SOUTHERN UTAH COW ELK HUNTS?

G

goatroper

Hi everyone,
I been here awhile(decided to start posting)and I never really see much on the anterless Elk hunts... so I have a few questions.(for those who have a clue!)
what is the draw odds....easy? do I need points! is there alot of hunting pressure?
I want to hunt the southern part of Utah whats the best I area that have good roads(being later in years we can't do as much as we would!) we do hunt deer and are sucessful at it!(never elk!)! me and my youngest brother and his son(not a youth)!
we are in Brownsville Tx(don't hate lol!)
any help is welcome and I will call DWR but its hard to get through to a warden to ask!I need to apply this week!
gail

I've seen the draw odds on the DWR web site. It varies per unit and per year but you can get an idea of trends.
From what I've seen it takes a year or two to accumulate the needed points to draw.
I don't hunt the southern areas for elk so I can't be specific about units.
Most units have plenty of pressure but also lots of elk. Get off the beaten path, leave camp in the dark and don't come back until after dark. Elk are not daylight animals!

Good luck, Zeke

Antlerless tags are getting harder and harder to come by, I think this year will be really hard because of all the people that didn't even get deer tags.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

>Antlerless tags are getting harder and
>harder to come by, I
>think this year will be
>really hard because of all
>the people that didn't even
>get deer tags.
>
>
4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I think you're right! I'd bet the tags will continue to get tougher to come by with the reduction in most other tags.

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-11 AT 06:37PM (MST)[p] Get on the division of wildlife website and go to the big game page, down near the bottom is a link for last years draw odds. It is titled 2010 antlerless preference point draw results. Just a bit of advise, if you want to even see an elk and have a chance at filling your elk tag I would stay clear of the 3 units furthest south(west). Pine Valley, Zion, and Paunsaugunt are extremely tough cow hunts due to one or more of the following reasons: LOW elk population, LOTS of private land, and alot of hunting pressure. So unless you want an extremely tough hunt or have access to some good private land I would go a little further north. SW Desert, Beaver, Fishlake, Boulder, etc. all have more public land and alot more elk.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom