Spot and stalk observation

GotBowAz

Very Active Member
Last week I hunted Coue?s deer and had probably the most fun bow hunting ever. I even got off one shot. Under guessed the yardage, left my darn range finder at home, Grrrr. Anyway what I wanted to share was that I had at least 2 stalks a day. One of the BIGGEST issues I had during these stalks was being patient and moving extremely slow and as quiet as I could. What I found out was that my balance isn't as good as I thought it might be and I seriously need to do some sort of practice to get better at rough terrain/rocks cactus etc. etc. to increase better stalking techniques. The slower I moved the worse it was, not the other way around. When I was trying to tip toe around dry grass, cactus or possible loose rocks and all on a side hill I found myself wavering back and forth trying to keep my balance as a snuck along. As a result that in fact did blow one stalk as my movement on my upper body was caught. I was quiet enough and slow enough, just wasn?t stealthy enough. The faster I move/walk the more balance I have. But then being quiet and not having that movement caught is a problem. This is just on observation on my part. Something now I need to practice in those conditions with. I'm curious to know if any others had had the same issue and have overcome them??

Im going back to the same area next week for 2 weeks to give it another go. This spot and stalk stuff is deep in my blood now and getting close to these spooky little deer is a blast all on its own accord. This time the range finder will not be left at home! LOL

GBA

Sounds like your getting old. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Crap, thats what it is!?! cant even remember to post it in the right spot. I was gonna blame it on how early it was...(got away with that once, wink wink), but I've been up for hours already. :(

GBA

You're probably not going to like what I have to say, but I have felt your pain for a few years now. Now days, I always use my telescopic Pole Cat to help me walk,(sneak). If I'm just scouting, or bow hunting, I use the single stick. When I'm hunting with a gun I always have the Pole Cat bipod in use. I know, it's just one more thing to carry along, but it gives you 3 legs instead of two and makes a HUGE difference. You can stop mid step if needed and hold still for much longer. It takes the pounding off the knees and transfers some of the work load to the upper body. I've taken some narrow strapping and adapted a shoulder sling for when I don't want to use it. Just give it a try once and see if it helps.

Hey Bucklover, thats a great idea! I will try it out next week and let you know it worked out for me. Only problem I can see is trying to put it away for an achery shot if I need to do so in a hurry.

GBA

Use the sling or one of those wrist straps to just hang it off your wrist.Try taking a few practice shots with it hanging off your trigger finger wrist. That will be the side you will be using the stick on. It shouldn't get in the way of your release. Or just lean it up against a bush or rock when "the moment" happens. Good luck! I hope it helps.

Put a blunt on one of you arrows. Use a different colored fletching so you don't try and shoot it at a buck. Counting coup on a Coues doesn't count.

If I am on the ground, I find myself using my b-stinger as a third foot. I give the weight a few wraps of electrical tape to give it some protection and quiet it down.

Good luck on your return hunt.

After trying to keep up with GBA for several days in 6A hunting elk this past September I can't imagine him trying to slow down enough to sneak up on anything, LOL! Just kidding buddy, and I hope to be "folllowing" you some more out in AZ in the near future. It was a blast in some cool new country---Thanks!!!

Get tested for MS, that is how i started loss of balance couldn't walk at night, no balance. Not to worry you but if it is MS and they catch it early, they can control it. If left untreated you will become totally unmobile, which I am now.

good way to get better balance is to stand on one foot for about 15 seconds and then awitch to the other side, keep doing that and you will improve your balance

Yesterday I missed what would have been my biggest mule deer at 27 yards. Mainly because of age and strength. I had forearm crawled about 100 yards up a slight gully just deep enough to keep me hidden from the bedded deer. I couldn't get up to my knees to shallow. I rested watching the deer till he stood and got a little nervous. I came up to my knees pulled back and my arms were still jello like. I shot right over his back.

I have decided its time to get back in the weight room. Until about 3 years ago I would have made the shot without a doubt. I watched him today and estimate he'll break 180. I have 3 days left but I doubt I'll find him in a area that will allow a stalk again. Age really stinks!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom