sponsors

N

nmelkandmuleys

i would really like to get some sponsors. can anyone out here help me out. just looking for advice on how to go about the whole deal. thanks. i am a bow hunter, ive hunted speed goats muleys elk coyotes foxes hogs javelina and bear. any help at all would be appreciated

"Better to dwell in the wilderness, Then with a contentious and angry women Proverbs 21:19)

Sponsors for what? What are you selling?

No matter what you're trying to sell, I would suggest you start with some brainstorming and try to come-up with a plan/picture that would show the 'cost benefit' of someone sponsoring you. You'll need to demonstrate (likely in dollars/cents) what payback exactly, the sponsor will get.

Good luck!

S.

:)

cuacopollo;
is that a serious statement or sarcasim? to start off i might as well try it. to get a foot hold atleast

I think it was sarcasm and you'd probably get a job as a greeter at their front door before you would get them as a sponsor!

lol i know. i dont understand y ppl have to be so negative about stuff such as this. i am 17 and would like to pursue this only to enable myself to become a better hunter and be able to do this the rest of my life as much as i can. lord knows i aint had a break and that i dont have a mommy and daddy that can afford to buy me brand new bows and camo every year. and before a get slammed with negatives for posting this, i am not putting thos other kids down, i am glad for them. i bought my first real bow wen i was 13 and it was a used pse baby-g and i am still using it. i got a summer job and paid for my hunters safety and saved the rest to put in for my first ever elk and deer tag.i was able to draw both and since my mom really wasnt the type to go into the woods with me, she dropped me off and i hunted alone for the first 2 days. the third day i ran into an old timer and and he was a real cool guy. he let me fallow along. he glassed up a lil 3 point and told me how to get there, and i made my first ever stalk on a buck as a tag holder. i shot way far back and we decided to wait till the morning. we found him and the coyotes had torn him up real bad. it was a waist of meat i know but that hunt is wat got me hooked and i love the sport. so as you can tell i aint had it easy but i love hunting and i will continue to do it with or with out sponsors. haveing sponsors would make it alot easier on me tho lol. so i would very much like it if ppl would give me positive feed back and not beat me down for trying to make it easier on myself to do what i love.
thank for any and all help,
nmelkandmuleys

"Better to dwell in the wilderness, Then with a contentious and angry women Proverbs 21:19)

Nobody's trying to beat you down. Sponsers are for outdoor writers, guys that have hunting shows, and guys that consistently kill world class animals. Nobody is going to "sponser" a kid just starting out. However, there are a lot of guys (like me) that are more than willing to help out a kid just starting out. Sounds like you've done just fine so far. No shame in working for what you want - in fact it's quite admirable, especially in this day and age. You'll go far with your work ethic. No hand-outs needed. If there is something specific that you need, post it up, and I'm sure you'll find someone willing to help or point you in the right direction.

alright thanks nmtaxi

>Nobody's trying to beat you down.
> Sponsers are for outdoor
>writers, guys that have hunting
>shows, and guys that consistently
>kill world class animals.
>Nobody is going to "sponser"
>a kid just starting out.
> However, there are a
>lot of guys (like me)
>that are more than willing
>to help out a kid
>just starting out. Sounds
>like you've done just fine
>so far. No shame
>in working for what you
>want - in fact it's
>quite admirable, especially in this
>day and age. You'll
>go far with your work
>ethic. No hand-outs needed.
> If there is something
>specific that you need, post
>it up, and I'm sure
>you'll find someone willing to
>help or point you in
>the right direction.

Great post nmtaxi.

--Bill

+++ nmtaxi!!! We weren't trying to beat you down son, just trying to basically tell you like it is from years of experience that most of us have under our belts. My biggest suggestion would be to continue on with school and learn spelling, punctuation, etc., better and maybe you can then mix hunting/writing/photography together and eventually get to where you can attract sponsors. At 17 you can dream like we all do, but you also need to be more realistic in this world where there are probably scores of others wanting to do exactly the same thing that is your goal. Stay in school and that will be the first plus on your side and will go a long way in what you want to do. Then if that doesn't work out, you can fall back into something else to be able to lead a comfortable life and be able to huntas much as time allows.

I would recommend that you continue your education and try for a bachelors in media arts/videography/video editing. Something along those lines... With that you could get a job doing what you love and possibly your own hunting show (with sponsors) one day! Good luck

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-11 AT 11:02AM (MST)[p]Well stated nmtaxi and TOPGUN.

nmelkandmuleys, educate yourself and prove yourself in the field or in competition. There are LOTS of great hunters out there trying to garner sponsors and get on shows. Also, there are a few ways to "get sponsored." You can go pro on a shooting circuit, you can kill more giant animals than anyone else, you can write hunting articles, you can blog and write gear reviews, you can submit photography and videography to industry venders and websites, or you can just happen to know someone in the industry. But, the bottom line is that you need to be good at what you do and you need to set yourself above and apart from the other thousands of guys who share your dream.

One of the best things going for you right now is your age. At 17 you are young enough to make a go out of doing what you are passionate about. If you are serious about making hunting your life this is the time for you to make that committment. It won't come easy, but it will come with dedication and hard work.

Start writing about your experiences, lessons learned, what hunting means to you, or just about what is important to you. Better yet, write about your experiences as a kid who lives for hunting but has had to learn on his own and how that has shaped you. I think you do have a unique angle that people might enjoy reading about. For instance, your story about having your mother drop you off with a used bow for two days and meeting up with some old timer who helps you kill a deer is fascinating. But, you need to expand on the very simple story you gave us a glimpse of and combine it with some neat photos and observations. To get started I'd pick up a camera and start documenting your experiences with photos and stories.

Also, go to this website and ask for advice on launching a hunting career. www.ridgelineoutdoors.com
There are a few "industry" guys on this site who will likely be able to give you some good advice.

-Cody

www.streamflies.com

Don't ever give up! I started out just like you. I have done a few DVD's and some shows for the Outdoor Channel. It is a hard road but keep at it. I had a lot of people that said I couldn't do it but that didn't stop me. I just got a email from WallHanger TV today to try and set up a hunt that they could put on video so dream big and make it happen. Sponsors will come with the right connections and hard work. Go to school(college) so you can have a back-up plan.GOOD LUCK!

There is a great sponsorship program in this state, it is called 'the lottery scholarship.' Do well this coming year in highschool, get your diploma, get your applications in, and you could potentially get 3.5 years of paid college tuition. That is worth more than any 'free bow' or whatever, so i would put my energy into that. It will be the best sponsorship you will ever get. Then, with a quality education in biology or zoology or something, you can have a career in the outdoors doing real work and you can afford to hunt all you want for the rest of your life, without hitting other people up for money.

13 years ago when i was your age i also was a talented hunter and wanted to do that for the rest of my life, but at some point you have to come to terms with reality and give yourself some value by learning some other skills. You seem like a bright young man, and a quality education sure would make your momma proud

>There is a great sponsorship program
>in this state, it is
>called 'the lottery scholarship.'
> Do well this coming
>year in highschool, get your
>diploma, get your applications in,
>and you could potentially get
>3.5 years of paid college
>tuition. That is worth
>more than any 'free bow'
>or whatever, so i would
>put my energy into that.
> It will be the
>best sponsorship you will ever
>get. Then, with a
>quality education in biology or
>zoology or something, you can
>have a career in the
>outdoors doing real work and
>you can afford to hunt
>all you want for the
>rest of your life, without
>hitting other people up for
>money.
>
>13 years ago when i was
>your age i also was
>a talented hunter and wanted
>to do that for the
>rest of my life, but
>at some point you have
>to come to terms with
>reality and give yourself some
>value by learning some other
>skills. You seem like
>a bright young man, and
>a quality education sure would
>make your momma proud

+1

Best advice yet.

Cant imagine more than a handful of people actually making a "good" living hunting.
Dont forget once it becomes a job, most likely you will lose a lot of what you like about it.

Being sponsored is all about what you can do for the company.. How can you help them sell more gear... There are a ton of people out there that want to be sponsored and will sell there soul to say they are sponsored... I have had my run with companies before I sold my piece of bowcast and was ok but for me I always had an uneasy feeling being sponsored... I want to be able to shoot what I believe in and you are not always going to be picked up by companies whose gear you like or even trust...

Just keep archery fun... Pick up a side gig or maybe work in a bowshop for breaks on gear... People forget that the Industry is just that an Industry... People are trying to sell stuff and make money...

If you really want to be in the "Industry" start building your resume... Get some signature kills under your belt and win a few 3-D shoots... Also, you might want to develop some skills other than hunting... Maybe Filming? Web Development? Guiding? These skills might help you get in thru a side-door

Jason
www.TheNewMexcioSportsman.com

You have been given some really good advice by those people who have posted.

Here is the insight of someone who owns, produces, and hosts his own TV show.

Get your education and/or training taken care of, no matter what. Without a skill set, you are unemployable in the hunting industry, or any industry. Look at advanced education as a way to further your goal of getting into the hunting industry, not as a delay to your plans.

Like you, things were not that easy at my house. I was determined to go to college. To do that, I trapped beaver and bobcats to pay for tuition, along with working full hours on the graveyard shift at a sawmill. It was worth every bit of it.

That education, a degree in accounting, allowed me to get a good job in the business world. Eventually I owned two businesses and used those as a way to allow me to hunt more and eventually get into "the industry," whatever that is.

The hunting industry is way more competitive than the two other businesses I own. To succeed, you need to be more committed and better trained than most other lines of work. Lots of skilled and well-connected people share the same dream you do. It will come down to being more committed, smarter, and working harder than they do.

Reality is that you will not be sponsored at this time. You will be better served to work as much as you can, save your money for things that are important, DON'T GET INTO DEBT, and you will soon have more money for hunting gear than if you try to get sponsored.

Nice to have that dream. If you stick with it, you will accomplish the goal. Listen to those who have given you good advice. Develop a realistic plan and stick to it. Do not make stupid decisions in other parts of your life and your hunting future will be very bright.

Good luck in all you aspire to do.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom