Spot and Stalk Observation

GotBowAz

Very Active Member
Oops, I meant to put this here and stuck it in the general.

Last week I hunted Coue?s deer and had probably the most fun bow hunting ever. I even got off one shot. Under guessed the yardage, left my darn range finder at home, Grrrr. Anyway what I wanted to share was that I had at least 2 stalks a day. One of the BIGGEST issues I had during these stalks was being patient and moving extremely slow and as quiet as I could. What I found out was that my balance isn't as good as I thought it might be and I seriously need to do some sort of practice to get better at rough terrain/rocks cactus etc. etc. to increase better stalking techniques. The slower I moved the worse it was, not the other way around. When I was trying to tip toe around dry grass, cactus or possible loose rocks and all on a side hill I found myself wavering back and forth trying to keep my balance as a snuck along. As a result that in fact did blow one stalk as my movement on my upper body was caught. I was quiet enough and slow enough, just wasn?t stealthy enough. The faster I move/walk the more balance I have. But then being quiet and not having that movement caught is a problem. This is just on observation on my part. Something now I need to practice in those conditions with. I'm curious to know if any others had had the same issue and have overcome them??

Im going back to the same area next week for 2 weeks to give it another go. This spot and stalk stuff is deep in my blood now and getting close to these spooky little deer is a blast all on its own accord. This time the range finder will not be left at home! LOL

GBA

GBA

You're probably not going to like what I have to say, but I have felt your pain for a few years now. Now days, I always use my telescopic Pole Cat to help me walk,(sneak). If I'm just scouting, or bow hunting, I use the single stick. When I'm hunting with a gun I always have the Pole Cat bipod in use. I know, it's just one more thing to carry along, but it gives you 3 legs instead of two and makes a HUGE difference. You can stop mid step if needed and hold still for much longer. It takes the pounding off the knees and transfers some of the work load to the upper body. I've taken some narrow strapping and adapted a shoulder sling for when I don't want to use it. Just give it a try once and see if it helps.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-11 AT 08:45AM (MST)[p]I will try it and thank you for the idea. It just might do the trick!

GBA

Use the sling or one of those wrist straps to just hang it off your wrist.Try taking a few practice shots with it hanging off your trigger finger wrist. That will be the side you will be using the stick on. It shouldn't get in the way of your release. Or just lean it up against a bush or rock when "the moment" happens. Good luck! I hope it helps.

I would say you need to work on your stabilizer muscles. Might try a yoga workout, or try balancing on curbs/rocks. While balancing on one foot bend over and touch the ground, try doing this by bending your knee and not bending your knee. You might find that these muscles don't get worked at all in daily activity. I bet that after doing this for 30 mins a day for a week you will be much more stable in the field. The Yoga workout in the P90X set really helped my balance.

GBA-Sounds like a lot of fun. You have to retool your brain...you're hunting coues, not elk. lol

A little late now but one thing that helps me estimate range is to find the half way point and estimate the yardage and double it and then compare that to what I initially thought the range was. It is easier for me to estimate closer yardages. I can estimate 20 very accuratly. I will also go half and see how close that is to 20 and adjust accordingly. My rf bit the dust in the middle of a hunt on me this year and I had to make a quick field evaluation on a good buck. I was able to call it right.

I'll throw this back up here, I sometimes use a blunt on an arrow to help stabilize myself. Be sure to use some different fletchings so you don't accidently shoot it at a buck. Counting coup on a Coues doesn't count.

I also use my b-stinger to stabilize myself on the ground. I wrap it with some electrical tape to protect it and keep it quiet.

Good luck on round two of your hunt!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-11 AT 04:38AM (MST)[p]Dingo, LOL, yes these little deer aren't much like elk that's for sure, but every stalk I'm getting closer and closer, and did I say these little deer are spooky/nervous little creature? Unbelievable tough to stalk but most stalks I was able to get within bow distance but for one reason or another the opportunity got blown. But this is seriously fun stuff to be sneaking in on them to even get that close. I usually hunt Coue?s out of tree stands. This area doesn't have trees. It used to be an awesome Javelina and Mule deer area some 15 years ago, but then a huge fire went through and brunt up the whole place for miles. So we stopped hunting it. I only glassed up 1 spike and 3 Doe Mule deer. The Coue?s have just taken over the whole place. Oh and no stinky pigs either.

I do believe you just gave me a great way to help in judging distance that I never gave a thought to. I'm very good at judging for 20 and 30 yards. Beyond that I pretty much stink. I always underestimate. Even at full draw I was thinking I should raise a little bit but once I had the pin on him it seemed right. I just barley went under his chest. This method of yours for field judging just might work for me if my RF isn't in the play. Thanks man!

A blunt on an arrow might just be the ticket I need. Just a little light touch to the ground as I'm trying to negotiate through rough and rocky terrain with sharp thorny stuff could be a big help. Slipping or losing my balance into a prickly pear cactus just does not sound like fun. I've come close a couple of times to hitting one with my leg as I was trying not to step on clinking rock while going around or in between a cactus. That may work out better than a walking stick of some type.

Not to sound too ignorant, what is a B-stinger?

Thanks guys, lots of good suggestions here.

GBA

B-stinger manufactures bow stabilizers. This is a pic of mine screwed straight into the bow. I usually have it configured with a quick disconnect.

7444my_bow_001.jpg

Ok, I see what you mean. I have a 13 inch Doinker I could do the same thing with. It just screws in a mile! ha ha ha LOL

Thanks!

GBA

I was having the same problem a couple years ago. It had to be a funny picture... me standing on the side of a hill with my feet planted and my upper body bending all over the place to keep balance. Even waved my arms a few times.

Spread your feet apart wider on the stalk. Thats what I did. Walk with your feet spread apart more so that when you need to stop in a funny position your base is wider. Pay attention to where you're putting your feet and make sure you're not putting them on the tops of rocks alot. I know, I like to stay on top of rocks too because is quieter but its alot less stable. Take your boots off too. You can feel the ground better when your boots are off and you will be much more mindful to stay off twigs and cactus. Your stalks will take longer because you'll have to pick your way through the stuff on the ground but you'll be quieter and have better balance. Oh and when you're stalking coues... take a grunt along with you. If they are rutting good, a grunt can get them in closer so you don't need to stalk in as far. Did it last year in 21. I brought a little buck into 30 from 150. Hit a twig and missed in the end but I got him in!

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

AZWALKER, good advice and yes, I can see your waving your arms to keep your balance because that's exactly what I had been doing. Ha ha ha, it has to be a funny sight indeed. I am also hunting 21 so I know you share my dilemma with the terrian. I will be bring the grunt tube along as the Coue?s rut is firing up hot now. I watched one big boy make a scrape but no real activity was noticed outside of that. I tried the grunt a few times, got a look in my direction and then ignored. I've had some good success with rattling and grunts on these little deer in the past so hopefully the stars will align in the next couple of weeks.

GBA

I've had the privelage of killing a couple bucks spot and stalk after many, many misses and missed opportunities. Patience is the key. I try to stalk within 60-100 yards and then wait for the bucks to make a mistake and chase a doe close. If I'm hunting in Aug or Sept, or a lone buck, I don't even attempt a stalk unless they bed in a spot that is to my liking. They are too sneaky and jumpy.

Good info btw, I noticed myself struggling with my balance trying to get past cactus in a quiet manner. Ha

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom