Staining Antlers

soupcreek

This is a nice whitetail buck (about 165-170 gross) that I would like to restore. I really like the heavy horns and the unique extras he has on his left side. I think that Browtine has a good formula for restoring bleached antlers that are NOT cracked. Although they are not coming apart there is a chalkyness to these. Does anyone have any successful ways to restore a nice color to antlers that have deteriorated this far?
Thanks,
Soup
498cce892d585da2.jpg

498ccead2df272d8.jpg

498cced22e8058b6.jpg

498ccefc2f5b72d8.jpg

498ccf2f31e6552d.jpg

498ccf5a329a11f2.jpg

498ccf87334a74a8.jpg

498cd06637ce14f9.jpg

Potassium permagenate. It looks like gunpowder, mix with a small amount of water. It goes on purple but dries brown, apply several times until you get the desired color. Afterwards I would apply furniture oil.

Montana. I went with my father to a landowner's house to get permission to hunt. While my father was talking to the landowner, I was admiring all the piles of huge sheds laying around the yard. I saw the thickness on one of the antler's of this buck and wanted a closer look, so I pulled it out of the pile. It was (obviously) connected to the skull. After staring at it in awe for a couple minutes, I looked at the landowner and asked if she ever sold any of the sheds or skulls. She looked at me and said, "Oh, just take it." I knew that it had monetary worth, so I said, "No, I couldn't do that." After about the fourth time she told me to "just take it" and that she had plenty enough for the yard, I accepted. I obviously know the area it came from, but don't even know if it is a winter kill or something someone shot. I was very grateful to the generous landowner. They are also very good about letting people on their ranch and managing the hunters WITHOUT asking for a tresspass fee. It is nice to see that there are still good people around.
Probably more information than you wanted, but I thought I had better give credit where it is due.
Soup
P.S. Where do I pick up the Potassium stuff from post #2?

You can get it online from a taxidermy supply or hoe depot/lowes carries it..It is also used in water filters/softeners ..

I have used it before and it works good on antlers that are only a year old and barely sun bleached...It wont work good on chalky antlers..You will have to figure out how to restore them before you stain..Also be carefull and wear gloves it will stain your hands purple for a while..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-09 AT 08:45PM (MST)[p]+1 on the gloves. Try and restore the antlers with furniture oil before staining. Test it on a small portion of the back side before you dive in. If the oil won't work, use a wood sealer and then sand it lightly before staining. Good luck and post up the finished rack.

Be careful with the potassium permanganate. It's a strong oxidizer and can lead to fires under the right circumstances--and it stains like crazy. Wear good gloves unless you want purple hands...

HAZMAT

www.muddyroad.net

Try some Gesso that you get from an art store. Thin it with water and brush it on. It should fill the cracks as well as give a base for the oil paint and lacquer thinner you'll use to paint it. Paint the darker colors on after thinning and dry brush it off to get the look you want. Brush more thinned oil paint on if you want it darker. Then dry brush it again if neccesary. The gesso is the key. Practice on old sheds first so you don't ruin the rack.

You can use a flat white latex based paint to fill all the cracks and make the horns look uniform. Then you can stain with Antler stain from a Taxidermy shop or you can use various wood stains (applied lightly and use a darker one around the bases) for the look you are looking for. Cracked and chalky antlers will not accept stain correctly and will look pretty bad. The flat white latex paint will help seal the antler and allow you to build up the stain to the correct color. You can even airbrush the horns after the latex is applied.

Good luck....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom