Special draw bear tags???

HUNTNNW

I have seen many people jumping for joy and read countless posts how they have applied for a certain bear tag and finally drew after years and years?? WTH..am I reading these right?? maybe they meant mule deer or elk?? your in ID there are bears everywhere! and you dont have to draw for them..they are like rats. I am baffled by this

Yah most of us hunt bears every where but it is a good opportunity to get out on a limited hunt and specifically to have some awesome spot and stalk hunting.

Just like deer and elk. I can have a great hunt over the counter every year but I also look forward to a controlled hunt too.

My wife drew unit 22 and it should be a fun hunt for her. We will see a lot of bears in open country, tons of color phrases and some large ones on top of that.

Success rates in both units is not too high, and I wonder the appeal as well. I think 50% apply just because they can (myself included), but don't know much about the area. I could kill bears every year in general units across the state, but since there is a "Controlled Hunt", people apply for it. It will even get worse if they implement points.

I think there are a ton of people that put in for hunts, whether its a bear tag or whatever, because of something they heard once. Look at some of the units that are extremely hard to draw, low success rates, very few if any trophy quality animals killed.

Just wait til all the results come out. A bunch of people will be asking "I drew such-and-such tag and I'm looking for some information on where to go..." Most of these guys have never been in the units when they draw the tag.

I'm guilty too, but I also put in for fairly easy draws. You won't see me with an early 40 bull tag asking for help.

That ain't a camel toe, that's a moose knuckle!

I am betting that it is guys that wont to spot and stalk without the hound hunters ruining there effort. Ron

Almost all units, OTC and controlled have time to use dogs and a dogs prohibited time.

The point is that in unit 22 and 32 dogs and bait are prohibited. That means that a guy that wants to spot and stalk a bear does not have to worry about hounds ruining his hunt. I know that I quit hunting bears on the opener in September because hound hunters ruined our hunts every time. I had a bear that I was watching from camp one time. The next day was opening day and they set the dogs loose in my camp at 5:00 in the morning. The fish and game was called in to talk to them about it. But that was not the only time. Hound hunters ruin the chances for guys wanting to hunt bears using spot and stalk. Every region in the state should offer a couple of units that are bear free and Bait free zones. Ron

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-12 AT 05:52PM (MST)[p]You can still run dogs in 22/31 and 32/32A, during the month of September. Almost all units allow dogs for the first part of September. Almost all units prohibit dogs in the month of October.

But, you're right about hound guys cutting loose in campgrounds, I've seen it more than once...

No dogs in the spring in controlled units either...

In the draw units the bears are much bigger and unlike the OTC units there are Boars not just Sows with cubs. I drew the spring bear hunt 2 years in a row in 2008 and 2009. It was a blast, not like fighting it out with everyone else. I never saw another hunter. Here's the bear I took in 2008
6548bear.jpg

Your going to have to show me that. I see that they can train dogs from May 23 to July 31. Out of that season it is no dogs of bait. I don't see where it is legal to go there in September. Your going to have to show me what page. ROn

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-12
>AT 05:52?PM (MST)

>
>You can still run dogs in
>22/31 and 32/32A, during the
>month of September. Almost all
>units allow dogs for the
>first part of September. Almost
>all units prohibit dogs in
>the month of October.
>
>But, you're right about hound guys
>cutting loose in campgrounds, I've
>seen it more than once...
>
>
>No dogs in the spring in
>controlled units either...
>
>That ain't a camel toe, that's
>a moose knuckle!

Page 62, 2012 fall bear.

Season is Sep 1-Oct 31. Dogs Prohibited Oct 1-31. See note 1, page 62....

Notes
1. Controlled hunt tag holders must have a hound-hunter permit to use dogs in this hunt. Any dogs used must be under the control of the tag holder.

Bait is prohibited.

Most units are like that with the dogs. Mostly once the rifle seasons start, dogs are prohibited.

I had one of these tags last year along with a cousin. We saw a ton of bears, both spot and stalk and with dogs the only shot I took was spot n stalk in the midst of everyone rigging for hounds and my cousin's bear was shot as well spot n stalk during the chase season. If anything the houndsmen made certain areas more feasible to spot n stalk getting bears out of thicker cover. In october we went back and they had turned onto the pine cones falling and were back in the thick cover and harder to see. But a great experience with a ton of bears.

RIP Lil Bro' "Huntnfever"

I missed that. I saw the dogs and bait prohibited and didn't look at it close enough. Ron

>Page 62, 2012 fall bear.
>
>Season is Sep 1-Oct 31. Dogs
>Prohibited Oct 1-31. See note
>1, page 62....
>
>Notes
>1. Controlled hunt tag holders must
>have a hound-hunter permit to
>use dogs in this hunt.
>Any dogs used must be
>under the control of the
>tag holder.
>
>Bait is prohibited.
>
>Most units are like that with
>the dogs. Mostly once the
>rifle seasons start, dogs are
>prohibited.
>
>That ain't a camel toe, that's
>a moose knuckle!

I don't agree with your idea that the dogs get them out of the brush. Unless your shooting the bears as someone else's dogs are chasing them by you. I have seen the opposite. You go up scouting in August and see a lot of bears. Once the hounds are released you don't see any more bears. I am not against hound hunting. I just think their should be areas that have no hound hunting at all. That way there would be places for both types of hunting without a conflict. Ron

>I had one of these tags
>last year along with a
>cousin. We saw a
>ton of bears, both spot
>and stalk and with dogs
> the only shot I
>took was spot n stalk
>in the midst of everyone
>rigging for hounds and my
>cousin's bear was shot as
>well spot n stalk during
> the chase season.
>If anything the houndsmen made
>certain areas more feasible to
>spot n stalk getting bears
>out of thicker cover. In
>october we went back and
>they had turned onto the
>pine cones falling and were
>back in the thick cover
>and harder to see.
>But a great experience with
>a ton of bears.
>
>RIP Lil Bro'
>"Huntnfever"

That's fine Ron, It is not an notion or an Idea or speculation.. but an observable fact that we utilized to our advantage. I don't agree that you know what is best for all in every aspect or situation of every area of Idaho.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-12 AT 02:19PM (MST)[p]Your no more an expert than I am or anyone else is. Your knowledge of those particular hunting regulations is more than mine I will give you that. I already knew that once the deer hunt kicked in the dogs were out no big secret. But your knowledge of every aspect of hunting in Idaho isn't worth two squirts of cat piss. I guess were are even. Ron

Ron, I was setting you straight on what worked for us. In a hunt, where hounds were used concurrently. In response to the original thread question which is why people hunted in those two specific units. Because success can be attained either by spot and stalk or hounds and it was a fun experience. You stated you have had an opposite experience, but yet when I state my experience on other end of the spectrum that contradicts yours,in regards to those units.. is not possible apparently. I never said what you experienced there or on the general hunts was wrong, or incorrect.
Your a opinionated man, I stated my opinion just like you.. So I say I can sit on an overlook with clearcuts and watch the bears move through all day long and why I think it was happening You then tell me that can't happen. Or won't happen, Don't come here and jump my Chit.... for me stating my own experience and how that isn't possible or why. I don't put up with it in real life and I don't put up with it here.
So you got a strong response, You don't like it, sorry. That's what happens online and offline. You have and never will see me state that how someone else chooses to hunt, how they prepare, what they use, how they get there... how long to scout,what unit, if the wife and kids were along or what they choose to do with their time in the outdoors is right or wrong. It is none of your business or anyone else's or mine. Especially when I don't know them and they don't know me. Beyond that.... your right my experience in Idaho isn't worth anything to you why would it be? It isn't a competition for me, I have my wall full of memories just like everyone else. I just go out the door and wander through the woods and waterways and what happens happens. We butt heads... we disagree the end. RIP Lil Bro' "Huntnfever"

You have a completely different idea about what was said. Calm down and re read it.

Yes I have had the opposite experience from you. In the areas I have hunted, hounds will run off bears that I have watched all summer. Yes I have watched them running them so I know.
I never said that what you saw was not true or you didn't see it that way.

I did say this " You go up scouting in August and see a lot of bears. Once the hounds are released you don't see any more bears" I should not have written you. I didn't mean "you" I was meaning that I would go up scouting in august. You were not being questioned on that. That was my experience, I was typing faster than I was thinking that happens at times.

I don't agree with you when you said

"If anything the houndsmen made certain areas more feasible to spot n stalk getting bears out of thicker cover."

It has been my experience that they brush up even heavier and go semi nocturnal after being ran. Pressured animals react in different ways. When dogs pressure birds they become very skittish and hard to approach. Deer and elk that live in areas that are heavily hunted also become skittish and hard to find. Even to the point of being nocturnal.

If you have a different experience in your hunting areas great. I never jumped your chit about it. I gave you my views. You apparently took them the wrong way.

Then you went on rambling about this

" You have and never will see me state that how someone else chooses to hunt, how they prepare, what they use, how they get there... how long to scout,what unit, if the wife and kids were along or what they choose to do with their time in the outdoors is right or wrong. It is none of your business or anyone else's or mine. Especially when I don't know them and they don't know me."

Where the he!! did that come from? Are you off your meds? I never
said anything about any of that chit. You need to cool down and reread this whole thread. Your a hot head and I can tell you this. You said this

"So you got a strong response, You don't like it, sorry. That's what happens online and offline."

I can give a strong response off line too. I don't like your attitude and threatening me. I will promises you this you won't like me if you push me into a corner. Your integrity was not questioned in any of this but your about to step over the line with me.
Ron

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-12 AT 01:31AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-12 AT 01:08?AM (MST)

Your right Ron, I got hung up on and with the use of "You, Your" "I don't agree with your idea that the dogs get them out of the brush. "Unless your shooting the bears as someone else's dogs are chasing them by you." Now after reading and writing this response, We can agree that was too literal of a reading on my part.We can chalk it up as a misunderstanding.. I just read how you stated you shouldn't have used you, your ect... I can also agree with the nocturnal statements about the game and weather, and especially in those areas when the berries and apples are on you see them everywhere. When they shut off... they turn to pincones as they did late last october.

I told you that was fine if you disagreed, I stated that I disagreed with your views that you have expressed multiple times in these forums. No different than you. If I feel strongly about something I will state my opinion if I choose.
In regards to yours I have never before had an occasion nor reason to challenge them or express them. It does no good in most cases as no one is going to be swayed. You usually have something to say that is educational.
At the time I did not feel that was the case..

As far as being a hothead? LOL ask any from your area who know me from Mt home, Carey, Richfield, Pasehmerio Valley to Burley to Boise.. And I reside in southeast Idaho. I am sure we have acquaintances and friends in common, I hunt everywhere in southern Idaho and central. If i don't like what you say or insinuate I will let you know as I did in the case here. Online or offline the example used in my previous post was to illustrate if you were standing in front of me or in the vicinity. I have and never will have any need to threaten anyone, Don't confuse my assertiveness with aggression. I was defending my actions and views that I felt were under attack. I am not passive by any means and I do have a strong personality.I will express myself. My attitude will remain the same with you or anybody else.

If I find I am in error, or the other party is and we come to a mutual understanding of intent, Great. It happens in any type of communication. If not i just don't interact with them. Transitioning to my other statement there are so many ethics cops, and people who are too busy watching what and how the other person does things in the outdoors. That
leads to my statement that I am not concerned with what and how the guy across the street...Or anyone else does anything legally in the outdoors. It is a response to what I was perceiving you were saying. Transition number two:

Please find all the knockdown drag outs or conflict I have had in the 16 years plus on here. You will be hard pressed.
All that anger management, mental issues stuff? Dafuq? Really? Am i not reading that right? But at any rate... it is what it is , we are 3 days out from the initial postings..
It's good for a belly laugh if nothing else. Feel free to come out of your corner at anytime.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom