spike elk hunts

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-09 AT 05:39PM (MST)[p]I think someone needs to spend more time scouting and buying needed items for a hunt, and less time avoiding people and flapping their lip on the internet.

Just my 2 cents on this topic.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-09 AT 05:46PM (MST)[p]:eek:
4a9477c912bd4ce3.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-09 AT 05:45PM (MST)[p]haven't read all the posts, so excuse me if I cover previous territory. When Anis Aoude presented the DWR's plan to open up spike hunting, I specifically ask him if the primary reason was to then be able to reduce antlerless harvest because there would then be room for more cows under the population objective cap. This in turn would then translate into higher calf production and thus equal more elk hunting opportunities in the future. There is no question that it will eventually end up being a situation that there will have to be fewer big bulls and fewer LE tags. What I haven't seen yet though is a reduction in antlerless tags---- maybe next year, I guess we will see. I for one will be reminding them of that statement.

ok here, for one do you guys not understand that spikes cannot breed? great you killed a spider bull whoopde-do! now your killing off all the off spring, but that bull that never breaks 340 is still out there breeding year after year, and next thing you know you killed out a great genetic! like I said 5 yrs and utah will be hurting.

And I think someone needs to take their pink razor and go back to the blue oyster! ROFDL!

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

I will say this about the pressure on the dutton during the bow hunt.

On the opener we ran into the local conservation officer. He told us he was apauled by the number of people on the mountain. He said he's never seen it worse. He also said that most of the pressure was early LE rifle hunters scouting for their hunt. He then proceeded to pull over a 6 yr old who flew by on a quad!

Yeah, talk about rubbing your eyes! Not only do they have to worry about everyone and their dogs but now they have to worry about 6 year olds on quads too! lol

I still found the pressure at that time laughable. He low country: Do you remember what the pressure in the sacs used to look like??? well divide that by about 1000 less hunter sightings per day and you have the dutton! very light pressure compared to other states.

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-09 AT 07:19PM (MST)[p]OMG fireman! Where did that come from?

Hey, I am getting ready!;-)

REDD, who got bitty slapped? Ha! That is funny stuff!

i dont have a problem with somebody killin a spike as long as its legal. however i will not shoot a spike elk even though i have never killed an elk. i would let um walk

I guess I got a bur in my panties, here I am down in the valley, and the bulls are fired up right now in one of the honey holes.

Pro-
"We have 65,000+ elk, and we are not maximizing this awesome resource by issuing spike tags."

And how have we reached 65,000+ head again??

Spike tags have been issued for over 20 years now on the two biggest units in the state, and two that continually kick those 360" bulls that you so proudly killed on your AR301 tags.
(congratulations by the way, those are awesome bulls in MY book!)
Are those 360" bulls "pisscutters" to you now?? ;-)

360" bulls are a walk in the park on the Wasatch, Manti, Boulder and Fishlake units, just to mention the big four and they slaughter spikes there!!

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

I wonder how many of your bulls die of old age? I mean heck if you have 65000 elk and you say almost half that are bulls, then lets say 10 percent of those are spikes, I get 3250 spikes. now you guys are hunting them on a crazy scale, how many le mature bull tags do you give out on average? I bet more mature bulls die of old age than hunters harvest there. killing spikes is not the answer, I still don't see it as a good idea for long term success.

HH-
BINGO, your finally hitting it on the head! ;-)
Our herds ARE so big we ARE losing some bulls (and cows) due to natural causes, you exactly right!
Are those old gray bearded bulls trophy bulls??
Heck now, not all bulls reach trophy status just because they are old.
I have seen 11+ year old bulls killed that are only 330" and less.

Fact is, we are FULL of elk here in Utah and just about at capacity. If we shut the spike elk hunt down for even one year we'd be at full capacity, and that's no BS.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-09 AT 08:24AM (MST)[p]All I can say at this point....... is that I hope everyone posts pictures of these "pisscutter" bulls that get taken this year on the units that have been spike for 20 years!!!

Stinky,
Maybe there is tons of extra pressure on the dutton this due in part because of the amount of talk about that particular unit on this sight alone this year, ever think of that!!!
I have had people who have never even heard of the dutton ask where it is!!! So, I have been giving GPS coordinates!!LOL
OOoopppss was that my outside voice??

that is correct. table mountain is also the best spot for a giant. dont forget to send them there. lol

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

well slam you guys do have an elk problem! trying to find the right methods to control an elk population can't be easy, especially since every hunter wants to think their way is best. and I know older bulls don't reach trophy standards these days. I for one would be proud to have outsmarted a 10+ year old bull! and by the way I have no clue where the dunton is! but I will accept one of the invites one day and see for myself what the fuss is all about!

>well slam you guys do have
>an elk problem! trying to
>find the right methods to
>control an elk population can't
>be easy, especially since every
>hunter wants to think their
>way is best. and I
>know older bulls don't reach
>trophy standards these days. I
>for one would be proud
>to have outsmarted a 10+
>year old bull! and by
>the way I have no
>clue where the dunton is!
>but I will accept one
>of the invites one day
>and see for myself what
>the fuss is all about!
>

HH-
Your welcome in my camp anytime and i admire your stand up personality and views :)
48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Not me!;-)

If pro and horn are there slam, I have to pass! Well, okay, horn can be there and I will show up.;-)

I just want to show up and see how it is really done. pro out did me with two 360 archery bulls. All I can muster up is 374 and 379. So I think this is 400 or nothing!;-)

Well, on second thought, me and pro can be there together. What is the worst thing that could happen? A short fat guy and a tall lanky cowboy play UFC for a minute or two?;-)

Thanks slamdunk, well every guy from utah's welcome around my camp fires! there's nothing better than a good debate on mm, at least you get to be heard, unlike at home even when im right, im always wrong! lol

"Thanks slamdunk, well every guy from utah's welcome around my camp fires!"

Dude, you dont mean that! Trust me on this one, you DONT mean that!;-)

Let me tell you why. How many wives do you really want? Isnt one enough? You will not be happy with 5 wives and 35 kids. Also, you will be doing bible study on Sunday's instead of hunting.;-)

ktc the way I see it is I can camp with a few and try to out run you guys to the good spots, or we can camp together drink your beer and bs the hell out of you and then walk to the good spots! as far as wives go, not a snowballs chance! it took me to Damn long to get rid of the last one! and I've got standards these days, if she hasn't, can't, or won't pack out elk quarters she's gone!

lol :) I still think killing spikes is bad, im just getting tired of scrolling to the bottom of this page!

Maybe everyone can just show up at the campfire at night and we can have a good ol MM cussing match face to face. LOL HH, ktc, slam, ut, pro, and perhaps a few others? Pro and ktc will provide the pay-per-view entertainment. Who's bringin the popcorn?

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

hell stinky im in! just give me a few days, im Damn near in tx I live so far south! and it better be a lot better than the lenser fight!

A 'showdown' with me and KTC would have a winner determined by whose back gives out last. I want to clear up a myth, I am NOT short unless 6' is considered short now-a-days. Of course to a tall lanky cowboy I probably do appear to be short, but I tower over slammy.

In truth, I am simply looking forward to helping my good friend stinky have a great hunt, seeing my favorite mountain on the planet, and seeing a few elk. That's it for this fat bald old guy. All from the comfort of the patio of the Merc.

PRO

My back is already out. I guess we could take it out further?;-)

Yes, to me, 6' is very short. slammy? He is a midget with muscles!;-)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-09 AT 03:05PM (MST)[p]>A 'showdown' with me and KTC
>would have a winner determined
>by whose back gives out
>last. I want to clear
>up a myth, I am
>NOT short unless 6' is
>considered short now-a-days. Of course
>to a tall lanky cowboy
>I probably do appear to
>be short, but I tower
>over slammy.
>
>In truth, I am simply looking
>forward to helping my good
>friend stinky have a great
>hunt, seeing my favorite mountain
>on the planet, and seeing
>a few elk. That's it
>for this fat bald old
>guy. All from the comfort
>of the patio of the
>Merc.
>
>PRO

"Tower over Slammy"

wtf....i'm 6' even!
When did 6' become a midget??
48288e6577d023b6.jpg

bart looks short cuz he's got little man syndrome. Thinks if he keeps telling himself he's tall that one day he will believe it! And what the heck are you talking about KTC your a friggin barbaric lookin thing! 6'6"???? That aint natural. You make my hairs stand up on my back cuz I aint use to lookin up to nobody. I figure I'm gonna take your cane away and bring you down to size.

HH, you live in texas? how far from me? I'm in artesia NM. SE NM

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

heck stinky we're neighbors! lovington. and ktc about time I met a few guys my height! 6'5" and I don't like women short you guys!

>"Tower over Slammy"
>
>wtf....i'm 6' even!
>When did 6' become a midget??
>
>
48288e6577d023b6.jpg

I'm taller because I have more hair on my head, thus I tower over you! You'll have to ask ktc when being 6' is considered short. LOL

One of my favorite lines from Rodney Carrington makes me think of stinky: "If I were any taller I probably be stupid", and He is 5'5". Qtpie is a lot shorter than stinky, but every one who has met them both know who the smart one is, and it is NOT stinky!

PRO

I'm 5'8" an will kick all yalls asses one at a time or all at once. Take your pick team dutton. I will bring my step ladder to stand on an whack Ty in the nose! An a pattie melt an kick Bart in the teeth when he bends over to pick it up! Knock Doug and Tony in the head with a 40Lb dumbell. Then I will steal your women and they will say "We don't much care about the 5' lets see the 8 inches" as we ride off into the sunset!
--------------------------------------

"I needed a cheesy signature saying like everyone else"

lce its easy, first it takes good genetics, proper management, and the next thing you know your running the herd! see now how would it feel if every one was out targeting you little guys!

I'll take NUNYA on my side, he can go for the knees and i'll go for the throat!

I'm thinking we are going to have quite the UFC around the campfire one night!!

Qtip, do you have any shiny pop poms and a short skirt so you can distract pro while Ty thows dirt in his eyes then finishes him off??

Rofl!!!!!!!

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Wow, this is getting fiesty! Maybe I better stay home? Nah, you guys are full of hot air!

You muscle guys need to remember one thing! All of those muscles dont make your face any tougher! Ha!;-)

I get NUNYA. I dont know how tough he is, but he does not seem to afraid of anything?

Dont do that QTIP! That would distract me!;-)

Nunya ladder whoop the hell out of them tall boys.Ha
You have me laughing my azz off this dutton hunts going to be something else.

I don't know if I want to hang out with all you utah guys now, just way to violent around here all the sudden! lol

I don't care how fiesty it is getting, Now it seems as though everyone all the sudden just lightened up!!! This is how most threads should start evolving, some get way to heated!!!
It is good to hear that everyone is going to kick each others butt's, instead OF "MY DAD CAN BEAT UP YOURS".
Good luck to all this weekend and hope the monster of the woods start showing up for everyone!!!!!!!(including myself)

All I know is while everyone is fighting at the big johnson contest. I will be in the corner with my pink buggie, and will be taking care of all of their women folk and getting the much needed passion that I thurst for.

don't worry ktc I'll bring my soon to be ex wife with me, she likes firemen, she's hot as hell, she dislikes hunting, dirt, trucks, quiet time, saving money and she's extremely fertile! I'll deliver for no charge!

I will be there Saturday Night to knock all your teeth out, and i wont even need a ladder or a patty melt! Nothin worse than a 5'1 munchkin who has had to flight VERY far with 3 kids all by herself! :p I will bring my pompoms skully, but i think it may be to cold to whip out the skirt....Maybe i will make an exception if you and stinky wear one too!!!Heck how about "skirts for all"!! I dont wanna be sexist and wound some of the more sensitive MMers![font size="22"]

[/font]

Lol Qtip, this hunts getting better by the day!

As for Stinky, i'm not too proud to admit i have personally nuked a few stinkbug posts without even telling him.
I also took a bullet for him when i nuked some things he was saying back to the guy who had his elk stolen.
That was MY bad, i wasn't on top of that thread, but beleive me....i got a VERY nasty PM from my good friend and confidant....Browtine, about it. ;-)

We love ya stink bug, your definately entertaining, but tone it the heck down so i can keep MOST of my friends!!! Lol ;-)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

IDK slammy!

You know I already don't drink, smoke, and enjoy the things in life most do. I gotta vent somehow! As far as tone it down goes...... I will never say another profane word on here again. However, I don't consider crap, prick, moron, stupid, or looser as bad words. I also can't be politically correct like you. Besides, I had a bad week. I think I'm going through menopause. So I have a right to be emotional. I got the hot flashes, pin pricks etc......Maybe other users on here got it right and maybe I better back off the juice! ROFDL!

4a1df3ee0ef8dc53.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom