Stallion Range Oryx New Mexico??????????????

U

UThunting

Well as most know (becouse I have told everyone I run into) I drew a oryx tag in Nem Mexico for jan 31 feb 1

I would like to know what to expect to find when I go on this hunt??

Who has drawn this tag before or any tag for oryx in New Mexico??

I was planing on driving down there and Im in Northern Utah or should I fly down?????

Any help would be great as I put in and really didnt think I would draw but I am starting to go nuts thinking about it and I still have a year to wait LOL

Thanks all

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy UT

Hey Clynt!

You'll have a great time! I hunted the Stallion Range this past Dec...I live in Cache Valley and can give you some insight as far as my experience went concerning travel, lodging and my overall inpression of the hunt....do's and donts, etc.....Drop me an email at [email protected] or give me a call at 435-863-3445 and I would be glad to answer any questions that you may have...

Good luck!

Kevin

Looks like you have a good source with Kevin, and also Vinihunt and Predator have both hunted Oryx, so send them a note.... Allen Taylor......

we was there yesterday and bagged an oryx around 9am.....my cousin had a tag.....there are many broken horn oryx and non typical oryx...so take your time finding a big one...u have plenty of time 2 days to hunt since we only had 1 day!.oryx allover but hard to find. congrats draw the tag...

vinihunt

Clynt---------You are starting early !! So am I !! The stallion gate is near Socorro, that's probably where I'll get a motel. I've heard that they will let you drive up as close as you can to the downed animal to load. I think you are better off driving down, that way you'll have your 4x4 to hunt out of. Are you planning on bring down a buddy to help you load the oryx?

I've got the same hunt as you---Maybe we can coordinate & compare notes, motels etc. Might be able to carvan down there together. Plenty of time to work this out, if interested.

Bob

Interested ???

Hell ya I am that would be killer to hook up with someone that has a tag that way I will let you shoot the first one and then I will go get the big one LOL

No really lets hook up and see if we can save a few bucks going down I have a trailer I can put a jeep on and I night take a trailer if that option is open anyway let me know

And yes I was thinking of taking someone but I aint shure who or if there will be someone avalable or not as everyone wants to go tell the date comes up and then everyone is busy doing other things

Thanks all for the info I will be getting ahold of ya in a short time>>>>

This is why I cant stay off MM its to fun planing and talking to people about hunting THANKS

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy Ut
[email protected]

Yup bud man its in 2004 and its only a 2 day hunt whitch is better then the 2003 hunt as it was only a 1 day hunt ...........

Hey Clint, congrats buddy! Just a thought, if you're going to pair up with someone. I flew to El Paso and rented a 4X4. With gas prices going the way they are, and air prices remaining competitive, you might find that it could be cheaper to fly and rent the truck, splitting the cost with a buddy. We had no hassles whatsoever, and there are plenty of nice accomodations and restaurants in Las Cruces.

I've got a pic of my oryx mounted. I'll see if I can figure out how to post it; they are beautiful and did I mention TASTE MIGHTY FINE!!

Lisa

Lisa

You are still around I remember when you drew the tag and a few others the same year and you thought you was a going to live you'r last year and the hunting gods where just being good to ya

Nice to see that wasnt the case thanks for the info I am looking into maybe flying but I love to drive so I will probably do that and that way I could hook up with bob in Colarado

Please email me a picture or we will hook up at the sportsman and womans show in SLC

Thanks
UThunting (in New Mexico)
Clynt L Citte
Roy Ut

Pleasedear-----The hunt is rifle only? I think they have a bow hunt in December.

Clynt-----Did you get my e-mail??

P.C.....that depends on how many beers you've had; yes, they aren't exactly hard to find. Hard to hit, definitely, but hard to find, um ,nope.

Ya Bob I got mine yesterday also I was thinking maybe I wouldnt get one because I thought I might have read the draw results wrong but I guess we are in

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy Utah

Clynt,
Jeff Mott here. I just got off the phone with you. It is Saturday at 2:50 California time. If I find out anything that I think you might want to know about regarding our Oryx hunts, I will let you know. I would appreciate it if you would do the same. My e-mail address is [email protected].

Thanks,
Jeff Mott

How much do the tags cost? How long did it take you guys to draw your tags? I've heard that they are as common as antelope in Wyoming. Is this true? I would love to eventually hunt these awesome animals. Keep up the good hunts!

You could draw a tag the first time you apply, or you may never draw a tag. NM has no preference point system and so you have the samw chance as everyone else who applied.

They are very common in the White Sands Missle range area. They are also very agressive animals with few predators in NM. Applying for a depradation tag is usually an easier way to get a tag, but the hunt CAN BE more difficult than the once-in-a-lifetime hunts. Apply for one a have fun if you draw. The tags are quite pricey for NR though. Check the NMDG&F website.
www.gmfsh.state.nm

Good luck,
Josh

The tags where $1500 plus $100 for the missle range

Anyway I have a Question for you all out there what would a Oryx weigh?

And yes you can draw on the first try as that is what I did this year but I have talked to a few people that say that have tried for years and have not got a tag

Thanks ]

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy Utah

Oryx are fairly large animals. I would say they are between the size of a spike and cow elk depending upon what sex and age it is. Oryx are reknown for taking a lick'n and keep on tick'n so I would definitely consider a large caliber. Their lungs are found between their front legs so if you shoot them behind the shoulder you have just gut shot them. They also have very heavy, dense bones and very tough hides. Bring along a sharp knife or 2 plus something to sharpen them if you plan on skinning/caping yours. They have been known to gore lions in Africa so don't go lilly-gaggin up to them after you shoot them or you might find a long horn stuck through your gut! They are THE best wild game I've ever tasted so plan on taking care of the meat. They also make remarkable trophies!

Oryx are one of the tougher animals to judge. In fact, most hunters can't tell the difference between a bull and a cow. If you have a spotting scope and locate their penis...there you go! Most guys on the military hunts shoot oryx in the 33 to 35" range. A 40"er is consider a giant! Oryx are one species where the cows can often grow longer horns than bulls. In fact, on my hunt I saw 3 cows in the 40+" range and the biggest bull I saw was around 37-38". The bulls horns are heavier in mass from the base all the way to the tips. They often have larger blockier bodies.

From what I've heard cows give birth to cows and go into heat quite a few different months of the year (not just springtime). The calves are quite a bit smaller in body size, have very short horns, and are usually a different color. Sub-adult oryx out in the prairie alone are very tough to judge so you really have to watch. Oryx in large groups are fairly easy to distinguish by comparing mass, length, and confirmation of horns.

You'll likely see "nontypical" oryx on your hunt. These are either oryx with 1 or 2 broken horns, or freakos! There are also licenses available for nontypicals that are generally a lot easier to draw. I did quite a bit of research prior to my hunt and had a great trip. If you have any questions regarding oryx I can be reached at: [email protected]

I was a buddy's guest a few weeks ago. I'd say we saw about 350-400 animals. My buddy took a small bull by about 9:30 the first morning. Seems like the success rate for these is almost 100%.
-Raptor

Thanks NMRaptor

Sounds like you had fun I have one question though and it aint to be rude but why did your freind shoot a small bull on the first day I am guessing that its becouse they are hard to judge please let me know as I would like any help on these becouse I know very little about judgeing them Thanks again

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy Ut

I think a lot of guys pannick because it took them years of waiting to draw a tag and the hunt is such a short duration. If a sudden windstorm or something comes up the oryx may head into the brush and shallow draws and may be alittle tougher to find. Last year the hunt was only 1 day and this year I believe most are 2 days. This doesn't leave a whole lot of time to dinker around, but you shouldn't have any problems finding oryx.

Oryx are alittle tricky distinguishing horn length and sex. If they are grouped together it is fairly easy to compare them against eachother but when there are singles it can be pretty tough.

Just like any other game, if you see a monster it is usually pretty evident. If you are trophy hunting and have any question whether it is big enough...keep looking! It usually helps to acclimate yourself by looking over quite a few oryx so you know what is average. When you see a monster..you'll likely know it! A 40" oryx is considered mighty big while a 34-36"er is about normal for many of the NM hunts. If you think of a yard stick being 36" that can give you a feel for a starting point for length. Obviously the males horns are a bit more massive all the way to the tips so they may appear alittle shorter than some of the long, thinner horned females.

If you have a spotting scope it makes it a lot easier to distinguish sex/horn length at 300+ yards. Just like antelope or mtn goat hunting I wouldn't leave home without my best optics, tripods, and window mounts!

If oryx haven't been harrassed, most hunters fill their tags by noon of the first day and shoot one of the first oryx they see. Obviously many of the oryx get spooked off the main roads after the first morning so you may need to hike to vantage points to locate them once they've been disturbed. If you've ever antelope hunted, it is very similar to hunting speed goats.

My best words of advice is to look at as many photos and mounted oryx as you can prior to your hunt. Obviously the more animals you look over, the more likely you'll be able to distinguish their size. Take your time and don't rush into shooting the first one you see!

jims

Thanks for more info it all helps I am starting to get the bug to go now I have not had a tag this year and this will be my only hunt for myself so I dont want to flop it up your info is very good I am hoping that I wont shoot on on the first day but I guess I better think about the weather and all

Again Thanks all ]

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy Ut

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom