SPOT Connect - Droid/iPhone (Like Delorme PN60w)

EROCK1313

Hey Guys,

I had a previous post in which I asked if anyone used any of the GPS Apps for their Droid or iPhones and got some great responses (see Link below), but also found another cool way to utilize your phone's GPS.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID5/17663.html

In doing a little more research today to kill the Utah Winter/Springish boredom; I found that the SPOT Emergency Service a lot of people use, now has functionality to work with Droid / iPhones so that you can Send PERSONALIZED MESSAGES (up to 41 characters) to your groups AND Facebook / Twitter accounts etc. instead of just the pre-determined messages.

It works almost identically to the Delorme PN60w, but instead of paying $380 (Amazon.com)- $550 (Cabelas.com) you can get the SPOT Connect for up to $300 less versus the Delorme PN60w. All you need is the SPOT Connect ($130 -$170 with Google search).

This is a great alternative to use your phone as a Multi-Tasker (Phone, Camera/Video, Trail Camera Picture Viewer, GPS, SPOT Messenger/SARs, Calculator..ha ha) and maybe save a little weight / money on those deep back country hunting trips by utilizing ONE DEVICE instead of a few.

Just thought I would pass along the info on my find...

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116

>>-ERock-> ?

Can you set a Droid up to watch your regular trail cams & have that footage sent back to your PC?

These f'n Phones these days are everything but a good working phone!

"THIS IS THE USA WHERE PEOPLE GET PAID TO WATCH PEOPLE THAT ARE WATCHIN YOU"!

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

Ha...No kiddin Bobcat! I bet that guy from the thread the other day who made his Trail Cams transmit via Satellite has the hook up to do it!!

Now if I could just figure out how to get my Droid to have the bottle opener and skinner pop out from under that battery cover, I would have a tru Multi-Tool!

?-ERock-> ?

I have been using my Droid's GPS while hiking and it has been quite accurate, with ten feet was the best and thirty yards was the furthest it was off.. My wife got me the phone because I am always somewhere outdoors and that I am a diabtetic. The Phone has some medical apps that preety cool. I have actually used it to mark places where I have found sheds while hiking. I did find one app that is crazy cool for hunters...

Hey Arch, what cool Hunting App did you find?

And a Medical App...I might have to see if they have any that have First Aid or Survival info etc.

?-ERock-> ?

I saw that setup at the Outdoor Retail show. Pretty cool....and I like how you can send personal messages. The only downside I see on extended trips is have to make sure the phone is charged up as well. Phone dies and your done messaging. I have the SPOT and not sure I'd want to have to carry a phone along as well...just something else to put in the backpack.

I have to go back and look....I believe if the phone dies...you can still send the emergency signal if you get into trouble.

Very cool, thanks for sharing the info. I think that may just be a better option.....

one pet peeve I have (and it might just be me);

Droid= a phone made by motorola
Android = a multi-platform operating system

although the "droid" phone does run "android", the two terms are not the same thing.....it's like calling all cars with a hemi engine a hemicuda.....similar engine, different models.

when people ask "do you like your droid?" I say " I have an EVO running android, the droid phone sucks"

there's my technology soapbox for the day...

ya know, after reading this....I may just be a jerk....

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom