Spot after Spot, NO Elk.

Abomb

Buddies and I have been scouting very hard in the Panhadle only to find VERY little elk sign. Finding only single elk tracks here and there. Very little velvet rub activity. We have found 12 wolf kills that are less than 1mo old. One was only a week or so. Saw the same thing happen in SW Montana just a few short years after they introduced them. PISSES me off. To top it all off there is a "Save the Wolf" gathering at the park in Coeur d'Alene. They are teaching how to release a trapped "dogs" from a trap/snare.

Archery/gun season is looking bleak around these parts. Talked to a F&G warden and they are still claiming tough winters. Idiots! Sorry guys just venting.

ah i c, thats farther north than im hunting but i wish i could hunt up there. the elk down here in 8a have been fairly scarce also

Maybe you should chat up some of the successful trappers from last year and plan to set a line this winter. I know that won't help fill your freezer but it might make you feel a little better.

Yes they are!! totally bs again. Talked to another guy last night who just came out of the cda river drainage after spending 8 days scouting. VERY few elk and very little sign. Youngish inshape guy who said he put on a ton of miles on his feet. He also noticed the very small groups, 2&3's. None of the typical 10+ groups. He found plenty of wolf sign and plans on setting up a trap line.

BPKhunter, done and done. Have traps ordered and have been practicing calling.

So "over the objective" that the cow elk hunt is now draw for unit 5 for the first time in years.
I really don't have a problem with protecting the cows but to think that they gave out 50 extra cow tags last December for 'crop damage' boggles the mind.

The way I see it, if these areas are over the objective and harvest opportunities are going away like the panhandle cow hunts, then the objective were too low and we need to set a higher standard.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom