Special Antelope hunt with my boy

passthrough

LAST EDITED ON Aug-27-12 AT 02:19PM (MST)[p]A long awaited hunt has come and gone. I decided to take my oldest boy (6) on his first real big game hunt. I bought an antelope tag from a long time family friend and figured it would be a great way to break my little guy in. My boy has been asking me if he could go hunting with me since he was three so when I told him he could go on this one his excitment was through the roof! The ranch we hunted is awesome! Not an area known for producing B&C goats, but that was not what this hunt was about. It has tons of antelope, some big elk, and some big muleys, plus the occasional bear. After a long drive, we set up camp, and went scouting.
292photo3.jpg

After seeing a buch of goats, none that we wanted to shoot, we got poured on, it rained a little over 2 inches in about an hour. My little guy all bright eyed and ready to go saturday.
6767photo4.jpg

We finally saw a goat that we wanted to go after. But someone wanted some breakfast. So we headed in for a bite, and ended up helping some friends gut and quarter their antelope from that morning. Wes is an excellent leg holder. Time to go back out and look for our buck.
7730img_0384.jpg

It took a little longer to find him than we thought and my spotter took a nap.
6230photo2.jpg

Finally it was go time, there stood our buck 315 yards out, the shot went off and so did the buck, I knew he was hit good but i was nervous because of the way he ran out of sight, my boy did not share me uneasy feeling, he was so excited, I had to calm him down and explain that we need to find him and make sure he was down for good. After a few tense minutes of glassing we found him bedded in a small depression. The stalk was on! My little guy did great, we closed the distance to 215 yards. I had him sit next to me so he could get a good view of what was about to happen. The buck finally tried to stand up, fell once and then got up and quartered away, i hit him at the last rib and the bullet exited through the neck on the oppisite side. DOWN for good! Just then my boy tackled me and yelled you got him! Then he took off running to the goat. After I wrangled him back in, we walked up together and made sure he was down.
2466photo5.jpg

6837photo1.jpg

5684img_0387.jpg

894img_0389.jpg

7645img_0394.jpg

I will never forget this time spent with my child. It is refreshing to see hunting through the eyes of a child, too often we loose sight of how lucky we truly are. I cant wait for him to be behind the gun, and his little brother to follow in his foot steps.

That is what its all about! My boy is 18 months now and I hate leaving him home when I head out. I can't wait tell he is of age and we can spend hunting season together in the woods. He spends the majority of the spring strapped to my back while out scouting and shed hunting. Congrats to you and your boy!

Wes,

Nice!! You are going to enjoy hunting with those boys. Trust me! Enjoy every moment. They will be grown quick. Someday they will have to take us out. I know they will.

You my friend have just entered into another stage of an accomplished hunter. Taking your sons hunting you. The only bad part is that you will not pulling the trigger as much anymore. That's OK. Trust me you will get over it.

Seriously you are going to love all those first experiences with them. Here's to a "special" hunt experience with you son and many more to come.

Keep us posted!

congrats on the fine antelope and the time well spent with your son. I echo the feelings of the others waiting to get there kids out hunting. THis weekend we were in Redriver and saw a few deer. When my daughter would spot the deer she would say daddy are you should go shoot that deer. What a trip.

More Dad's in todays society need do this. I applaude you for taking the time to take your kid hunting. It looks like he had a blast!

I have a 11 month old and can't wait to take him with me.

Your a great role model for the future of your kids!

Congrats on a terrific lope. Even made better that your son was there with you.
Can't get any better than that.

Eldorado

LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-12 AT 02:39PM (MST)[p]Thanks for all of the kind words. My poor little guy was tuckered out after one day, something to think of, i thought he would be good for two days, boy was I wrong. All in all a great experience with my boy. I am just following in footsteps of all the great fathers out there and on this site that do things like this with their children. There are things our kids will learn out hunting that they will never learn from a book, much less the TV or a video game. This is what makes hunting so great, something we all need to fight for. Dont forget to vote, there are tons of people out their that would like nothing more than to change our way of life.

Great buck Wes! It's a good thing that you are getting your kids into this fine sport. I could not imagine my life today if my dad had never introduced me to hunting. Before you know it you he will be the one pulling the trigger.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom