State by State ranking

blindsquirrel1

Rank the top 3 & worst 3 western states in game management. I have only hunted Idaho & Montana. Montana Is miles ahead in my opinion. Idaho apears to be selling more than they have to offer every year.

Colorado does a great job of managing for opportunity. Other states do a good job of managing for trophy. I like to hunt so prefer opportunity.

I look at elk, deer and pronghorn tags as the benchmark since each of us can expect to draw those tags from time to time or every year.

As a resident of only one state, how well non-residents get treated creates another facet I consider.

For example, New Mexico has trophy pronghorn but as a hunter that prefers to hunt without a guide or outfitter when possible then having just 6% of tags in the NR bucket is right there with how crappy Oregon treats NR.

Balancing opportunity as a NR to draw a tag then hunt without an outfitter or guide with a decent chance to see mature animals is what I call a decent tag. These are tags that no one would say are from the top tier units for that species in that state but are very good tags. Looking at those decent tags and as a NR:

1) Colorado
2) Montana
3) Wyoming

New Mexico would have been 4th before the changes for 2012. As it stands now, all the other western states do not get a ranking from me. I apply in some of those other states but figure at best will draw a single decent tag for any species perhaps once a decade in each as a non-resident.

My 2 cents.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-12 AT 06:46PM (MST)[p]Since I began applying 18 years ago, I believe Arizona is the only state that has not chosen to lower nonresident opportunity in some manner, and diminish the value of points previously sold.

Memeber RMEF, UBNM, UWC & the SFW Hate Club

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom