Spanking Kids?

Feleno

Long Time Member
I think its a damn good idea. Me and my siblings turned out well, didnt talk back to the parentw to often after getting whacked a few times. Kids of my generation behaved a lot better. Nowadays parents threaten there kids with counting to 3. One... (long pause) Two.....(longer pause)... then three. Kid doesn't behave so they start over... One..... two.... two and a half. Its a fricken joke. The kids are running the parents and have full control. I think you tell a kid to do something, if he don't you whack him. none of this counting to 3 crap. I know parents can get in trouble nowadays for spanking but it needs to be done. How many of you beaten down parents count to 3? How many would admit to spanking?

i whipped my kids, not to often because they were good kids just sometime they really pissed me off. and if i had to do it over ide whip the again

Im a believer in spanking. Counting to 3 only makes a parent look like an idiot.

I've only had to spank my son one time when he was 5. He did something that he knew was not allowed, I warned him the first time and told him he would get spanked if he did it again. A few days later he did, so I took him outside where the deed happened and spanked him hard 3 times. I truly did not enjoy it and he could tell, but we both knew justice had to happen.

Now he's 11 and probably too old to spank but he knows I keep my word and he respects that.

Brahms

SOMETIMES YOU JUST HAVE TO GET THEIR UNDEVIDED ATTENTION....A GOOD OLD FASHION BUTT WHIPPIN ACCOMPLISHES THIS TASK.....YD.

I'm for spanking as well, but under certain rules. Don't spank just because you're mad, it's not for you to feel better but a tool to teach your kids with. I liked the earlier post that said he felt really bad for spanking his boy, I respect that, if you're spanking your kids and liking it you need to reevaluate why you are doing it.

These are a couple of kids I wouldn't mind spanking!

48dafcca1b0e5fdd.jpg

RUS

DO you have kids, Feleno?

I count to three. If you don't stop whatever you're doing by the time I get to three, or get over to me by the time I get to three....spaking. I rarely have to spank, but they know I will.

I will spank if I have to, but I don't like to do it. My kids don't run me and they know just from "the look" and "the snap" when they're screwing up. I will follow through with punishment if I threaten it, so I don't threaten to spank all the time. Sometimes it's a time-out if a kid is doing something he or she enjoys with other kids a time-out is much worse punishment than a spanking. My 4 year old will gladly take a spanking if he can get right back to playing. But take him out of the game....he's pissed. He knows he has to calm down, apologize and knock it off if he is to go back
and play.

Jenn

Rus, we did not know you were into S&M. Joking aside, there is times that it takes a good spanking to get the message across. some kids need it, where others all the correction needed is a good talking too. I aggree that it should not be done when you are still mad, too much chance of going to far and the child gets the wrong message.
I believe in giving the kid a good talking on why he got spanked and that it does not mean you do not love him.

RELH

Yeah Feleno - Jenn is a really scary Mom and when she counts to three - everyone else around her looks like idiots becuase they feel if they don't toe the line - they might be next!

We spank when it is necessary. It is the only thing that gets my 5 yr old's attention.

My 11 yr old is too big, but not to get his mouth popped if he gets a little lippy.

For my 7 yr. old it doesn't work too well. She gets her feelings more hurt than the spanking. She responds better to a more gentle yet stern approach.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Hunters, I am an old retired public school teacher. I know for a fact that children need to be disciplined. Our society is going to pay dearly because the last two generations of Americans did not properly discipline their children. I am not much of an elk hunter it seems (just got back from hunting cows in unit 61 in Colorado and scored a big ole zero---again) but I do know a thing or three about teaching school. The lack of parental involvement in discipling their children is epidemic. For years and years, the U.S. Military provided discipline to young men and women but with the military not really taking many people into the ranks, that source of training is dimishing. Self discipline used to be the rule and it is the greatest virtue a person can own.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-24-08 AT 10:19PM (MST)[p]

I have a great kid, but he did have the ole red ass a few times.
That was all that was needed.
My brother has this new age wife that believes in
R-E-A-S-O-N-I-N-G with children.
You know the "time out" thing, where they are sent to their room filed with all the latest electronic gadgets.
Those kids are like tazmanian devils, absolutley out of control.
Oh yeah I believe in spanking.
HH

HH,

Reasoning? I bet family get togethers are a treat.

My dad believed in reasoning. "This is the reasoning your getting spanked"!!

Im not against spanking, I was raised with it and needed it, but reasoning can be effective IF done properly. Most parents are not equipped to do so and dont have the fortitude to back it up. I took a class with my wife several years ago called Love and Logic, at the time my oldest daughter (7) was rebelling, and was a holy terror, and her little sister was learning well from her. Now 11 and 8 years old they are accountable for themselves and we literally get compliments from others almost everywhere we go. I would not have believed it was possible. I have heard commercials on the radio lately where parents say "I just use those words and they stop arguing." Before I would have thought it a joke but it really does work and has made all of the difference. But if I did need to spank I would.

JACKMASTERS PARENTS SHOULD OF SPANKED HIS A$$ & HARD!!!

BUT THEY DIDN'T!!!

NOW HE THINKS A SPANKIN IS SOMETHING YOU GIVE A RED-HEAD!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Why in the hell are you allowing your kids to get away with doing something wrong for three more seconds? Bad deeds are bad deeds, and they are bad now. Therefore will be done with now. Not in three seconds from now, but right friggen now!

I agree that spanking does not have to happen every time a child needs to be punished, as there are other affective routs to take. But sometimes you need to bring out the big guns, belts, wooden spoons, switches off of trees, whatever. All of those previousely posted items were all usefull in my upbringing.

I don't believe in time out or counting to 3. Time out for what, so they can think about how they will get away with it next time. Time out does nothing. Counting does nothing unless you are counting to 3 while swatting them on the butt.

Other things i've done that have helped is make the kids do push-ups until they can't anymore. Ground them from going outside, which really gets my oldest, or watching TV and playing video games, which gets my 2nd oldest. also give them lots of extra chores for more serious offenses so when they get home from school, they do homework and work all evening until bedtime, no time for playing.

Good topic F'dude, however your comment that you turned out well, may still be up for debate :)

If the lil'basterds have no fear of anything happening to them while they are still young, chances are they never will.

Most schools now teach the kids that NO ONE can spank you and they know it and that is why they push it to the limits. My bro-in-law told me one time before he passed away, they have no control anymore in school over the kids.

Like someone said, "time out" for what? Going to do it all over again later.

GIVE them a good smack or two with an old Barbers chair leather strap for honing the razors, they will think twice the next time.

It took me a lot of hits to finally get the lesson from my dad and he encouraged the Principal in my Grammar School to use his "ping pong" with holes drilled through it to get my attention when I was out causing problems. LOL Eelgrass can related to that too.

Brian

Guess I'm on the oposite end of things here (no pun intended there.... LOL). I don't spank my kids, and they're quite well behaved, good kids! 9, 11, and 14 years old. No significant trouble from any of them (yet...).

One shoe does NOT fit all!! I have absolutely NO problem with anyone spanking their kids (I was whipped as a boy on accasion....)!!! I expect that nobody would have a problem with me not spanking mine...

I discovered early on what my children's hot buttons are. It's easy enough for me to remove privileges as punishment (including grounding, no TV, NO HUNTING, etc...), etc. when they are out of line. It has worked for us up til now.

IMO, good parents are good parents. Poor parents are poor parents. Spanking does not necessarily make a kid better, good parenting makes a kid better. The other day while watching one of my boy's Pop-Warner football games I saw a mom in the stands dishing-out a little _ss wuppin' on her small son. During the dishing-out of the punishment, she uttered the 'F' word to him several times.... Nice punishment.... :-( I'm sure it made her feel good anyway... Again; good parenting is key, not whether you spank or not!!!

As I already said; I have absolutely nothing against spanking, but it is NOT the only answer. The right punishment along with the right parenting will get the job done.

My $.02.... ;-)

S.

:)

I dont have a problem counting to 3 expecialy if the kid doesn't understand that his choice, action was bad or wrong. By counting to 3 they understand that they mad a bad choice and have a second to rethink what they have done and make corrections. If a kid can relise that they have done bad and correct them self's thats good.

But if they dont correct themself's then they get it good!!!

Jeff

Have to agree with most of what you said. I think that parenting has a lot to do with what the kids do and turn out like. My kids are great (10, 8, 5, 2) and they behave very well for active boys, but that being said they do have their moments and this is why I give them a 3 count to see if they will make the right choice and correct themselfs. If not I have no problems with my size 11.5 finding their back side.

I dont have a problem with parents spanking their kids, but some parents use it as an excuse to unload some of their anger that they cant (or dont know how to) control.

To each his own right, untill it gets to much, and who is the one that says where you draw the line.

Jeff

+1 Grizzlyplumber on the Parenting with Love and Logic. Nothing like empowering your children with the ability to make choices knowing there will be concequences. There are many tools in the parents tool belt many have been posted above.
My oldest daughter was so sensitive just raising our voice was enough to get a change in behavior. Our next two children were a different story, many spankings. Then we began foster care and adoption, no spanking allowed by our wonderful state of CA. So we learned many other techniques.
The MOST IMPORTANT is to be consistant with your follow through....DO NOT MAKE FALSE THREATS OF PUNISHMENT. Thanks for reading my $.02.

Marc

1 Corinthians 2:2

I was raised by a single mom and she use to beat the crap out of me with a leather dog leash. Now days she would probably have been arrested. Her putting me in "Time Out" or counting to 3 would of only inspired me to do more bad things.

Kids these days have no respect for their elders. Have any of you seen that show on Tru-tv called The Principle. The way those kids talk back to the principle is a joke. If I would of talk to any of my Principles like that I would of got the leash.

EASY kingfish!!!

NO!!!

I DIDN'T GET SPANKED!!!

I GOT ME A$$ KICKED!!!

YOU SHOULD'OF BEEN THERE THE TIME MY OLE MAN GOT TURNED IN TO THE COPS BETTER THAN 35 YEARS AGO & I HAD TO TELL THEM A MILLION TIMES HE DIDN'T HURT ME & EVERYTHING WAS A O.K.!!!

IF THAT WOULDA HAPPENED TODAY THEY'D OF THROWED DAD IN JAIL & THROWED THE KEY!!!

AS MENTIONED ABOVE!!!

THE TEACHERS START POUNDING IT TO KIDS JUST STARTING SCHOOL THAT THEIR PARENTS CAN'T TOUCH THEM!!!

I SPLAINED A FEW THINGS TO MY KIDS!!!

SOMETIMES BY TALKING!!!

SOMETIMES BY WAY OF MY BOOT!!!

WHAT'YA GONNA DO TURN ME IN???

WHAT REALLY WORRIES ME IS THE NEXT GENERATION OF IDIOTS THAT NEVER HAD ANY PARENTING!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

You know what's a joke? The Love and Logic program. Anyone ever heard of it? It is the "reasoning" approach which does not work.

My Dad did not have to spank me very much when I was a kid... He had a very effective way of looking at me. But he always reserved the spanking option. I did the same for my kids. I agree with spanking and they knew it...

Somtimes you just have to reassure the little darlings that you love them with a good sound spanking.

mtmayhem, I have to disagree, as I stated above my wife and I attended the Love and Logic program several years ago and still use it. It is not "reasoning" with the child. Im not sure where you got that information, but I credit this method with how my daughters have turned out. The basic idea behind Love and Logic is to teach your children to be accountable to consequences, and to encourage them to fail in small and unimportant things so they can face those consequences, then when they face bigger and more important decisions they are more likely to make the proper choice. I believe you have received some bad information on Love and Logic.

"THE TEACHERS START POUNDING IT TO KIDS JUST STARTING SCHOOL THAT THEIR PARENTS CAN'T TOUCH THEM!!!"

I sure don't "teach" this at my school. Responsible parents are far better teachers to their own kids. Responsible parents understand what their kids usually need.

MM is not really the place I would come to in order to learn how to discipline my kids.

But it sounds like most here have it right..

GLAD TO HEAR IT woodruff!!!

THEY SURE DO IT AROUND HERE!!!

47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

I don't have a problem with it. My youngest has his share of problems because of in utero drug use by his previous womb owner. And some sexual abuse on her part as well. ADHD, FAS, SAD, etc.

We tried everything...frequent spankings, talking, taking stuff away, extended timeouts. Discipline with him just did not seem to work.

Then we came across a program called 1-2-3 Magic. Seems a close kin to Love and Logic. It works for us and has made our lives much, much better with far less arguing and spankings now. Might not work for you, but it suits us fine.

I don't remember a single spanking given to me by my parents...probably happened as a toddler, I just don't remember it. My rule in life was to never make mom mad or embarassed.

I don't have kids yet, but I surely can say timeout when I was younger did no good. I grew up with 4 other boy cousins & my dad & uncle sure got are attention when we were out of line. It was the old stand up & touch your toes!!! Next coming a good kick in the ass. Even though that taught us a good lesson. Nothing was more painful than the 1-2hour talking to we had after. When I think back now I think the butt kicking was less painful than the 2-hour talking. Now my Mom on the other hand no one wanted her to get mad. She would drill us too we were dead. She would make us run, pushups, situps wind sprints....you name it. We were allway's in great shape though!!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom