State Trust Lands

eelgrass

Long Time Member
How many people know how State Trust Lands came about and what purpose they are supposed to serve?

I keep hearing you can't camp or hunt on State lands, and that's generally true. That is not their purpose.

I'm not a citizen of Utah and I'm not taking sides, I'm just posting for informational purposes. I think most States have State Trust Lands set aside for the benefit of education. At least that was the original intent.

http://statetrustlands.org/state-by-state/utah.html

http://www.schoollandtrust.org/wp-c...SCHOOL-TRUST-LANDS-IN-UTAH-School-Board-1.pdf

Suppose to work is Right!

They're Still Taxin Our Asses to no End!

[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA SEE
THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

The bottom line is that trust lands belong to the people of the state wherever those land are.
Administrators of those lands can make them available to the citizens and still fulfill their fiduciary responsibilities. There is no doubt, however, state lands are not as available for use, by the general public, as are federal lands and the public has more of a voice in the use and management of federal land.

In colorado they are making them available by fulfilling the fiduciary responsibility. Paying to play on them, or graze on them, or utilize them in any other way was the original intent of these particular lands. Colorado also parlayed some of those lands into a contingent 70k+ acre state forest that we are able to utilize in many ways. It's not what it once was due to public pressure to quit logging back in the 60's, halting that revenue stream, creating the first sprinkles in the perfect storm for the pine beetle. "If" another administration transfers more federal lands to the states there will be parameters set as there was with the state trust lands. Without seeing those parameters claiming to know what the result of those transfers would be is only speculation.

http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/Pages/StateTrustLands.aspx

LAST EDITED ON Jul-04-16 AT 07:18AM (MST)[p]Thanks DW. It looks like Colorado isn't as bad as California. (except for their baseball team) :)

Here is a good example of what can happen. I picked California because that's where I live.

When California became a State, 5.5 million acres were set aside as State Trust Lands to be used for education funding in perpetuity.

Right now we're down to a little over 468,000 acres remaining out of 5.5 million. In the early days of California, some crooked politicians and lawyers got together and figured out a way to sell off small parcels to individuals (cheap) who then sold it to big land barrens from back east. That's how big timber companies and some big ranchers came to own so much land. I'm not against big timber companies, as they hire a lot of people and pay taxes, and are now pretty good stewards of the land. But the original intent has gone the way of the Passenger Pigeon.

It appears that the income received from the remaining State Trust Lands in California goes mainly to the State Teachers Retirement System.

http://statetrustlands.org/state-by-state/california.html

No wonder the schools have to have bake sales to provide paper and pencils to educate our kids.

Based on past performance, I would think long and hard before I gave California our Federal land.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-04-16 AT 07:31AM (MST)[p]The $#@%! Dodgers just beat em like a drum I expect yer giants to do the same eel! Hey I think we just established the first 2 parameters, the land can never be sold or transfered from state possession (STL could be sold and the revenue put in the trust to generate income forever) and the public shall be able to recreate on it till the end of time in the same manner as they are at time of transfer to the states.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-04-16 AT 10:30AM (MST)[p]
You can't camp on State land in Wyoming unless specifically allowed, so you better hunt close enough that you can make it back to the truck at night.

In Utah, DWR pays for us to hunt on some land, but it is at the discretion of SITLA, and even that could change at any time. Plenty of State land is closed to hunting in Utah, it all depends on the lease.

(http://www.sltrib.com/news/4062922-155/rolly-dont-think-utah-has-a)

In every state, hunting is more restricted and access more regulated than on land managed by USFS/BLM.

Grizzly

I've never had any trouble hunting or camping on State Trust Land in Utah unless it is leased for mineral rights or SOLD OFF as they are starting to do.

I've seen quite a few times in Utah where state land is swapped or traded for other land. This happens from year to year.
It seems I am always checking on the current status of state land in the unit I hunt every year to see what changes have been made.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. So
we must and we will."
Theadore Roosevelt

There are a lot of multi section state land areas in central wyoming where I elk hunt. Plus, if it's agricultural state land it's off limits.

Wyoming uses resource damage as a reason to arbitrarily close state land from any access other than the lessee. GVH is right, if it's "cultivated", the whole parcel, not just the cultivated field is closed to any access.

I am 100% against State Trust Lands. Most of the western states hane proven over and over that they afford to own and manage the lands and ultimately end up selling what was once public land to private owners.

Our public lands have to be federally owned and managed without question. Otherwise every state will end up like Texas. I don't understand this anti-federal ownership movement. It's short-sighted and naive.

That's another awesome video Grizzly. I am sure in the next video Randy will explain how there is no longer any hunting fishing or camping on any of those private lands now and that apparently PETA an ISIS are the only people that by these properties.

Hopefully nobody takes his bait and we can keep this discussion on subject... maybe save a thread for once.

Grizzly

>I am 100% against State Trust
>Lands. Most of the western
>states hane proven over and
>over that they afford to
>own and manage the lands
>and ultimately end up selling
>what was once public land
>to private owners.
>

Stupid founding fathers!! The state trust land act was enacted by congress in 1785 as a way to fund public education. To gain admittance into the union, a state had to survey all the land within it's borders into 36 square mile sections, one square mile of which was given to the state for the purpose of generating revenue for education.

Many of the eastern states sold nearly all their land holdings generations ago. Some states like Utah held on to theirs as an investment. Still, one has to remember that the sole purpose of state trust land and the reason it was created is revenue for the state.

Wait a minute Grizzly. YOU HIJACKED THE THREAD BY POSTING ANOTHER PROPOGANDA VIDEO. But you want to keep this thread "on track".

Look I can understand your position along with Randy to keep those lands Federal lands. I think what people are tired of seeing is yall disseminate bologna to push your agenda. You don't gain favor in a debate by insulting your opponent's intelligence.

Just tell the truth Grizzly and Randy. Yall want the land to stay federal for free hunting access and the rest of America's wants or needs be damned. Your hunting spot is more important.

>Stupid founding fathers!! The state trust
>land act was enacted by
>congress in 1785 as a
>way to fund public education.
>To gain admittance into the
>union, a state had to
>survey all the land within
>it's borders into 36 square
>mile sections, one square mile
>of which was given to
>the state for the purpose
>of generating revenue for education.
>
>
>Many of the eastern states sold
>nearly all their land holdings
>generations ago. Some states like
>Utah held on to theirs
>as an investment. Still, one
>has to remember that the
>sole purpose of state trust
>land and the reason it
>was created is revenue for
>the state.

Why Kevin, does one have to remember the purpose of state trust lands? Most have been sold, like you wrote and the states own what's left to do with as that state's constitution or statute require. Period.

In Wyoming, most trust land revenue is still directed toward school funding, but it is a small percentage of the total school budget. Even Wyoming has sold nearly a million acres of it's original 4 million plus grant from statehood. The people of Wyoming now require the State Land Board to keep the remaining lands within a certain amount, not going under or over more than 10,000 acres. In our state constitution, the section dealing with state land is titled "Public Lands".

Beyond that, one only has to look and see how state mangers and elected officials have managed state land, to know without sweeping reform, these same land managers in control of federal lands, would be detrimental to recreationists and sportsman alike.

School capital construction funding in Wyoming is largely paid for by Coal Lease Bonus payments from federal land leases. In 2015 CLB payments were $224M. $215M of that went to school capital construction. Over the last 8 years this has averaged $155M per year. That is forecast to be down to essentially $0 by 2018. This is due to the Obama administrations moratorium on new federal coal leases. The moratorium will last at least 3 years, then add several years after that to acquire a new lease and you are looking at close to three quarters of a billion dollars in lost school funding over 5 years. Something is going to have to make up the lost revenue to the State. What is that going to be?

While I do not support a State transfer, it is actions like this by the Feds that only bolster the support of those that do.

I agree that the coal fiasco, which Obama promised during his initial campaign and sought for most of his reign, is a major negative to the people of Wyoming and I in no way condone it.

However, those that think State ownership will in any way prevent Federal oversight or manipulation are misinformed. The Feds will still have the EPA and Army Corp of Engineers to influence the goings-on over State/Private land and any surface water, or land affected by surface water. They also could use Air Quality laws to prevent any mining they disagree with and only need one judge to agree with them. The Feds also can use the Endangered Species Act or dozens of groups suing over various environmental concerns to get their way.

The big bad "Feds" that everybody talks about is the problem, just not in the way that people think they are.

Our Congressmen are telling us to blame everything on the "Feds", but our Congressmen ARE the "Feds". They hold the budgets and purse-strings that are woefully inadequate for proper management, then they cut those budgets and then claim not enough is spent on land management. They write the laws that are used to sue on behalf of environmental groups. And they write the laws that say tax-payers have to pay the environmentalist's legal fees. They write the laws the judges rule on in the lawsuits and they confirm the judges that make rulings outside the scope of the law.

The EPA, Army Corp of Engineers, ESA, etc... would have no effect on any of these issues if Congress hadn't specifically given those entities that power. Congress did this. Nobody else.

And Congress has the ability to fix it, but that doesn't help their friends nearly as much as letting them buy the land cheap so they can personally profit off of it.

Ask yourself how an individual can get elected with a moderate personal wealth, make $170,000 per year, and retire as a multi-millionaire. The whole system is corrupt and the only thing that is keeping public land open to all of us is their ineptitude maintains the status quo.

Overall, the most restricted-access is to Private lands, then State lands, and the least-restricted access is to USFS/BLM lands. Hunters have only two options... 1) Be wealthy enough to buy their own hunting lands. 2)Keep public lands in the hands of the Feds where it will remain open, albeit with certain negative repercussions as well.

If you have an issue with Federal management, get Congress to change it... its their job and what they're hired to do. But certainly don't give it to the States where they have proven they will close the land or sell it off.

Grizzly

Grizz, two points on your post, mostly in agreement, but adding some more.

1) I agree that Congress is the problem and the solution, but I disagree where exactly that it becomes a "problem". Yes, the EPA, ESA, etc have impacts, and unfortunately are politically appointed and swayed agencies. That does cause problems. However, if they operated as intended, I doubt they would be stopping logging, closing existing roads, restricting grazing, etc. to the extent currently occurring - all the factors that are fueling the movement to move Federal lands to state ownership.

You touched upon plaintiff legal fees being paid by the feds, but it seemed to be just a piece of the puzzle in what you wrote. I believe that Congress's passage and continued allowance of a litigious paradigm is the very crux of what causes the real havoc. The EPA and ESA are just tools, levers. Under current statute/rules, if an entity brings a suit against the Feds, and wins, the Feds pay the legal fees of the plaintiff. Legal firms are more than happy to bring an endless stream of suits for endangered snails, spotted owls, air pollution, whatever, knowing that they will win the majority (if they are selectively entered into), and make bank. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts. A cottage industry created by Congress that breeds the gridlock we are complaining about.

The solution is to remove this incentive to tie up every single logging contract, quash every coal plant, etc. Quit paying attorneys to bring up every possible suit they can conjure up! I believe this is why, over and over, we see vanguard species (spotted owl, darter snail, sage grouse, etc) brought up as the reason to stop this action, that resource extraction, on and on, only to prove later, after getting bogged down in a decade of expensive research to find that there was no real issue. Of course extremist environmentalists and their like minded (or simply money-minded) attorneys are going to bring suit and claim every logging contract must be stopped for whatever reason they can possibly assert! It makes them money while simultaneously fighting for something they believe in!

2) "But certainly don't give it to the States where they have proven they will close the land or sell it off."

If one cares to look at the data, it's pretty convincing. Moving Federal lands to state control WILL result in private ownership. There is a very long list of natural incentives to not hold the land, be it missed property taxes, costs to manage/defend, budget shortfalls, etc, etc. And the states will be sued by the attorneys above using the EPA, ESA, etc all the same. The states won't have the funds to deal with this, and the only way to restart logging will be to sell it to private hands. I digress from my point.

School trust lands provide the prime example of what state's do with land in their ownership. 134 million acres of federal and state lands were initially granted to support public schools and students by 1959. In 2001, the retained land was down to just 1/3 of what was originally granted - 45 million acres. States had sold off 89 million acres.

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, Missouri, Ohio, Louisiana, Michigan, Iowa, and Kansas had received significant (millions) of acres each, and in 2011 had ZERO remaining as public trust lands.

Alaska, California, Nevada, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, and Wisconsin had 21 in 26 sections granted as school trust lands. Each now has very small holdings as compared to what was originally granted. Nevada has dwindled to only 3,000! California has only a pathetic 469,000 compared to the 5.5 million acres originally granted!

Transferring land to states absolutely equals moving it to private hands. Perhaps not next year, perhaps not the year after, but it WILL happen.

Charina, you summed up the issue very well. The transfer of lands to the states wouldn't even be an issue if it wasn't for what's going on with all the environmental law suits.

Maybe that's true but we have hippie lawyers so we are screwed. Are you guys telling me that most states can fund a huge wildfire on their lands or several fires in a season. I doubt it.

"Maybe that's true but we have hippie lawyers so we are screwed."
Hippie lawyers are not bad. We NEED all opposing views to hash out what is best through the slowly grinding wheels of legislation and adjudication. I vehemently disagree with those pigeon-holed into the term "hippie lawyers", but they are of value. The real issue is that they are incentivized to artificially disrupt the process.

Consider if the tables were reversed - that environmental lawsuits had to be self-funded (with no remuneration for legal fees in any case, as is pretty standard fare), BUT, businesses knew that if they brought suit and won, their legal fees would be paid. You can bet that countless suits would be filed regarding logging contracts, coal leases, oil, hunting, etc, etc. What's the downside to throwing everything at the wall possible and see what sticks? At worst, you win only a fraction of your cases. You lost *nothing* in the attempt. The attorney's would be willing to work contingently, knowing the couple won cases would pay the bills, the business would loose nothing and actually stands to gain something.

It's the paradigm of encouraging lawsuits by the hippie attorneys that mucks things up artificially. Make them selectively choose what are real issues that need to be challenged, not incentivize them to file on any and every matter possible.

"Are you guys telling me that most states can fund a huge wildfire on their lands or several fires in a season. I doubt it."

I don't see anyone (aside from Tristate's comments in other threads) in this thread saying that. Perhaps it's a rhetorical question to the choir?

It's not just the costs the states would incur from a transfer of lands, although that is a HUGE issue. Does anyone honestly think that if the federal agencies are forced to turn over land, that they will begin doling out money to states for the purpose of managing those lands? I think not! And even if the budget of the Forest Service was drastically cut because of reduced lands to manage, does anyone honestly think our federal taxes will go down? Nope! It never happens that way.

Rather, our federal taxes will remain the same, and now, to maintain the lands in the same open-access manner, the state will have to come up with funds to manage those lands, patrol them, maintain roads, suppress fires, defend ESA lawsuits, defend lawsuits challenging resource extracting, etc, etc, etc. State taxes will HAVE to go up in order to do the same work now done by the feds. State lands still have the issues of lawsuits, albeit not to the same level as federal lands. Just look at the other state-trust lands thread with the environmental wackos that are constantly fighting against the exploratory tar sands extraction efforts. It's a constant fight out there for that project. And not to far from there, there was consideration of gas/oil extraction from the Bookcliffs roadless area. That met all sorts of resistance (which I happen to agree with - its one of few pristine areas, and a great hunting resource without all the wells).

Currently, the NF in western states where we like to hunt are maintained by ALL americans. NY, FL, and CA residents help pay for the NF in CO, ID, UT, etc. My share of costs to maintain NF in my and other states is minuscule because it is spread out over such a large base, including corporate profits from Wall Street and Silicon Valley. Move it to the state, and only the citizens of that state will be footing the bill for the particular lands transferred over. That could be significant.

One would hope that the revenues from such lands would make it profitable to hold them and manage them. That might be the case IF the hippie lawyers were not so intent on stopping every resource extraction they can. Like it or not, ESA, EPA, and many other federal issues won't go away simply because of ownership change. I'm not confident that enough of the land will be profitable, as much will remain cost centers.

Citizens of the state will be upset at increased taxes, pressuring the state to reduce costs of managing land. The state legislators will be looking at the $ that could be obtained from sales of land. And they will be salivating at the potential increased property taxes that could result from moving that land to private hands. Why wouldn't a state do so? Revenue stream from resource extraction with all the management issues and legal fights from holding it? Or steady known revenue stream from property taxes with the initial bump from the sale? Easy choice for any entity, esp one with budgetary constraints and angry citizens.

There is only ONE way I would agree to federal lands being transferred to the states, whether moved to school trust, or some other form . . . A permanent easement to maintain the same public access as currently exists at the time of transfer. If the state sells it to private, then the easement remains in place, and it stays open to public access for hunting and fishing and camping etc - permanently.

Still, I have my hesitations that such a plan would be efficacious to better management of the land. I do agree with the vanguard of the pro-transfer movement, that those closest to the resource make the best decisions. Unfortunately, there a whole lot more to the story than that facile argument. Costs, revenue pressures, and external interference that just may prevent the state (or private) from doing the very things that prevent the feds from allowing logging, mining, etc.

Honestly, I want the hippie lawyers to be watching over land management. I don't want the Feds, state, or private citizens/businesses damaging the land in ways that degrades it (pollution, no remediation of mining, denuding, etc). I want the land healthy for hunting and fishing after resource extraction. I just don't want them incentivized to make it ridiculously difficult to extract renewable, and non-renewable, resources in appropriate ways. I wonder when these environmental groups and law firms will wake up to the fact they are the reason that there is a movement to change ownership from Fed -> State -> Private. They will have a MUCH harder time stopping inappropriate actions on private land, and have countless little fires to fight rather than 1 centralized fire, or 50 manageable fires. Sadly, with the profit incentive built into the system, even if the ones that care did realize that, it might never be stopped until Congress removes the litigious profit incentive.

Great post Charina.

One more point to remember... Every state but Vermont has it either written in their Constitution, or by other formal written requirement, to have a balanced budget and not run an annual deficit. (source: http://www.ncsl.org/research/fiscal-policy/state-balanced-budget-requirements-provisions-and.aspx)

What this means is that even in a best case scenario, only a few years of depreciated revenues from natural resources (as Wyoming will soon see with coal or is currently happening worldwide with oil) will require either immediate selling of land or massive tax increases to cover the budget shortfall.

The Federal government can run a deficit (which they do all too well, even with Republicans in charge of the Legislative purse strings) but the States don't have that luxury.

What happens the first year of a bad wildfire or a successful lawsuit stops a drilling/mining project or oil prices plummet? The states are instantly saddled with a bill, potentially in the hundreds of millions of dollars, and will be forced to tell the public they will get a massive tax increase or public land will have to be sold. If we give them an inch, they'll eventually take a yard. And then another.

None of us can be sure our land will remain public. None of us can promise our kids and grandkids we aren't selling off their public-land-birthright due to our own inability to live within our means. None of us can take our young kids to our favorite camping spot along a high mountain lake and tell them they'll be able to take their kids camping in the same spot someday.

Also, I personally requested to Mike Noel, the sponsor of the Utah Public Land Management Act of 2016, a requirement that land not be sold. My request was the law require 75% approval from both chambers of the legislature as well as a signature from the Governor. He would not agree.

I understand there could potentially be a land swap that would truly be beneficial, but a super-majority is the only way I feel we could adequately protect our land in perpetuity from money-grubbing politicians trying to line their pockets and bolster favors among the business elite. The refusal to write a prohibition on selling public land makes sense considering the state-sponsored study concluded that land would have to be sold.

If the point of this scam is allegedly to raise money, a public access easement would be far too detrimental to the potential value of the land and would only diminish its value when selling the land to mining, ranching, and drilling interests so I'm sure that will never happen either. There is no financial benefit to politicians to hunters/hikers/camping using public land. It doesn't make them any money so we are always going to be at the bottom of the totem pole.

The Republican politicians know land will be sold. They're planning on land being sold. They don't even hide the fact that land will be sold and they refuse to write anything into the law requiring land not be sold. And thus, I will vote for Democrats this year.

Grizzly

Grizzly, I hear and agree with some of what your saying,,,
but given a few more years of this Democrat BS you will not be doing any hunting at all.

Also I am still waiting for someone to explain to me how every drop of carbon in any form will not be squeezed out of every inch of this planet,, sooner or later.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-16 AT 04:43PM (MST)[p]Castnshoot, you and I just disagree on which is the greater threat to hunting heritage, which is fine.

The fact is that the US Senate already passed a test vote requiring the disposal of all Federal lands not in National Parks. If Ted Cruz, or Paul Ryan, or Gary Herbert was in the White House right now... it would already be too late, BLM and Forest Service land would already be gone. The threat is real, and it's imminent. The votes from the Republican Party are already cast.

Plus, let's consider worst-case scenarios from both parties for the sake of discussion. If anti-hunters within the Democrat Party won and all hunting was banned nationwide, we'd still have public land for hiking/camping etc... If tea-party factions of the Republican Party won, there wouldn't even be any public land to hike/camp on. If either choice means I can't hunt, at least I'd be able to enjoy nature. Obviously these are extreme examples, but there is truth in them.

PS. I'll still vote Trump since he's the only Republican candidate that publicly opposed the land grab.

Grizzly

All good posts in my opinion. Thanks for keeping it civil.

As long as the Federal Government can keep printing money we should be fine. :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom