adding to
>>our national debt and affecting
>>the livelihood of millions of
>>citizens I cant help you.
>>Do a sweep in Greeley
>>Colorado your have 10k in
>>the first day. Explain to
>>me why we have a
>>huge BP presence in Pierre
>>South Dakota? I've never seen
>>a BP truck in Greeley.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>#livelikezac
>
>Where did I say anything about
>the illegals not adding to
>the national debt? Trump
>has never said he was
>going to deport the ones
>here so that cost doesn't
>go away. If a
>border wall was paid for
>by the Mexicans as promised
>it would have been built.
> Your hero is losing
>support on the shutdown because
>he has not made a
>coherent case for what exactly
>it will accomplish.
>
>I didn't get a choice on
>where the BP is stationed.
> I know the guys
>up here pretty well and
>all of them have been
>on the Mexican border and
>say it is a shyt
>show. They all say
>a fence wouldn't stop diddly
>squat.
>
>
>
>Government is like a baby. An
>alimentary canal with a big
>appetite at one end and
>no responsibility at the other.
>

It's a process nemont. Theres no sense gathering the cattle before you fix the hole in the fence.

#livelikezac

One mayor in a Eastern Texas border town has stated that a wall in his town has shown to cut down on illegal immigrants by a good margin and also crime. That wall stopped before getting to the next town and the mayor of that town is begging for the wall to be built in his town also after he saw how it helped in the other town to curb illegal crossings along with drug smuggling and a good reduction in crimes.
Oh! that mayor in the town that wants the wall is a Democrat.

RELH

Stinkys response seems like proof to me. Unlike the the know it all "Wizard of Smarts" who claims fences stop the trash from blowing around.
Gawd, you are so anti Trump that your derangement syndrone has consumed you and your inconsequential argumentative mind. Amazing

You're losing this fight " bigly " . so what's your new sales pitch this week ? times running out .

Stay Thirsty My Friends

>Stinkys response seems like proof to
>me. Unlike the the know
>it all "Wizard of Smarts"
> who claims fences stop
>the trash from blowing around.
>
>Gawd, you are so anti Trump
>that your derangement syndrone has
>consumed you and your inconsequential
>argumentative mind. Amazing

Not at all. I said build the wall. Then I can laugh all the rest of time as our cost of illegals doesn't change a bit. Then your guy keeps signing up for new debt on top new debt and you will be a good stooge and lap it up like the sheeple you have become.

Nemont

Postville, IA

I don't remember where I was when Greely came around.

Personally, I think that I do as good a job cutting up a critter on the side of a mountain as they do in a plant.
John 14:6

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-19 AT 05:01PM (MST)[p]Its been a crisis for decades. Anyone who works in construction sees the illegality, immorality DAILY.

BTW, if you've bought a new house in the last decade, your crisis is coming. Ever wonder how someone at best literate in a foreign language, and more common illiterate completely follows building plans written in English?

It will make sense as your roof fails prematurely. Your stucco starts cracking and falling off, etc, etc. In short your single biggest investment falls apart because although the engineering and materials are superb, the labor couldn't read it, therefore couldn't utilize it.

Tommorow on the freeway, notice how many disaster cleanup(flood, fire, mold) trucks you pass. That's called a crisis in waiting. Just another hidden cost.

From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN, PUBLIC LAND.

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-19
>AT 05:01?PM (MST)

>
>Its been a crisis for decades.
> Anyone who works in
>construction sees the illegality, immorality
>DAILY.
>
>BTW, if you've bought a new
>house in the last decade,
>your crisis is coming.
>Ever wonder how someone at
>best literate in a foreign
>language, and more common illiterate
>completely follows building plans written
>in English?
>
>It will make sense as your
>roof fails prematurely. Your
>stucco starts cracking and falling
>off, etc, etc. In
>short your single biggest investment
>falls apart because although the
>engineering and materials are superb,
>the labor couldn't read it,
>therefore couldn't utilize it.
>
>Tommorow on the freeway, notice how
>many disaster cleanup(flood, fire, mold)
>trucks you pass. That's
>called a crisis in waiting.
> Just another hidden cost.
>
>
>
>
>From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN,
>PUBLIC LAND.

Ya hoss but they're fast, and they're cheap! :D

#livelikezac

?If you only build a wall, only a ?wall? without using technology, individuals, drones, observations, etc., you're not going to secure the border,? - Sen. John McCain, 2017

?The border wall is probably not a smart investment,? Sen. Lindsey Graham, 2017

I don't think we're just going to be able to solve border security with a physical barrier because people can come under, around it, and through it,? Texas Sen. John Cornyn, 2017

LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-19 AT 11:16AM (MST)[p]>?If you only build a wall,
>only a ?wall? without using
>technology, individuals, drones, observations, etc.,
>you're not going to secure
>the border,? - Sen.
>John McCain, 2017
>
>?The border wall is probably not
>a smart investment,? Sen. Lindsey
>Graham, 2017
>
>I don't think we're just going
>to be able to solve
>border security with a physical
>barrier because people can come
>under, around it, and through
>it,? Texas Sen. John Cornyn,
>2017

John Cornyn just said a wall works so well that the illegals will need to try another method of entry is the point your using to back walls not working?

Grizz. How many illegals does a drone stop? How does it accomplish that?

Your to smart to play stupid. Your trying to push some narrative that we are going to build a wall and that is it.

Who said that? Where?

We don't stop ALL speeders so lets do away with speed limits.

We don't stop ALL rapists so lets do away with rape law.

We don't stop ALL murders, so lets make murder laws void.

When your boat is sinking, first you plug the hole. Observing a hole, counting how many holes DOESNT STOP YOU FROM SINKING.

Its a childish game your trying to play. You can have a wall AND drones. AND more patrol. AND e verify.

No one, nowhere said build a wall and walk away. And you know it.

From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN, PUBLIC LAND.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom