Spotting scope for elk?

270Whatelse

Just wondering who uses a spotting scope for elk rifle season? Living in the Midwest we don't have a need for them but was just wondering if you guys use them hunting or if binoculars are good enough. Was thinking of renting a pair of Swarovskis with a tripod just don't know if they would just be something else I would leave at camp after the first day because I didn't want to lug around the extra weight. So who brings them with every day and who leaves them in the truck???

You'll need a spotting scope. I don't go anywhere without one. You also need a decent tripod. A quality spotting scope saves you more steps and enables you to make better decisions than any other hunting tool. Get the best you can afford and consider it a lifetime investment.

Depends on the area you hunt and how well you know it. If you can find a vantage spot to glass numerous drainage systems or open areas from, absolutely get one. Elk will move a lot and not be where you saw them yesterday. Some areas you can glass for 2-3 miles away when elk are out only a few minutes after light, binos won't do any good.

LAST EDITED ON May-30-16 AT 05:34PM (MST)[p]
Like soj says it kinda depends on the area. We base camp 3.5 miles from where we hunt a week before season, it's fun to pull it out in the late afternoon and watch the elk come out of the trees, gets everybody in camp excited. But I leave it at base camp Friday as we're spiked in the trees and hunt in the trees and my mini binos are plenty. Comin from the Midwest and maybe not being familiar with the country you'll be huntin I'd bring one. If you need it, you'll have it and if not, it can stay in the truck. You've probably posted it already but what unit will you be huntin? Found it. Yep, I'd bring one. Good luck! That's gonna be a fun hunt for you and yer dad. Horses?

Just the others have said.....all depends on how you're hunting.....If I'm chasing bugles spotter stays in camp......If elk are not talking then I will use spotter to find them.....

Depends on if you're archery hunting or rifle hunting and If you're looking for a 400" incher and don't want to waste your time with a measly 370" bull. Nothing is worse than hiking a couple miles across a few canyons to find out a bull is too small for you to waste your time with.
If I'm archery hunting I typically don't bother with a spotter, I'll chase any bull anywhere if he looks decent through my binos. I'll get close enough with a bow that I can tell if I really want to shoot him.
With a rifle on a trophy hunt I'll usually pack a spotter.

I elk hunt open country so spotter plus tripod is a must. I also go back and forth between my spotter and binos. If you are picky a spotting scope may save you miles of hiking trying to field judge bulls. I often use a spotting scope to find an ear, nose, tine, at long range. I don't think that would be possible with large binos?

I hunt the thick timber and farthest I can see is 100 yards, so I don't even carry binocs half the time. So carrying a spotting scope is simply ridiculous for me in my normal unit here in CO.

However a couple hunts in UT my dad and I have had a spotting scope is VERY helpful! Especially if you are looking for a certain scoring rack.

Just don't get sucked into the trap of you not being able to shoot an elk without a spotting scope. They have their advantages but think of how many elk have been killed with out their use...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

last year I bought one, "vortex razor" awesome spotter , when it came to hunting time , it turn into extra baggage , in the end I used vortex viper binos . It all depends how much you want in your pack. If I was scouting I wouldn't leave without it. If your going after scoring throw my info. out, I wasn't after a monster just yet. Hope this helps

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-16 AT 04:08PM (MST)[p]I carry a spotter with me all the time, probably one of my most vital pieces of equipment when hunting out west. I'm a big fan glassing not of timber whacking... But I sure appreciate the guys that do push the timber because they have allowed me to kill a lot of elk over the past number of years ;)

Coloradoboy

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom