Stallion Range New Mexico

JFWRC

Very Active Member
Have any of you had the opportunity to hunt Stallion. If you haven't, its a large chunk of the White Sands Missile Range located South of Albuquerque and just southeast of Socorro. We went down last year after it had been closed 2 years to hunt and we had a good time. One of the perks of Stallion is you get to check out all the Oryx. If any of you out there want some info on Stallion, let me know. Odds on the resident draw were 27 to 1. Odds on the non-guided NR draw were 12 to 1. Odds with in the guided pool were 4 to 1. You can't win unless you play. I want to be your guest on the range. Last year we took an 80 inch goat on the second day. We could have taken him on the first day but we were looking for this one that we blew a stalk on one that was gorgeous. We couldn't find him again. E-mail me at [email protected].

Here is a picture of the second day buck. A good buck on the range is in this caliber. The one we screwed up on the first day probably was a booner.
jimwelles30104.jpg

Interesting thread. I assumed one couldn't apply to hunt the Stallion with an outfitter.
-raptor

Hey JFWRC,
I'm curious why they have a guided draw pool for the Stallion if you can't pay for a guided hunt on the base? Anyway, it looks like the guided draw pool has a lot better odds than the nonguided. How do I talk you into letting me apply with your guide #? I'd be glad to pay for your motel, food, and lodging!!!!

Its my understanding that when the outfitter legislation was passed year ago, certain species were included in the outfitter pool. All antelope hunts are required to be included in the guide pool. The Army has no mechanism to collect fees from outfitters/guides on military ranges. The USFS and BLM do, but the military doesn't I guess. They can charge an access fee for getting on the range to the hunters, but they don't have a means to charge a guide....go figure.

Seems like a really screwy deal to me and ought to be changed! Stay consistent and allow outfitted hunters to go on guided hunts on the military bases or do away with guide draw on military hunts. Doesn't it make sense to you JFWRC?

I antelope hunted on Stallion 3-4 years ago. There were Oryx hunters being guided on Stallion at that time. Can't remember the outfitters' names, but they were definitely guiding on the range at that time.

Sure, I have no problem paying a fee. I just want to take someone hunting and see their smile when they get a nice buck.

JFWRC, Email me your dad-gum guide number! I'd be overjoyed to be the smiling guy behind a monster buck!

The deadline for applying in the draw is the 24th of April. This hunt is a blast. Lets chat about it.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-04 AT 04:09PM (MST)[p]Jim,

I posted this on another bvoard but I thought you would get a kick out of it.

Well, since nobody else has responded I guess I will. If I put in and draw that tag I will let you go with me and we can look through my Leica spotting scope and use my Jeep to cover country, the Jeep is not new but it is a really cool CJ-7 that is built for hunting. I hope you would not mind. As for cost, I would not charge you anything to tag along, heck I would enjoy the company if nothing else and I'll bring lunch.
Seriously, I think that if you were to put out a price you might get more responses. Hell, I'll give you $100 bucks to use your outfitter draw and you can stay at home if you want. Thats a SMOKING deal eh?

Drummond

Thanks for your offers. At this point the reserve has not been met. As an ebay user, Jims, you surely know what this means....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom