Spotting Scope dilemma

out4elk

OK not MUCH of a dilemma but I need some assistance from people with experience.

I originally put a Swaro ATS 65 HD on order for 08 pricing. My biggest reason for the 65 and not the 80 was bulkiness in my pack. I want a scope/tripod setup that was top notch but still wasn't awkward in my pack.

My wife bought me a stay on case for a 80mm scope for my B-day and told me that after talking with the dealer she feels I should buy the 80mm scope. I can get that scope at last years prices.

My question: How much of a difference am I going to notice packing around the 80 ATS over the 65 ATS? I know the wieght difference is only 8 oz but the size difference is noticable.

Thanks for the help guys.
?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

I bought the ATS 65 when they first came out because of the size and weight, after 2 deer hunts and pronghorn hunt I sold it and bought an STS 80, I don't regret it a bit. the 65 is ok in good light but in low light conditions I wasn't happy with it, the 80 is MUCH better. the size isn't that big of deal , with the Outdorsman tripod it all fits in my day pack just fine. I didn't care for the angled scope either but that's just personal preference.

I own a swarovski 80HD ATS and I love it. I also own a 60. I have packed both and the weight difference between the two is not noticable at all when you have a pack loaded with your gear. The size could be an issue although if you get a pack that has a pocket designed for a spotting scope, and the 80mm fits, I don't feel its that big of an issue. It does not bother me anyway. Hope this helps.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-08 AT 06:30PM (MST)[p]Thanks so far for the help.

I have always had straight spotting scopes but have used angled scopes of friends this past year and have really started to like them. I am a tall dude and like that I can sit down and look through a scope without raising it clear off the ground.

I have an Eberle J104 pack and it fits the scope/tripod assy real nicely

I was planning on getting the Outdoorsman medium tripod with the pistol grip head. Will the pistol grip be a bad choice with the bigger scope?

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

I own the AT 80 and have packed it all over. It is big, and the tri-pod is bigger. But I think it is well worth the weight to have it with me.

Out4elk, where are you getting your scope for last years price? I'm kinda in the market for a scope and if I can get one for last years price then I may buy it now instead of waiting until next year.

Thank you,

Slide

If you do a pistol grip, definately go with the outdoorsmans. I would suggest trying one out before dropping the coin on one. After trying one, I still prefer my small bogen ball head with quick release. I just bought a Outdoorsmans medium tripod to go along with it.
As for the spotters, go to Cabelas at dusk and they will take you outside and compare both scopes. I did it and to me, the 65 seemed to gather equal light as the 80. I have heard different opinions(Thats just my eyes)

I have a different opinion.

I have a Swarvo 80 HD, and while I love the crisp, clear view all the way to dark, I do not like the weight/bulk of the scope in regards to packing. I leave it in my truck or jeep now for viewing from the low country.

I have since bought a Brunton ED 50 Compact for my pack. I guess it all depends on how long/far/high you will be packing the scope.

If I were to have one scope, it would be the Swarvo 65.

Ed

47bc9b3c1142b617.jpg

I currently have the 80 and would purchase the 65 next time. To big and bulky as well as heavy for the backpack. I don't want to purchase another one for the backpack and leave this one in the truck as others do. Just my opinion.

This last year I first purchased the 85mm Zeiss, which I took back due to the blurry edges, then I purchased the 65mm Swaro HD. Now I much prefer the Swaro, but I will say I didn't see enough low light difference on the 85mm to warrant the big glass. On the Swaro your options are 65mm or 80mm, which if you use the 20-40x eye piece, at the lowest power only gives you 3.25 or 4.0 mm exit pupit, which really isn't enough anyway. My thought has been for lowlight I might look at a lower power fixed eyepiece for that first and last half hour of the day.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom