Starkey Experimental

LoveBigRacks

I think I've got a sure draw this year (finally) for the archery bull elk tag in the Starkey Experimental Forest, Oregon that is. I'm going to head over in early June to do some looking around, curious to find out if anyone has been in there yet this year... Anyone who has drawn the tag before and has any feedback would be appreciated too.

LBR

Don't have any info for you but am interested in how that area turns out for you as I am building points for a bull permit archery in the next few years. I am up to 5 points and am trying to decide what to do. Have you ever hunted a permit area for elk in Oregon? How many points do you have? Good luck nwhunter

I know a guy from Prairie City who had the Starkey Ex. tag two years ago. He said as soon as people started sneaking around blowing on calls the bulls would bunch up and head out into the meadows or clearcuts where they were impossible to reach. But I guess some people were trying to anyway as he witnessed several hunters attempting long distance shooting. He said it wasn't a pleasent hunting experience!

You might find some trails and setup treestands or construct a crude groundblind for an ambush and let the other hunters do the work for you. Good luck if you draw!

My hunting partner and I have 7 pts for elk. We've been applying for Walla Walla archery elk for several years. It looks like we might have a chance for drawing this year!

treekiller

muleyslyr...The hunt number is 255R, unit 55 in Oregon. Is unit 149 in Washington?

I think your odds ara about 1.5% chance of getting a tag w/ 9 points. Let us know IF you get drawn.

jeremy mulino, oregon

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom