Southwest Colorado Rut action???

iluvrax

Heading over on Sunday to help my oldest son on a 4th season deer tag in 71/711, we’re nonresidents from northern Utah. I know it’s been pretty rough in the few years past, but wondering what guys are seeing with the rut??? Is it really just getting started? Is it peaking right now? How long do you think it will carry? Sure seems like a bunch of mature bucks are hitting the dirt everyday in this third season. We’re getting pretty excited to get over there!
Thanks in advance, and good luck to everyone with tags in there pocket!

The hayfield bucks down low have been going pretty hard for a while now. The bad news is they’ve been picked over pretty hard. Forkies are the herd bulls now.:(

Good luck. Gets cold this weekend and some snow mid week. If nothing else it should feel like hunting season. But hold out hope - some seem turn up every year.

The hayfield bucks down low have been going pretty hard for a while now. The bad news is they’ve been picked over pretty hard. Forkies are the herd bulls now.:(

Good luck. Gets cold this weekend and some snow mid week. If nothing else it should feel like hunting season. But hold out hope - some seem turn up every year.
Thanks!
Your the guy I wanted to hear from, but not exactly what I wanted to hear?
We usually hunt the third season with a few tags, and are able to turn up one or two decent bucks. With my son having the only tag on a fourth season hunt, we’re hoping to find at least one? But ya, from posts here, and a little social media, there’s been quite a few hitting the ground…
Thanks again!

What my post really says is it should be ideal aside from the fact that most of the harvest has been completed.

Pretty much every group of does has a little buck or two hanging around.

Maybe you can find one that some flatlander has trained up with his long range shooting and spent the last couple weeks in the trees.

What my post really says is it should be ideal aside from the fact that most of the harvest has been completed.

Pretty much every group of does has a little buck or two hanging around.

Maybe you can find one that some flatlander has trained up with his long range shooting and spent the last couple weeks in the trees.
Gotcha!
I don’t know that we fall into that category “not that there’s anything wrong with that” (making sure I stay politically correct these days)?
Never been privy to the hayfields, or any private, solely public land over there…
And we like the trees?

We hunted some low country in 75 and never saw a buck chase a doe until Wednesday. Different/ bigger bucks showing up every day since then.if you find does, you should find some decent bucks.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom