Special thanks to Littlebighorn!

canyoncrosser

A few months back I posted hoping to find a cape for my elk mount after it had been destroyed by moths.
I was able to purchase another cape from Littlebighorns son That actually came from a reasonable walking distance from where my elk was shot.
I'm so pleased it's almost an identical match and it might actually be even better! This was possibly a once-in-a-lifetime bull for me, and to have it back in this condition is a relief!
Be careful and watch your mounts for moths, they can ruin your trophy room.

Thank you so much again!

Glad things turned out.

Question about the moths. Did you have any idea that the cape was being destroyed by them or did it just happen all at once? We've gotten a few moths in our home. I kill the buggers as soon as I see them. However, I did notice a small one sitting on the cape of a mount the other day. Has made me nervous.

Go in there right now and rub it down and see if hair falls out. They eat the hide allowing all the hair to fall out like a cape was slipping. Check the ears and crevices for larvae. Then bug bomb the room and again in 5-6 days.
There is a spray called mount medix or something like that that needs to be applied to kill and repel also.
Good luck, by the time I saw a moth it was too late!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-18 AT 10:27AM (MST)[p]canyoncrosser, you have a great office space, quite the variety. Awesome. What species of fish are those?

Thanks for posting that for me, I never could figure out that last step! Those little buggers almost ruined my room!

The fish to the right of the elk in the photo is a 45 lb lake trout from Flaming Gorge. 2lumpy and I went on that trip, it's one of my favorite trophies for sure.

The fish on the other wall is a brown trout, my favorite fish to chase.

CCrosser,
Thanks should really go to my son, bighornhunter. It was his cape that now adorns your beautiful bull. After seeing your new trophy it made us both a little sad to see the cape go but we are happy it found a worthy home!
Congrats on the exceptional trophy

Thank you Bighornhunter! The pics above were a before and after. I'm so relieved I honestly can't tell the difference between the old and new!
Please let him know he has given me much relief and pleasure if he doesn't check in here often.

Just curious where you live that moths are a problem. So happy you had the blessing of a new cape. Beautiful office ?

I live in the middle of Cali, but I've been told there really is no rhyme or reason to these moths.
Can happen anywhere and to any mount old or new. I have plenty of other mounts in the garage that were unaffected and all the others in the above pic were fine. Just the elk got it. And he had been sprayed when he left the shop a year prior.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom