Spotting Scope Necessary?

locofife

Howdy all,
How necessary is a spotting scope to your hunting? Do you usually use it to find animals, or to try to count all the points to see if the buck you're looking at is big enough for you? Do you usually use your binoculars for most of your glassing? I ask because I have a relatively good pair of binoculars, but no spotting scope and am going on a late deer hunt in Idaho in about 2 weeks. I would like to get a good sized animal, but won't be extremely picky. I don't imagine I'll draw again in the near future and would like to make the most out of my hunt. Is it worth it to drop the money on a spotting scope, or should I be able to find the animals fine with my binos? Thanks in advance for any responses.

I THINK THAT IF YOU WANT TO HUNT AND HARVEST A GOOD ANIMAL YOU NEED A SPOTING SCOPE. YOU CAN FIND AND SEE DEER THAT A NORMAL GUY WITH A GOOD PAIR OF BINOS WOULD NEVER SEE. WHAT PART OF IDAHO IS YOUR HUNT IN?

If you are in open country a scope will make things alot easier. Don't you have any buddies that have one they would let you borrow if this is going to be a one time deal for ya?

I carry a spotting scope ALL the time while hunting big game. I love to watch animals from a long way away. It can save you a lot of walking if you are interested in killing a certain size animal because you can evaluate them much better. However, be aware, you will see a lot less 30 inchers with a spotting scope than without it. Why? Because most of the 30 inch mule deer (or 380 elk, or 180 rams or whatever they are) turn out to not be so big when you can actually see them. If you jump a buck and he runs off and looks huge to you with the naked eye or your binoculars he might turn out to be a so-so animal if you can evaluate him from a distance at 30 or 40 power (or in hand after you shoot him). Not always the case but I get a kick out the guys that tell me they see 180 desert rams or 200 inch muleys all the time. There are so few of that class animal out there but if you don't have a spotting scope you will never know for sure. Of course I'm being a little sarcastic here when I say you will see less big animals but it is true to an extent. Having good optics will sort out the men from the boys or the BS from the truth or whatever you want to call it. Take it or leave it, it's true. You will have a lot less ground shrinkage if you actually know what you are shooting.

Now, to answer your question, do YOU need one? It's up to you. A lot of guys don't know what to do with them. Some places don't lend themselves to using them effectively. I think Bigsack is right, see if you can borrow one. You will either love it and go buy one or you might decide you don't need it.

locofife,
I know where you're coming from here. I also have a great pair of binoculars, but I will admit that at times I wish that I had a good spotting scope to put to use. I am sure that by next year, I will have one. I do agree with what the others have said about the use of a scope, it could definately save you some needless walking. Scott

Unfortunately, most of my friends don't hunt so borrowing one from a buddy might be difficult, but I'll see what I can round up. Hopefully I can get a hold of something. Thanks for all of your responses.

For me a spotting scope let's me actively search for animals longer each day. I can glass up a buck with my nocs at let's say 1/2 a mile. I can put my spotting scope on him and determine if he is worth a closer look or continue glassing with my noc's. Without a spotter you will have to pack up yor gear and close the distance. This takes time away from glassing. To me a spotter is mandatory.

I never go hunting without one. If you are looking to harvest a certain caliber of buck or bull you need one. Let your eyes do the walking is my motto.

Mike

I too carry a spotter on most of my hunts eventhough I have 15x56 Swarovski's ---I have 3 spotters---one is a burris 20x50 that came as a pkg with a scope(I haven't used it yet as it's not big enough optically IMO, but it is light and compact), I also have a Leupold 12x40x60 which I have had for many years and this year I bought and used a Nikon 20x60x80 Prostaff model---why you ask do I need a spotter when I have those big binos--well as described above if you can't discern the quality of the animal then you're hiking and then it's not always what you think it may be when you get close enough to finally judge the critter correctly and you've wasted valuable time hiking----I love those Swaro's as they do a great job, but for getting down to really judging when things are out there you need a spotter and the bigger the optics the better IMO(maybe my eyes are going though)---I do like my Leupold, as it's light and compact, but every year for the last few years I've always looked for something bigger when I get back from my annual out of state jaunt, although they are good they just aren't big enough to really reach out there and make a good assessment of what you're looking at, so this year I opted to go bigger and the NIKON won out due to its optic size and price---it's a long bugger though, but still I like it--if I had the $$$ a Swarovski is what I would've bought I think, but I'm not sure it's worth $1200 to $1800 more than this Nikon----again it's up to you, but I say go big optically, at least 60 power and 80mm objective is my advice and make sure the warranty is adequate---good luck---chris

I am with ya Chris, I carry 10x42 Swaro's and use a Leica televid 77 to make out the fine details, this scope is heavy as he11 but sure is nice when your looking at a buck a 1/4 mile away in bad light. Big scopes bring out the fine details and save you valuable hunting time.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-06 AT 01:23PM (MST)[p]What do you guys think of the Alpen 20-60X80? I have heard good thinngs about them for the price. (Good warranty, clear glass, camera friendly). Anyone have any field experience with one?

Mike Henne

I think good binos and spotting scope are a huge asset. I have swarovski slc 10x42 and sts 20-60x80. I find myself doing a lot of glassing during the middle of the day with my spotting scope, lookin for bedded bucks, tips of antlers... like everyone else said, a good spotting scope will save you a lot of walking and wasted time.

Mike,

I have had some experience with alpen optics, I used a 15-45X60 and I wasn't to impressed, even though I think it was only $150. It didn't focus well and it was horible durring low light conditions.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom