Spotting Scopes

M

msgalovich

Does anyone have a take on the Nikon Fieldscope III ED in 82mm. Lucky enough to draw again this year in Unit 33, and need some long range glass. Learned last year that I need a good spotting scope, but do not use one enough to justify the price of the Swaro or Zeiss.

Look up predatoroptics.com! I just ordered a 15x45x60 Theron. supposed to be really good for the money. Will post how good after my unit 17 elk tag 3rd week.
Cause I don't have Swaro and Zeiss money either!

I have Alpen 735 15x45x60,excellent spotter for $.I mostly use my 10x50 Alpen binos. I've heard great things of the Nikons,but if your hiking and packing the 82 is a little heavy.Can't afford the Swaros or Ziess either.

I went with a Kowa 60mm with the ED glass and have been quite happy with it. Bird watching sites were giving them good reviews at the time and cost was considerably less than swaro/zeiss

Not all who wander are lost!

Buy the best you can afford!! You might be thinking it some thing you won't use a lot, and with a cheap scope your right! Purchase a descent one, nikon, vortex, minox, pentax, kowa and it will become an essential piece of equipment! I like the 80 mm scopes for better glassing in low light but they weigh more.

I just call em as I see em!

For the money you should strongly consider the Vortex HD. It is an awesome scope! CameraLand is a site sponsor & they have good prices & service.

I am very happy with mine.

"Windage & Elevation Pilgrim, Windage & Elevation"

I have spent so much time looking through scopes that I am ready to get some "outside" opinions. The only glass I have not looked through is the Vortex, but I do not particularly like angled scopes, so there is that as well. Not settled yet on the 80 mm yet but sure do like all the light gathering they provide. Main reason for not wanting to spend the money on the Swaro and Zeiss is the "money to use ratio". I have a pair of Swaro SLC 10x50's that I use constantly, but just cant see spending the 2500 or so for the scope as well. I mean lets be honest you can only look through one or the other at a time. Does anyone like or dislike the Leupold Gold Ring Spotter. And what about the 60 v 80 mm debate. Leaning towards the 80 simply because most of the use will be from truck, at the range, etc...not alot of hiking or back country packing like some of you do, but does it make that big of a difference.

have you ever tried ebay? My leica spotting scope burned in a fire a couple years ago and I bought a used swarovski on ebay for under $900. It was in mint condition. At that time(about a year ago), the used swarovski,leica,zeiss were bringing 900-1400 on ebay - haven't looked lately though. i don't know what any of those brands ya have mentioned cost, but i would rather have used glass of one of the big 3 anytime if the price is right

right now there is a Leica televid 77 for $1250 on ebay, swarovski st80 for $535 (current high bid), and a zeiss 85tfl for $1150. I am an eye doctor and in the optics industry and the quality of glass in my opinion has not changed much in the last 8-10 years. Most of our optics in the office are zeiss and not much has changed in a while. I've noticed the same when comparing new spotting scopes to ones that are a few years old, not enough difference to pay $2500 for new versus $1000 for used glass. Also, most people that are selling these scopes on ebay are birders that have taken extremely good care of them. Hope that helps.

I use the Gold Ring 12-40x60 spotter, and imo, it's the best overall spotter you can have. Very light and compact for packing. Also with 12 power, you can really cover the hills with the lower power. Zero eye-fatigue for extended hours of use. I also use a Swaro spotter and and a Zeiss HD Spotter, and yes they do provide a clearer image, but are a lot more bulkier and get left on window mounts for truck use only. The eyepiece on the Leupold is very large, which I really like.

I have a Burris Signature Series 20 power that I am pretty happy with. I would like it to gather more light than it does. In low light situations, I find that my Binoculars are almost better for that reason. If you have good light, it works very well.

prdatoroptics is the way to go the guy that owns the company was at my house a couple of weeks ago and we compared his scopes to my nikon field scope and the difference was amazing. we were looking at sheep 5.5 miles away (acording to google earth) and could score the band of rams from my front porch. i was impressed

+1 FOR THE HIGH END GLASS.I SPRUNG FOR A SWAROVSKI 65MM
WITH THE 20-60 X EYE PIECE AT THE CABELA'S STORE IN LA. - IT WAS A RETURNED MODEL WITH THE ANGLED EYE PIECE (NOT HD) AND WAS ON A
SIDEWALK CLEARANCE TABLE WITH AN ADDITIONAL 15% OFF! PAID $1080.00 PLUS TAX. I CALLED MY BROTHER AND ASKED HIM TO TALK ME INTO THIS PERCHASE! HE POINTED OUT THAT DIGI-SCOPEING WOULD BE ANOTHER USE AND ASKED IF I EVER REGRETTED BUYING ANY QUALITY BINO'S OR RIFLE SCOPES IN THE PAST? I HAD TO ADMIT THE PRODUCTS THAT I PURCHASED ARE WORTH THE COINS IN ALMOST EVERY CASE.
THE WARRANTY CARD WAS STILL IN THE BOX! IT WOULD NOT MATTER TO ME IF IT WAS A ZEISS, OR A LEICA - THESE HIGH END SCOPES ARE THE BOMB! KEEP AN EYE PEELED FOR A BARGAN OR GO HALVES
WITH A GOOD FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER AND SHARE THE COST. TAKE CARE
OF THE UNIT AND LEAVE IT TO YOUR SON WHEN YOU PASS!

DURRING THE OFF SEASON TRY A DIGITAL CAMERA AND SEE WHAT RESULTS YOU CAN HAVE WITH LONG RANGE PHOTOGRAPHY. ON ANY SUNDAY DRIVE YOU MAY SPOT THE BUCK,BULL, OR RAM OF A LIFE TIME! THEN DIAL HIM IN AND SNAP HIS PICTURE! WAY COOL!

+1 for Kowa.

My brother-in-law was in a similar boat as you. He just doesn't use a spotting scope enough to justify the price of the ultra-high end models.

He got the Kowa 66mm XD, but the 66mm non-HD and 60mm are both great scopes, especially for the money. You can get any of them in either angled or straight.

The smaller objective lenses don't allow as much light as the 80mm scopes, but they can be half the weight and much less expensive. You'll just have to decide which trade-offs you're willing to handle.

Call the Outdoorsmans, a sponsor of this site. They have the Kowa 60mm for $810, the 66mm for $925, and the 66mm XD for $1340.

Good luck!

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
www.westernhuntermagazine.net
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete
www.wildernessathlete.com

Anyone care to comment on the Minox 62 ED? It falls into that sub-$1000 category. They don't look quite as "sturdy" for field use, but I have read some good things. Cameraland has the demo units in the regular and ED versions. Don't know how much variation there will be in the regular vs ED. Also, have read that the 21-42LER eyepiece is the best. Thanks for any input.

I once had the leupold gold ring. The ocular lense was tiny and the focus ring was so difficult to turn it made impossible to stay on target and focus on it. I since purchsed the Zeiss 65mm.At one point I wondered if I had made a mistake by not purchasing the 85mm until I borrowed one.Although you have a greater zoom capability with the 85mm, heatwaves and light gathering abilties become a problem. In my opinion,the reason for a greater magnification is the ability to scrutinize objects at a father range, but what's the point if the image becomes too dark to see clearly,not to mention the heatwaves which can distort images even on a mildly warm day.
I say if you cannot afford a new Zeiss or Lieca, look for a used one. Besides, their resale value are above the rest.My brother picked up a demo Leica from Cameraland a few years back for a great price.
I was fortunate enough to purchase my Zeiss when they were "only" $1500 with the eye piece. Since then they have dramatically increase in price, which I'm not sure why. I did see they have different eye pieces, but $2500? Ouch! Find a used one and you will. Never regret it

I bought the Minox demo from Cameraland and I am very pleased with it for the money. I would recommend it to someone not wanting to spend over $1000 for a spotter.

If your on budget especially after buying Swaro binos look into the Redfield Rampage its made by Leupold. Leupold is trying to prove a point with purchasing the Redfield brand!!

Optic tip: Buy from a store that has a generous return policy in case you go on your hunt and dont like its preformance you can return it.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom