Steadier shooting

outdoorsdude

A few months back I 'upgraded' to a new bow. Love the speed!!(294ish), even with a 485gr. arrow.

However, in getting to that I have lost weight and ATA. Now It just feels so much harder to hover the pin in. Out to 40 it's still all fine- as long as i follow through! (nothing new there, right?) But this new bow just feels so 'twitchy'.

Any thoughts on getting the pins to settle down at 50-60-70?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-12 AT 10:05PM (MST)[p]Stabilizers can make a big difference, but of equal importance is proper draw length. I mean down to the 1/8-1/4". When your skeletal alignment is right, the pin just sits there.

I have been shooting the Bee Stinger Sport Hunter Extremes this year and love them!

+1 on draw length!

Multi time world champ Dee Wilde, Reo's dad used to say that he could sort his draw length to a twist of the string or so by how the sight picture behaved.

Slow always moving and never settles is a sign of a long draw length. A sight that sits dead at first then herks and jerks more and more as you get the shot to go off is a sign of a short draw length. These take hundreds of hours of shooting to get a feel for though.

Another thing to look at is how you perform during the shot. Trying "harder" during the shot is a recipe for all kinds of disaster. Learn to "let" the body go dead to settle the pin rather than trying to "make" it become steady. Target archery at the highest level is a counter intuitive game. The more you "try" to make it sit the more it herks and jerks around resulting in the dready drive by shooting syndrome and target panic.

Learn to let it float and train the body to relax every muscle not required to hold the draw. In your practice conciously work on relaxing muscles not used specifically in the shot one at a time if you have to. One of the prime ones is the rib cage. Let it relax and settle like you are exhaling and slumping your shoulders. Let your rib cage settle to your core rather than puffing up and out like most of us do when over bowed.

As Yoda said in Star Wars. "No different, only in your mind. You must unlearn what you have learned. Try not! Do or Do Not! There is no try"

Cheers,
Pete

+1 on the Bee Stinger Sport Hunter. It took out all the sight shimmy, AND quieted the bow. Now all you hear is string swoosh.

Pete you may be on to something. Usually I draw and then exhale as I walk the pin in, kinda like rifle shooting. Been doing it for decades. Its just the 'order of things'. But the other day I caught myself just holding my breath. And I know that has to be affecting my shoulder and not relaxing it down.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom