Staining antlers

deepforks

I've got 6pt that my great uncle killed years ago and I'm wanting to get them lightly stained and mounted on a nice plaque. they are hard horned but pretty dang white. any suggestions on a treasure valley taxidermist? I'd try it myself, but already know what the result would be. lol!! thanks in advance!

Buy a re-coloring kit from Wild Antler Magic - you can find where to order by googling Wild Antler magic. It's very easy and there is a video to help. The kit cost $35.00. My son found an 80 inch Mule Deer shed that was probably 2 - 3 years old this spring. I filled in the cracks and used WAM and the antler looks very very good.

Good Luck !

Follow your gut, and have someone that knows what they're doing, do it right, or practice on another antler, that doesn't have sentimental attached to it.

I've stained antlers with shoe polish and it's worked great. I've even had one antler get bleached or H2O2'd and shoe polish has matched the other antler so well nobody can tell.

I highly recommend the WAM as well. Looks way more natural( because it is) than any paint or stain. Brings out the natural grain of the antlers. You will be impressed with the results. The process is quite messy, though.

You could also use a combination of dirt and assorted brush, wood chips, etc. Try it on a shed or two first to see if you like it. Make mud with it and start rubbing! Rub it into the antlers until they are completely covered, then rub off with a brush after they dry. I use a fine wire brush in either copper or steel.

Once you have it all cleaned off, spray with a clear coat. Krylon Crystal Clear in the Satin or Matte finish works best. Like I said, experiment first with a couple of sheds. Pretty sure you'll like the results.

pitch & dirt. thin the pitch with lacquer thinner, brush on, sprinkle dirt of desired color. then rub like the deer/elk would on trees & bushes. don't like the result, rub with lacquer thinner on rag & redo.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom