Spot And Stalk

R

Reflex_Shooter

I Am Fairly new to bowhunting and i have always wanted to try a spot and stalk. Does anyone have any info on the best way to do this. I will be hunting some pretty big bucks after i get them patterned and so if i dont intercept them i thought that i might try to stalk on them. the cover is thick thick cedars any info would be helpful.

The best way to learn is by do it. Practice sneaking up on does if you have some time you want to waste in the middle of the day.
To quite my steps I take my boots off when I get close to the animal and put on a double layer of wool socks. A good book to read is Dwight Schuh's "Hunting Open Country Mule Deer"

As BrianID said, "The best way to learn is by do it". Go out in the off-season as much as possible and practice. I've heard of people that say they've gotten close enough to touch the deer. I've never seen it and haven't done it myself, but I've stalked close enough to clearly see every individual hair and eyelash on 'em (10' or less). One thing I've learned, take your time. A bedded or feeding deer isn't going anywhere significant in awhile unless spooked. Slow movement and keeping cover between you and the deer plus moving silently and watching wind direction is key.

I guess it's fitting that I jump in on this. I agree with what the others have said. Experience counts for a lot. Also, along with watching the wind, moving slow, and keeping as much cover around you as possible, I would also suggest stalking in from behind or above the animal. In my experience, big deer will bed so they can see a clear path below them. I have had good luck sneaking in from behind, by watching landmarks and moving slow. I have used this technique after glassing feeding bucks in the morning and wathcing them bed.

There is nothing like practice. I like to watch them after they bed down to make sure they don't move. The sun will change position and sometimes make them move. I've had that happen before.

I like to make certain they are bedded for good then carefully plan my stalk. Make sure you pick out some landmarks because everything looks much different once you get closer to the deer.

Usually I'm uphill from them and like to wait for the thermals to come uphill, then stalk down into the wind.
Just take your time. Most of the time you will have as long as it takes to get close unless you get busted by other deer.

good luck and stay quiet

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-03 AT 10:25PM (MST)[p]Personally I've had a terrible time trying to put a stalk on bedded bucks. The better plan (so I've heard) would be to watch for a day or two and find the path they are using to get to the bedding area, then cut them off. I lack patience though, can't seem to leave a buck for tomorrow.

I got a pair of mocassins I'm gonna try out this year, seems easier than than the double wool socks I've been using.

I Know that mule deer arent easy to pattern but there has to be a way any sugestions?

It may depend on the area and the animals that you are hunting, but in my experience mule deer and elk will feed up in the morning and down in the evening. Some deer are even repetitive and will use close to the same trails if not bothered. I shot one buck that I had watched for a couple days doing this. I set up in the evening anticipating intercepting him as he was feeding down. He walked the same path he had the prior two days, exactly. Where I was positioned gave me great cover and less than a 15 yard shot. Slam Dunk! The great thing with these techniques is that you can hunt mule deer all day long.

Where i hunt it is thick thick cedars that you can hardly see through. There are some great bucks there some 30 inchers. but the problem is you see a glimps and maybe a 10 second look and thats all there gone. They go into these feilds late at night and leave befor light and so if i can get a mile in and wait i will have a chance. I personal think that i would have a better chance intercepting them then a spot and stalk.

If you can't spot them, it's tough to stalk. It sorta goes against the idea. I have hunted very thick areas for muleys and I know what you mean. Once those bucks slip into the timber they are long gone. The only success I have had in thick areas is pattern movement, find heavily used trails, water, etc. and then play the waiting game. That is almost your only chance. Still hunting is tough as well because very rarely do you see the buck before he sees you. You will always see big deer in these areas because they have a lot of advantages in their favor.

In Az. we have some great spot and stalk.Many times this time of year the doe will see you long before the buck knows you are even in the same county.I have had very good luck with stalking after they have bedded for the morning.Many times they will be in a spot that you can not see them till they stand up,after you make your stalk.This works great for me,I will draw my bow then say to the buck (Your dead) and most times he will stand up and give me the shot.The bucks are in rut here now and will follow the doe everywhere,I have called in the does with the buck right behind.

I Have Herd that calling mule deer doesnt work. Have you had a lot of success calling them in?

A couple friends and I have messed around with a deer call and had good luck calling in does. So it seems if you could get the does in during the rut you might have a decent chance of getting a buck to follow. Although I've never tried it during the rut.

I have very good luck with Eastman's deer call in Dec and Jan.I have called does from 500 yards and had the bucks came right along with them.Many times this time of year the bucks will come to see if it is a doe in heat.It has worked in AZ.NM.and Nev. for me.

I have recently used a fawn in distress mouth call, and started calling at 2 does, all the sudden 3 more does come in on the run. I'm sure you could get bucks to do the same. Keep in mind I got them withing 60 yds from a dirt road while hanging out the window of a jeep. (FYI the jeep is white, and there was snow all around.)

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome, right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Do you guys know of any archery hunts during the rut? In utah arizona or wyoming or nevada.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom