Spotting Scope for Backpack Hunting

wooduckman

For those that backpack in for multiple night hunts, are you carrying a 50mm or 65mm objective spotting scope? I'm looking at picking up a new spotter, but am trying weigh the pros and cons of both. Obviously the weight is my concern with the 65mm scope, however the low light transmission through the larger objective would be a big benefit. Just curious as to what others are running and what thoughts are.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-16 AT 12:00PM (MST)[p]I am using the razor 65mm for backpacking. it is a great scope and I think is the best all around back pack scope. I have the badlands 2200 back pack and it fits in the spotting scope pouch, anything bigger and they would not fit, also it depends on the country you are in and how far you are wanting to spot. for me the 65mm fits my needs better

16-48x65 48.4 oz
11-33x50 25.0 oz

that is for the vortex razor the 65 is almost double the weight. which could be a big deal if you are trying to keep under a certain weight.

I would recommend finding someone that would let you use for a couple hours and test it out see if will work for you.

I use a Swarovski 65 Straight. Not the HD model though. Mine scope is older.

Camera Land is a great place to buy. Call Doug, he can usually match or beat prices you find anywhere else.

I've never used a smaller scope on my backpack trips, so I don't know if the weight savings is worth it. That Vortex scope might be the way to go. I've never had the chance to compare the two scopes in low light. A buddy of mine uses that Vortex scope and has been happy.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook!

I love the Kowa 600 series for backpacking. very very light, small, and great glass.
The price is better than the other high end spotters also.

I have the old Leupold gold ring 25x50 spotting scope I pack and it is small and light and still clear as a bell. I love this little scope.

For backcountry hunts I use a Nikon ED50 and really like it. I also have a 65mm Vortex Razor but like the small, compact 50mm while packing in. Combine it with an Outdoorsman tripod and in my opinion, is a pretty solid set-up.

I had an ED 50 but sold it for the Vortex Razor HD 65mm. Yeah. The extra weight sucks but I think its worth it in the long run.

Thanks guys. I've looked at pretty much all the options you've listed and have read good things about all of them. I'm going to try and run to Cabela's and see what they have in stock just so I can get my hands on a few of them and see/feel the difference firsthand before I make a decision.

"just so I can get my hands on a few of them and see/feel the difference firsthand before I make a decision."

Always a wise choice, if you have the luxury of doing so. I like my ED50, particularly with the 16x and 27x wide angle eye pieces.

I just bought a swaro HD 65 w/ the wide angle eyepiece.....I'm SO excited to put this to use!!!.....well worth the weight IMO. If your going to go to the trouble of hiking several miles into the backcountry you need the tools to help get the job done! I guess that's one of the challenges of backpack hunting.....prioritizing what you take. Being limited in your ability to cover country (with your optics rather than your legs) would suck, but every ounce of weight counts when it's hanging off your back too.....less is always best, but at what cost??.....very good topic.

I use a swaro hd 80. My buddy has the swaro 65. For deer hunting I will go with the 80 every time. Elk it doesn't matter as much

I'm in with the Swaro 65 straight HD. But I used to have a Leica 62. And I also have an old Leupold 20X. The Leupold is really light and small, but the optics are just so much better with the new Swaro. It's always a balance between weight and quality optics. And those scopes get heavier ever year I get older!

I recently found myself in this exact quandary. I had a Nikon 50mm scope that I used for years and while it was a good scope It did have its limits. The higher magnifications weren't very useable due to clarity so glassing effectively at distances beyond 1,000 into shadows was tough. I recently upgraded to a swaro 65mm straight and so far I really like the scope. Is it heavier Yes, but it is worth the extra weight when it comes to performance. I have not used the Vortex razor 65mm but it may be a good choice for around $1000. I guess I done all that rambling to say for me Id carry the extra weight of the 65mm for the added performance and try to cut the weight somewhere else.

I have a Leupold 15-30x50mm compact that I use for hunting and backpacking. I really like it and it costs less than $400.00

There's always next year

I'm of the mind that any decent spotting scope is way better to have along than no spotting scope. When out of school and getting serious about out of state muley hunts, i had been advised by a experienced mentor to get one. I didn't really shop around much, purchased a Bushnell Spacemaster with a variable lens and it soon became one of mt most go to pieces of hunting equipment. That thing saved me untold miles in not having to hike miles closer to see if a group of deer or individual buck was worth closer evaluation.

That Spacemaster hunted with me from about 1977 until three years ago when i replaced it with another Spacemaster. The old faithful one still works, the new one is a bit clearer. It's what i felt i could afford, heck of a lot better than not having one at all.

Joey

Keep your slimy Paws Off My, Yours, Our,.. Public Land!!!

Sage advice by Sageadvice. The rule to buy as good as you can afford stands, but don't overextend either. My first $35 binoculars lead me find more game in one season than I'd seen over several prior. Now I have a alpha binos, but those cheap ones (several pair) did me good by them, when that was the best I could do. I've no illusion my 80 mm Vortex Nomad or Nikon 50 ed are of the same quality as the alpha glass, but they've both helped me see and measure up a lot of animals...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom