spotting scopes

joebobhunter4

what is a good spotting scope??? like zoom and all the stuff like how do you tell if its good or not? and whats a good brand... im looking for a good one that wont break the bank... any ideas? or any websites to some and prices would be good too

Doug from Camera Land is usually around and is amazing to work with. He will probably reply and/or holler at him at 1-866-9optics He has great prices!!

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.

It would be my pleasure to assist you, however, I need some more information.... Small size for packing? Larger tube for extra brightness? What budget would you like to stay in? New or is a demo acceptable?
Please feel to give me a call to go over different options.

If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
212-753-5128
[email protected]

Speaking of doug, Doug I emailed you a few days ago asking about the Leica Geovids, I believe it has been a few weeks now. Never got a response.

T

I too am considering purchasing a new spotting scope this year. I cannot afford to drop $2,000 on a new Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski. I am looking to spend between $300 and $700, and hope that I can get a good scope for that price. So far I have looked at the following brands: Cabelas, Leupold, Nikon and Bausch and Lomb. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do you own any of these brands? Is there another brand that I should consider? Thanks.

Hawkeye

hawkeye

I hear good things about the NIKON Sky and Earth spotter.
I think it runs around 300.

Nikon and Minox both have spotting scopes with the ED glass that are top quality and will not break the bank. If you would like more info email me and I will be glad to help you out.

The best three choices, IMHO, in that price range is Nikon, Pentax and Minox.
Please feel free to call me to discuss options

Doug
Camera Land
212-753-5128
[email protected]

I bought a Nikon 15-45 X 60 in 2003 from Cabelas for around $400. It came as a kit with a tripod, window mount and soft case. This is the first spotting scope I ever had and I have been satisfied with it. At the time, I was big on buying everything from Cabelas but I am now convinced you can shop around and beat their prices by a considerable amount. I guess the real answer to your question is how much are you going to use the spotting scope. I use mine about 6-8 days a year and the rest of time it sits on the shelf. Therefore, I am satisfied with a $400 spotter. If you live in the west or can get out and use it a lot, you may want to consider spending more money because you get what you pay for when buying optics. If you can get to a Cabelas or Sportsman's warehouse or that type of store, definitely go and compare the different brands side by side. Everyone's eyes work a little differently so you should buy what works for you, When I compared binoculars this way I was amazed at the difference in brightness and clarity in $500 binoculars.

Tim
Searchin' for a 4 X 4

Has anyone used Leupold's Sequoia spotting scopes? Price seems good. If they are like the Wind River binocs, would be worth the price for those of us who are $$$ limited.

Phantom Hunter

What about Kowa? They may be in the $600 range when you add the eye piece, but they were not mentioned in the lists above. Can a guy get just as good optics / warranty with a $450 Nikon Spotter XL II or a Earth and Sky?

I personally am looking for packability in rough deer country in Colorado... so it has to work to pick out those small-ish creatures (compared to elk) from a long ways away to determine if it is worth a stalk.

I know the Spotter XL is very packable, but I have read one or two complaints with it too. That's why I'm open to other recommendations as well.

Steve

I just ordered a scope after researching for months. Besides the ones listed above (and Kowa!), I read good reviews on Celestron scopes. Never looked through them myself but I think their 80mm ED scope is around $500 and has a lifetime No Fault warranty. Worth checking into anyways.

I'm with you phantom. I have the Wind River binocs and love 'em. Was wondering about that Sequoia too. Bid on one today on ebay.

the Nikon EDs are very, very good for the money. They make an 82 ED and a 60 ED. They also just came out with a 15X - 30X - 50mm that was awarded the Outdoor Life best buy award. Looks like a great little compact scope. I personally need and use more than 30X power. CB

I love my 12x40x60 leupold gold ring spoting scope. It is not overly bulky, great optics and a warrenty that is second to none. They never ask questions and fix them and send them back fast. I'm very hard on my optics. I fell on my scope in elk season and lost the gases. sent it back on monday got a brand new updated scope on friday at no cost. Also If you look on ebay you can normally get any scope for 100-300 dollars cheaper so you can get a better scope for your money.

what is a good tripod for backpacking? I have seen some good ones but most are very heavy. Any suggestions?
thanks
tom
I have a 12x40x60 gr as well

>what is a good tripod for
>backpacking? I have seen
>some good ones but most
>are very heavy. Any
>suggestions?
>thanks
>tom

Tom,
Check out the Velbon Lux i F. Great tripod with head @ $119.99 with a case

Doug
Camera Land
212-753-5128
[email protected]

Get your digital pictures professionally printed by Camera Land and then shipped back to you @ http://www.cameralandny.com/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom