spotting scopes

Powder

I was looking at buying a more compact spotting scope but wasn't sure if the quality was as good as the larger ones. I'd like to get something that is a little lighter and easier to carry around but am not sure if I'd be sacrificing too much quality for a few less ounces. Anyone have any experience with these types of spotting scopes? Any and all help would be appreciated.

What do you have now? 80mm?
I just bought a Minox 62mm with ED glass. Hope to get it this week. Sportsmans Guide has a smoking deal on them right now, 499$ with the 20-45X eye piece!!! That is less than anyone else had it without the eye piece that cost another 150$
Something to look at for starters.

Have you ever looked through the Minox spotter? Just curious, because you're right this looks like a good deal. Keep us posted on how you like it once it arrives.

I should probably have been more clear. I'm going to be hunting in the badlands (ND) this year for the first time and do not have a spotting scope. What would be a good, relatively inexpensive model to get? Also, would the compact style be a good option or should I stick with a normal size?

I haven't looked through one yet, going by what others have said on message boards and from a freind that has one personnaly. Most guys say this is one othe the best buys in the under 1000$ bracket. light and compact as well with a real nice soft case that can stay on while in use. I have also found out that is Japanese made or assembled, not sure what one but it is marketed like german glass and may.
My biggest concern is the variable eye piece VS the fixed power for sharpness. Anyone comment on this?

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-05 AT 02:34PM (MST)[p]Compact for sure if you are doing any back pack type of hunting. Look up the Minox, it is only 12 inches long and 32 oz. That can fit nice in a daypack as well. the 80mm scopes start to get big and heavy.
I was looking for a while and always was considering the minox from what i have read but when i saw the price SG was offering i dove in. I was leary that the price was without the eye piece but confirmed it was with it. They had 10 left when i ordered mine on monday, so do not wait too long. Last time they had a sale like this on Fujinon rifle scopes they sold out in a hurry from guys buying them and selling them on Ebay for profit. One in a while SG does have some killer deals, but mostly i think thier main product line is cheap junk optics like BSA and Barska. I also bought a pair of Steiner mini binos there for a pretty good price as well a few months back.
Make sure you ask to join the buyers club before purchasing to get the 100$ discount on the scope if you do buy it.

got the spotter today. Not at all bad. Although I now remember why I bought the Doctor 15X60 binos. Anything less than a mile away the doctors kick ass all over the spotting scope. The brightness and definition and field of view cannot be beat. Maybe a 80mm scope can beat them but not a 62mm scope. After a mile the spotter only starts to have an edge. Spotter was compared at 20X to the doctors 15X. Oh well, I will see what the spotter weighs after I find a tripod that is light enough to make it better than carrying the 4lb doctors.

just bought a burris landmark. like it lot. only 200 dollars. wanted a swavarski but to expensive.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom