Spot and Stalk for Utah Bear

xbow

Just wondering if anyone has some good info on any areas that would be good for a spot a stalk on a bear. I don't want to hunt over bait or behind dogs. That just not something that intrests me. Any info would be great.

Book Cliffs or Lasals but it will be tough. Hogle Zoo is a better option.

Yep, in the La Sals. I was up for the ML deer season in Oct. 2004 and saw one whooper and several other bears. I'm from AZ, and don't know how Utah's bear tags work. Ours are OTC.

draw tags here in Utah, and only about 230 or so of them. They have split the bear hunts up this year with some tags in the fall and others in the spring. Lots of those units don't have any out of state tags because there are fewer than ten available for resident hunters. Tags are tough to come by in Utah.

I'd recommmend La Sals or San Juan for a see and go shoot unit. The Book Cliffs has most of the tags handed out for spring, and whatever bears a guy sees there will be running ahead of a pack of hounds I'm afraid. I'm thinking between the pusuit guys and the killers they'll be plenty unhappy hounddoggers in the 'Books this spirng--a good place to stay out of. But good luck on the tag and let us know how you come out.

the ikester

Xbow,

My advice is get away from the roads and down in the big canyons for the best chance.

I know a few guys that have killed bears in the Book Cliffs without dogs or bait, just spot and stalk hunting.

But none of them were riding the roads when they did it. Go for a spring tag, find a canyon with water in it and NO ROADS, and go start glassing.

The strategy would be the same on the Lasals or the San Juan. Good luck, I know a few that have done it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom