Southern Utah Antler Growth?

All the pics and videos and feedback I’ve been privy to are showing deer are quite a bit behind where they normally would be in the growth cycle at this point. Still alot of growing to be done still and alot of mature bucks just look like it’s more like June 26th instead of July 26th, consensus is because of the fall/winter/spring weather we have had. Does that mean they will still be growing later and rub later??.. tbd

Man, they better keep growing later than usual or that will really suck!

Even behind in Southern Utah huh?

On wet years like this those dry areas grow big bucks from what I hear anyway.

I hope they reach their potential!

Just seems strange they would be behind in the southern units if it is true they had a great winter. I have no observations yet.
Agree, I just talked to a biologist and he said it seems about normal. The problem is unless you know specific bucks and watch them from year to year you probably don't have a great idea of what the winter did for them.

I once saw a buck on the 4th of July that only had baseball bats growing out of his head. By the 24th he had branched but still not developed much, but by the opening of Archery season in August he blew up to one of the biggest typicals I have ever seen.
That same year we saw a buck that looked fully finished in July and by August he had changed very little.
That suggests to me that some grow early and some grow late.

I once saw a buck on the 4th of July that only had baseball bats growing out of his head. By the 24th he had branched but still not developed much, but by the opening of Archery season in August he blew up to one of the biggest typicals I have ever seen.
That same year we saw a buck that looked fully finished in July and by August he had changed very little.
That suggests to me that some grow early and some grow late.
I've always attributed it to when they dropped there antlers, and have also seen bucks finished at the end of July and some blow up the first 2 weeks of August.

Looking good so far just need to finish strong on the most part of the deer down south

DA3BDFEF-37DB-4C0D-B0CA-42591E670AD9.jpeg

Sorry guys. There are no deer down here in Southern Utah. They all died. I guess you'll just have to stay away from here now that you know that. Really unfortunate. Darn!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom