Southern reg rac

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-19 AT 10:33AM (MST)[p]>Anybody attend this meeting that can
>enlighten us?

I had some prior obligations before the meeting, so I didn't get there until 7.30 and I didn't get to hear any of the comments from the audience on the Mule Deer Plan. At that time, the RAC members were making their comments about the plan, so I kinda know what was proposed by the audience and, because there was some clapping and yelling from the audience (which is not protocol), I knew how they felt about it. However, I did make some notes and I stayed for the rest of the meeting until it ended at about 11:30.

Here's a summary of the results, but keep in mind it took a LOT of time and somewhat raucous discussion about almost everything in the plan in order to get to a vote.

Item #5: Mule Deer Plan:
- An amendment to add a 3rd tier (21 to 25) to the buck to doe ratios on General Units: Passed Unanimous.
- An amendment to change the wording for turning in the skull plate of a deer for testing CWD: Passed Unanimous
(I don't remember how the wording ended up, but it was changed so that the hunter could keep the skull plate for mounting while still producing the brain matter.)
- An amendment to change the plan back to a 5 year plan: Passed 7 to 3.
- There was also an amendment to change or correct some English regarding the number of late muzzy hunts, but I didn't actually hear or understand what that was 'cause I took a pee break. In any case it passed unanimous.
- The rest of the plan as presented: Passed unanimous.

At this point we took a break, and low and behold, a lot of folks left! I guess they had heard enough!

Item #6: Buck, Bull & OIAL Hunts, Application Timeline and Rule Amendments: (Again, some time and discussion before the vote.)
- An amendment to change the verbiage of the skull plate issue. (see above): Passed Unanimous.
- An amendment to combine the Willard Peak goat hunt with another hunt in order to allow a hunt there. (Sorry, but I didn't hear where the other hunt was.): Passed 7 to 2
- Remainder of plan as presented: Passed Unanimous.

Some more people left, leaving about 8 to 10 audience members!

At this point, the Chair went off agenda and proposed we ask the WB to consider increasing the cougar tags on the Monroe Mtns in order to increase the deer population. This was prompted by the discussions/complaints of Item #6. : Passed Unanimous.

Item #7: CWMU & Landowner hunts:
- A few questions and some discussion, but it Passed Unanimous.

Item #8: Rule Amendments to Address Point Creep, etc.
- Again a few questions (mostly to clarify) and some intense discussion, but it Passed 7 to 2.

Item #9: Big Game Application Timeline:
- There was no vote since it was a Informational Item only, but there was some discussion about ways to get the tag numbers before the application period ends, and Lindy told us they were working on it, so maybe we'll see it as an action item in the future.

All in all, it was a typical Southern RAC meeting. Need I say more?

Edited: FWIW, I also attended the Northern RAC and I'll give you an update in another thread when I have time.

I love the Southern RAC. Hooray on the amendments for higher buck:doe ratios and more cougar permits! I would love to see both of those pass.

Just wanted to correct the lion tag motion. That was for the Mineral Moutains where the DWR just release 51 sheep after the lion WB meeting was already done and passed and they had 1 sheep killed by a lion the first couple weeks of the release. The RAC chair did say he would like to see more tags on the beaver that was not what the motion was about.

I think if we are going to have any chance of bringing the Beaver unit back we are going to have to split it up into smaller sub units and then do a different method of counting (on the ground actual counting) not a formula. As long as they say there are 13,000 deer on this unit, it is doomed for failure. People I have talked to on all sides of the Beaver East and West, North and South say the deer numbers are in the tank. No deer period.

>Just wanted to correct the lion
>tag motion. That was for
>the Mineral Moutains where the
>DWR just release 51 sheep
>after the lion WB meeting
>was already done and passed
>and they had 1 sheep
>killed by a lion the
>first couple weeks of the
>release. The RAC chair did
>say he would like to
>see more tags on the
>beaver that was not what
>the motion was about.

Thanks for catching that! I'm sorry I missed it! Sometimes the RAC members and the audience didn't speak into the mic well enough for me to hear clearly (I wear hearing aids.) Plus, there were private conversations going on around me in the audience during most of the meeting. Did I miss anything else?

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom