Starting out

adamsoa

I have a young female about 18 months that has been run on coon for the last six months or so and is doing great, and another pup that is a couple of months. I want to give lions a try this winter. I have a few people that I can run them with but I was wondering about how to get them started or if there is anything that I need to do now to get them ready for winter---other then run lots of coon?

You might want to get a hold of some bobcat or lion scent and spray that on the coons. If you think they are ready, you could also do some training off of deer and elk. I road my dogs through herds of elk or deer and pop any of them that show much interest. They will soon learn not to bother with them. With most pups, the problem is not getting them to track and tree, its teaching them what not to run. You have to be careful not to break them too soon off of deer and elk or you could mess them up for life. I start breaking my pups at less then a year but they've been on 30-50 trees by that time. Every pup is different, be careful and good luck.

There is no substitute for throwing a young dog down on the ground with an experienced lion dog. If you can find someone who will let you run your dog with their top lion dog, you better jump all over it amigo.

I however, am not one of those people!! ;-)

You can run drags, use scent, etc... but there is and never will be any substitute for letting one go on a track with a seasoned lion dog.

Good luck amigo. It's a long hard road from wild crazy pup to finished lion dog. Hang in there.

-Dawg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom