Stallion Oryx

T

triggerpunch

This is my once in a lifetime veteran oryx hunt. We didnt get to hunt on Friday as there was a mission scheduled for that day but we got started right on time Saturday morning. We saw alot of oryx right away but couldnt get in range for a shot. They have unbelievable eyesight and could see us coming from a mile away. A few of them were really nice cows and 1 real nice bull.
While driving down one of the main roads my buddy spotted a small group about 250 yards off the road. I jumped out, ran the 40 feet off the pavemant and got the crosshairs on the biggest one of the group and put the hammer down. She dropped in her tracks. It was only 9:36 a.m. and the hunt was over.

7999dscn0157.jpg

683420111119100333.jpg

Muzzy Shooting Staff
Straight n Arrow Archery Pro Staff

Congratulations that is a fine looking Oryx. Glad to see the success. I hear them hunts are tougher than they use to be.
I got a nice bull off Stallion in 1996.
SWB

I recieved an email from the biologist a few days after the hunt with all the harvest results. For my hunt the success rate was 60%. 22 of the 50 oryx harvested were non typical. Top Bull and Top cow were 37".

Muzzy Shooting Staff

Congratulations everyone! This Stallion hunt is getting harder and harder to find mature animals... Here is the top bull for the hunt and Also a cow that missed top cow by 1/4 inch!

2606mm_st_nov.jpg

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Rusty we need to get together and talk about an Ibex hunt soon.

AAO those are some great oryx you guys put down. Congrats on top bull.

And a special thanks to NMG&F for allowing Iraq and Afghan vets a chance for these tags.

Muzzy Shooting Staff

Thanks triggerpunch. Just curious, but for the guys who have been on Stallion in the past,what are your thoughts about the overall herd? I think the numbers are way down and the quality of oryx is even less...I really think game and fish needs to evaluate this range and cut the permits and start bringing the herd back. In my opinion the herd is just getting knocked down too much and the once-in-a-lifetime experience is not all it's hyped up to be. Just my opinion...

I really wouldnt be the one to say if there were too many tags being given for Stallion since I've only been in that area once, but I think the harvest reports that Gilbert sends out after the hunts say alot. I would say that for a Once In a Lifetime tag a 60% success rate with 22 of those being harvested were non typical is a little disapointing.
We saw probably 30 plus oryx in the first 3 hours but there were only about 7 that were mature with both horns and maybe two of those were over 36". We just couldnt get close enough to those for a good shot. I didnt want to waste a Once in a lifetime tag so the first mature oryx with both horns that came in range I shot.

Muzzy Shooting Staff

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom