Southern Utah - Navajo Lake Question?

stanley

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-06 AT 04:28PM (MST)[p]Greetings All:

I'm going to be loading-up the family for an extra long weekend camping in Southern Utah. Meeting an old college friend and his family from SLC for our annual get together....

Anyway, we are trying to figure out a place to go, and we're thinking of Navajo Lake. We went deer hunting in that area several years ago, and I liked it quite a lot. I heard that they had a problem with bark beatles though, and had to chop all of the trees down around the campground??? :eek: Can any of you Dixie boys confirm that???

If that's the case, what is everyone's opinion on Duck Creek? I'm considering that as an alternative. We've camped north of Escalante by Barker the past couple of years, but I'm looking for something a little closer (driving from Phx...). Our goal is to find a nice place to set-up for 4-5 days where the kids can catch a few fish, and we can do some day trip sight-seeing.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. No honey holes, just some friendly advice... ;-)

Thanks in advance for any replys!

S.

:)

Duck creek has a very nice campground but it fills up fast. You might could get reservations if you call dixie forest service. The fishing on aspen mirror, duck creek and navajo is usually pretty good. The bark beatles have done significant damage to the top of that mountain. They are just begging for a major fire up there. Good luck and have fun

Mike

Red Creek Res. it up by Parawon it a little farther north, but it's a great little place, we fish there but camp up above at the old beaver ponds(Horse Valley Rd), you can head the other way from camp and fish panguitch lake, Alot of back roads in the area to explore Your just a hop and a skip from Bryce Canyon too. Wish I was there right now, Have a ton of fun.

Thanks Cabin & Gator! I appreciate both of the tips! I think we'll try to start-out at Duck Creek as it's a spot we're both fairly familiar with, and then go from there.

We were going to take a drive up to Panquitch Lake anyway Gator, so maybe we'll check-out that Horse Valley road area I know that's awesome country up in there and I'd like to explore it! I also want to get the kids by that wildlife museum in Panquitch! ;-)

Thanks again guys,
S.

Yea, I saw that too Doug. I saw a follow-up in their fishing reports section that said they did the treatment in early May, and the first 20K stockers (8-10 inchers...) in a couple of weeks ago. Plans were to add another 30K by the end of June.

Hoping the kids will have some luck with worms & powerbait on some of those stockers! ;-)

Could make for some good fishing there over the next few years...

Hope all is well with you, and good luck in the draws Doug!

Thanks for the info,
S.

My parents grew up in Cedar, so I've been going up there all my life to visit family. My dad also has a cabin on the mountain. We always fished Panguitch and Duck Creek. Also, for pure beauty, take the drive across the mountain to Kolob Res. and down into Zion Nat'l Park. That's a breathtaking drive!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom