Stallion Range oryx

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I drew and I am hunting in Feb, I have 2 locals who are going to help me out. I am trying to look at topo maps, Maptech, I easily find whitesands but I have no idea what part is Stallion Range?

Also what ideas, hints etc do you have? I have read other posts. I will bowhunt 1 day, rifle hunt day 2.

Don,

Stallion range does not lend itself to be a bowhunt friendly place wide open with nothing to hide yourself. The Oryx are becoming more and more hunt wary. With very little cover it could be a very very very tough hunt.

Really the only places that you might get it done is on the southern end there is some areas where the grease wood is tall enough but seeing them before they see you - well good luck. It seems that most of the large herds are moving into a kinda of roadless area that is on the southeastern corner of the unit.

The Stallion Range is the northwest portion of the Missile Range.

I agree on 2nd guessing the bow hunt. I consider myself a bowhunter, but after watching my buddy attempt to get one with a bow on a 3 day hunt on the Rhodes Canyon Range (which has some spots that might offer a little better chance at getting in range) I never even considered it again...not even on my off-range hunt.

Add to the equation that these animals have a very strong will to survive = they can take a hit and are more apt turn on you. You are also required to wear orange.

Stallion has become a difficult hunt so it's very important not to pass up a good representative animal, the average horn length for a bull will be 33 inches and a cow will be 34 to 35 inches so don't pass up a good two horned adult. In regards to Maps an unofficial map can be requested by email [email protected]. Aslo your local BLM office will have some maps that may help. Please give me a call for past harvest information on Stallion 678-3487. Also it is critical your locals are not guides or are approved outfitters on WSMR.

In my opinon Stallion is not breeze and the past 210 hunters would also agree. The harvest rates for this year's hunt was 67% & 76% compared to an average of 84% in 07 and you combine that with the fact that 35% to 40% of those harvested are subadults plus 33% to 38% of those harvested were broken horn oryx really makes this a REAL Hunt for a good representative oryx. The days of roading hunting are over. In order to get a respectable animal you need to be able to do some good glassing and be prepared to walk several miles and that's just half of it. Through the gate we may get 10 to 12% of the hunters that get lucky enough to shoot one close to the road. We had two guides on our last hunt and one of them had to kill a subadult to harvest out. We also had an out of state hunter that I would consider a professional hunter pass up several animals on Saturday to shoot a 18 inch subadult on Sunday evening before it got dark.

Don, take my word for it... it will be a hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-08 AT 10:55AM (MST)[p]I am the hunter that Leftturn was refering to. I hunted hard and could not get close much less the right shot. Please keep in mind this was back when it was a road hunt outting. I have been on a couple of other hunts and would have to agree with the others that you are best off leaving the bow at home and making the most of the hunt with the rifle. Rather than try the bow I would try for a little bigger animal with the rifle. All the same don't pass up a good animal. take as big of a gun as you can handle. Those critters are tuff. Although he wasn't supposed to do it, I was on one hunt where the hunter didn't want to ruin the cape with the finishing off shot so he pulled out his .45 and at point blank range shot it in the chest. Didn't work, he had to pop it one more time with the 300. The 45 didn't make it through the skin! I was amazed by this. This was with a 230gr FMJ!!

They are tough!!! Don, I think it would be a great accomplishment to kill one with your bow. I would recommend you bring your bow and have your partner stalk with you holding your rifle right behind you incase you run into that trophy that you just can't let get away because you have your bow only. They will allow this on the range and that is usually what most bow hunters do.

Good Luck

As a bowhunter myself, I'd say save the room in the truck and leave the bow at home. Plus, their vitals are further forward, (directly through the shoulder)so a behind the shoulder shot will leave you trailing a tough beast for miles. Stallion is a very flat, wide open area and due to the continuous hunting pressure, these animals are skiddish. Plan on a 200+ yd shot. The southern boundary of the stallion area has some foothills that are good. We've taken a few Oryx in that area. If you do attempt it with a bow, I'd start there. Otherwise, bring the shooting sticks, practice before hand at 300 yds, and let it fly!

I do aspire to kill one with my bow as well, and after I've killed a few, maybe I'll give it a whirl! I think if you were in the San Andreas, Rhodes or Oscura areas you could pull this off!

Good luck either way!

JFWRC do not worry, you are on my list to call! I am not going guided - have a friend who has helped several other guys and will help me, I do know you guide there and was going to call for some ideas. I am just getting into research, until now I was very busy with my CO bow sheep hunt. Then recovering and getting caught up, now preparing for NM.

Great info guys, I am NOT die hard for taking one with bow, I will be happy wih rifle. Good idea to have partner carry rifle, I was going to see if that was legal. I am good at bowhunting and rarelly loose game BUT pressure to fill my OIL tag and the wounding policy is a big deal. Rifle looks better.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom